2010 Concours 14

blue72beetle

On Saturday I bought a Dark Blue Concours 14. It was up in Michigan, 2.5 hours away, and after talking to him on the phone he said there was a bike in Indiana he wanted to buy, and he'd bring the Connie down on a trailer so I could look at it. Well I couldn't pass up free delivery.

19,000 miles. He said the previous owner had dropped it on the right side. There were scratches on the fairing and saddlebag that were poorly touched up. And the muffler is beat up, but those can be had for a dime a dozen since everyone takes them off for aftermarket. I was surprised at how quiet it is.

I guess I gotta stop trusting people. "Does it ride straight?" followed by "Yeah, no problems." really means: Yeah it rides straight but the handlebars tilt to the left. My fault for not test riding it. Service manual on order, so I can tear the front end apart and see if anything is bent and get it straightened back out. Or hopefully it was just tweaked and loosening everything up and re-torquing it will do it.

I rode it to the BMV on Monday to get all the paperwork done. I gotta be honest, I was expecting "OMG BEST BIKE EVER!" But it was kinda "meh". Yeah, it goes 1st, 2nd, 70mph, but it seems like you gotta really wind it up to get that kick in the pants pull you off the bike feeling that my GSXS has. Maybe it needs that famous Shoodabeen ECU flash? Stock seat sucks balls. I have a used Saddlemen seat coming, but I suspect I will probably go through a few before I find one I really like. Metal rack on order too, so I can use the larger top case from my V-Strom.

I do like it though. Haven't tried it 2-up yet, and that's why I bought it. I wanted something better for hauling my G/F and I all over the country at interstate speeds. The V-Strom 650 was no fun at all going across South Dakota at 80mph.

IMG_20180811_174009-XL.jpg

• Upvote 1

ECU flash is a must. Your welcome to ride mine if you wanna try it out first. Terry's Custom Seat is the only way to go. Again welcome to try mine out. I have a stock pipe on the shelf but honestly once you take your off a realize how heavy it is your going to want a aftermarket. Sucks about the front end. I was kind wondering why a 2010 had EBC rotors on it, by 2010 I think they had the warping brake issue fixed by putting the thicker ZX14 rotors on them.

Ask any question if you get in a bind I pretty versed on the model by now. 

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the tip on the manual. I downloaded an 08/09 manual a few days ago, but didn't know about that one, it's a 2010+.

I know it sounds crazy, but I like quiet bikes. Are the mufflers all the same throughout the years? Want to sell yours?

There are some quiet aftermarket pipes that look better, and they ate significantly lighter.  Put an aftermarket exhaust with an ECU rehash, and it really wakes up  the bike. 

If you're ever on Columbus, you can also try my bike.  I have the old Guhl ECU reflash with a slip on pipe.   With the silencer insert, it is not loud. 

Good luck on getting it sorted out. 

Edited by Connie14

11 hours ago, blue72beetle said:

I know it sounds crazy, but I like quiet bikes. Are the mufflers all the same throughout the years? Want to sell yours?

I might let it go if you can't find another one. I was keeping it around in case I ever laid the bike down and needed something to put back on. Mine does have a bad buzz in it. Not sure why. Something is loose inside the pipe and it buzzed the one time i put it on to hear what it sounded like. Most guys will give them away if you pick it up or pay freight. 

28 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

I might let it go if you can't find another one. I was keeping it around in case I ever laid the bike down and needed something to put back on. Mine does have a bad buzz in it. Not sure why. Something is loose inside the pipe and it buzzed the one time i put it on to hear what it sounded like. Most guys will give them away if you pick it up or pay freight. 

Cmon man... We all know you... If you ever lay it down, you'll use it as an excuse to upgrade everything, just like the rest of us 😂.... That stock can will never go back on 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Steve Butters said:

Cmon man... We all know you... If you ever lay it down, you'll use it as an excuse to upgrade everything, just like the rest of us 😂.... That stock can will never go back on 

Well here is the inside scoop. If I lay her down and need to replace her I'm just going to buy another Connie. So hopfully she goes down on the left side and I can take the pipe off and put on the next one. But I'd need to put the stocker back on If they need one on it. 

Not saying I won't give it to Andy just saying feel out what out there and if nothing else pops up it's all his. I won't let him pay for one before I give him mine. 

But seriously take the can off and feel the weight. Or I can weigh mine tonight and tell you how heavy that brick truly is. IT"S ALOT!!!!

12 hours ago, Connie14 said:

Too bad this wasn't a few years ago.  I threw my stock exhaust in the trash.  I have no use for a boat anchor. 

I did the same with mine. I couldn't even find a scrap yard that would take the muffler or the catalytic converter and I drove all over phoenix. After the 4th place I said fuck it and tossed the shit in the trash. I also had a stock axle-back exhaust from a mustang in the trunk and they wouldn't take it either. I felt like I was in the twilight zone; where the fuck do all these meth heads sell this shit??

• Haha 2