Hey Tpoppa

Myk88

I saw somewhere on here you mentioned CORE. I was a member there for a while long ago. I was wondering if you know what ever happened to Bill/Bambam? He and I took an insane blast down 26 to Marietta then back up 145 one spring day years ago when I burned the chicken strips off the new Metzelers on my GSXR at 155 mph on 26.

Is CORE gone and done for?

3 hours ago, Myk88 said:

I saw somewhere on here you mentioned CORE. I was a member there for a while long ago. I was wondering if you know what ever happened to Bill/Bambam? He and I took an insane blast down 26 to Marietta then back up 145 one spring day years ago when I burned the chicken strips off the new Metzelers on my GSXR at 155 mph on 26.

Is CORE gone and done for?

Bam bam moved to Washington and went to work for Microsoft. If I remember correctly. Pauly still has contact with him, I think. I am also an old core guy.

There is still a loose collection of the old core members of CORE.

I have very fond memories of CORE rides.  It was basically my weekend riding school for 10 years.  

First core ride was on a 1993 Suzuki Bandit 400.  Man that was a fun bike.  

Edited by Tpoppa
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

I chased that bike for many miles through SEO.

She's quick for her age. Up to about 90 it accelerates just as fast as the CBR1k. Granted Jacob has about a 150lb advantage going for him, but it still surprised me. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, what said:

She's quick for her age. Up to about 90 it accelerates just as fast as the CBR1k. Granted Jacob has about a 150lb advantage going for him, but it still surprised me. 

Or someone is getting a better drive on someone else :eatdrink:

8 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Hence the weight advantage comment. Drive wise, the cbr has the advantage but not by much up to about 90. Of course, if you ever came to the track with us the many times you've been invited you'd have experience with both bikes, but alas, you don't. :dunno:

1 hour ago, what said:

12 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Posted that pic in the other thread, but Andy is about to pass my ass, easily.  Drive or no drive, 9 years newer suspension and +100HP will lay a beat down.  It's fun to pretend I can hang in there with him, until he gets around, then woosh! See ya!   Love the second one of his CBR though, you can see the heat messing with the air coming out of the exhaust.  I'm sure there is a science-y term for that.

2307718.jpg

2307719.jpg

• Upvote 1

The internet says it's refraction from light traveling between a substance/substances with two different levels of transparency which causes vibration, resulting in a haze/mirage.

In the case of the exhaust, it would be hot air mixing with cold ambient air. Light travels faster/slower through things depending on how dense they are and with the cooler air being slightly denser than the hot air, you get the visual distortion. 

Jacob Hawkins, it's brilliant for me to see this bike still giving value in it's natural environment. As you obviously know: I rode her for a lot of miles before Pauly - she loves the track, but has a groovy time on the street too. 

Looks like you're pushing her nice and hard - just how she likes it.

Cheers!! Thanks for the great pics.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

Back in the day, I'd chase it on a 2003 Buell XB9S.

It felt less like you chasing, and more like you following politely until it was time to pass and leave me in the dust . . . 

My memory of you Tony, is pretty much as a dot in the far distance.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, what said:

Hence the weight advantage comment. Drive wise, the cbr has the advantage but not by much up to about 90. Of course, if you ever came to the track with us the many times you've been invited you'd have experience with both bikes, but alas, you don't. :dunno:

Big guys can get drives on smaller guys at our level every time if you got your bike pointed for exit properly. Happens to me with guys on 1k's all the fuck'n time. :lol:

Alternatively there are times (not really anymore since the bump) where I got drives on bigger bikes (600/1000) on my sv and they didn't think about coming around me until after the first kink at PIRC, where they had just enough roll speed to get in front of me and then park it through the second kink into the carousel. But that was in intermediate, no one plays that game in advanced. 

15 hours ago, bambam said:

It felt less like you chasing, and more like you following politely until it was time to pass and leave me in the dust . . . 

My memory of you Tony, is pretty much as a dot in the far distance.

I was able to pick up a little bit of speed at some point...but chasing you, Dave, Gary, Brian, Kevin, etc around SEO was my weekend riding school for several years.   

3 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Big guys can get drives on smaller guys at our level every time if you got your bike pointed for exit properly. Happens to me with guys on 1k's all the fuck'n time. :lol:

Alternatively there are times (not really anymore since the bump) where I got drives on bigger bikes (600/1000) on my sv and they didn't think about coming around me until after the first kink at PIRC, where they had just enough roll speed to get in front of me and then park it through the second kink into the carousel. But that was in intermediate, no one plays that game in advanced. 

Once the front wheel leaves the ground, that's the max amount of drive a person is going to get. I have to work on drive, but honestly that/braking zones are where I'm passing everyone unless they are really slow and I can get them on the outside in a corner. I generally don't like chancing an off-line corner pass at mid ohio though because grip can be iffy out in the sticks. Pitt is going to be a bit different I feel. Hopefully Izzy will be retired from active duty before we head to Pitt. At this rate though, archeologists 2,000 years from now might be digging up a fossilized half put together Daytona out of Iron Pony's buried remains. Poor @jacobhawkins :( 

Edited by what

26 minutes ago, what said:

Once the front wheel leaves the ground, that's the max amount of drive a person is going to get. I have to work on drive, but honestly that/braking zones are where I'm passing everyone unless they are really slow and I can get them on the outside in a corner. I generally don't like chancing an off-line corner pass at mid ohio though because grip can be iffy out in the sticks. Pitt is going to be a bit different I feel. Hopefully Izzy will be retired from active duty before we head to Pitt. At this rate though, archeologists 2,000 years from now might be digging up a fossilized half put together Daytona out of Iron Pony's buried remains. Poor @jacobhawkins :( 

Gotta keep that front wheel on the ground but lets be real, people better than you and I will still out-drive us on one wheel. If you get slowed and pointed correctly for a liter-bike exit, you should be able to still get a good drive if your front is floating or not. I don't need to tell you that's where the money is made riding a liter, getting slowed, pointed, back to WOT asap. What is this thing called corner speed? :lol:

PIRC's surface is sublime on or off line.

When the hell is that daytona rebuild going to be finished? 

Edited by TimTheAzn