Post Labor Day BRP and Gap trip

Howabusa

I am planning on leaving Wednesday, the 5th, for a  4 or 5 day trip. Tentatively planning to head down WV 16 to somewhere south of Gauley Bridge. I want to head over to the Blue Ridge from there. Trying to get one last trip in before the wife has her knee replacement surgery on the 14th.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

Might be doing the same but a couple weeks later. Have fun man.

I am going to try to have some fun. The wife will be down 4 to 8 weeks. I am starting a seasonal job driving a 26 foot straight truck on the 17th. 4 weeks of 40 to 60 hours a week for 4 weeks.

2 minutes ago, Howabusa said:

I am going to try to have some fun. The wife will be down 4 to 8 weeks. I am starting a seasonal job driving a 26 foot straight truck on the 17th. 4 weeks of 40 to 60 hours a week for 4 weeks.

I'm having surgery myself on Tuesday won't be able to ride for a couple weeks after. I'm hoping maybe the weekend before I go back to work I can throw the new bike on the trailer and make a Gap trip before I go back to work. 

47 minutes ago, what said:

Will be a whole new experience for you on a sportier bike, Tim. Just don't get too wild :p

Been there done that before but its been quite a few years. Probably 7 years since I had the old TL down there. Need to relearn a few things. I have noticed I'm running about the same pace I do on the connie but now it's effortless to do it instead of having to force the heavy pig into the corners. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 2talltim said:

I'm having surgery myself on Tuesday won't be able to ride for a couple weeks after. I'm hoping maybe the weekend before I go back to work I can throw the new bike on the trailer and make a Gap trip before I go back to work. 

You sure took a lot of this summer off! LOL

I was on the southernmost 10 mi of the BRP on Aug 21st and it had recently been chip-sealed.  Road had not been striped at that time and there was not a huge amount of loose stone, but enough for concern.

I'm not sure how far north the new paving goes, we turned around at Balsam Mountain picnic area.

Have a safe trip.

• Upvote 1

On 9/2/2018 at 11:59 AM, 2talltim said:

Been there done that before but its been quite a few years. Probably 7 years since I had the old TL down there. Need to relearn a few things. I have noticed I'm running about the same pace I do on the connie but now it's effortless to do it instead of having to force the heavy pig into the corners. 

Just wait until you add some body positioning. Connie will definitely feel like a fatty then.

And before you say I dont care about body position, you said it yourself it's easier to run the same pace, its going to be that much easier to reach the edge of the tire. Some bp will help keep more rubber on the road.

Edited by TimTheAzn

39 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Just wait until you add some body positioning. Connie will definitely feel like a fatty then.

And before you say I dont care about body position, you said it yourself it's easier to run the same pace, its going to be that much easier to reach the edge of the tire. Some bp will help keep more rubber on the road.

Oh I agree body position helps a lot I found myself using it on the Connie on Long sweepers especially roads like the cherohala skyway. If I don't do it I'm dragging hard Parts in every sweeper so I found it a necessity. But she's too heavy to flip back and forth on technical stuff

Yep I bought a bike that's the exact opposite of what I'm used to and that's what exactly what I wanted to do

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

I ended up running the BRP as far south as the Little Switzerland area. Rode part of 226, too much traffic, got some lunch and headed back north. My back tire is getting near the end of it’s life and didn’t want to chance it. Ran up the BRP to N.C. 221. I forgot what an awesome road it is from the BRP north to Blowing Rock. 15 to 20 miles of nice tight predictable  corners! Followed 221 to 16. Ran the Back of the Dragon and I am in Princeton WV for the night. Got a new sticker and t-shirt.

5E1A7BE2-21C3-41C0-BF9B-D9C2A8B9A587.jpeg

• Upvote 2