Out of state bike purchasing (input needed)

cmh_sprint

I have my eye on a bike that is currently located in Southern Florida and looking for input on several items. 

1) Recommendations on how to handle the financial transaction. Wouldn’t want to carry the cash for numerous reasons. 

2) How to make the bike legal, plate/registration wise, to ride it home. 

3) Getting my gear to Florida. UPS/FedEx?

Your CHL is valid in Florida.

Registration is going to be an issue. I can't think of a way to even get a temp tag until you own it. You are going to have to use your old plate and run from the cops if they light you up.

Insurance will be automatic per Ohio law for a vehicle purchase. But call them anyway.

Put your shit in a cheap bag, throw it away when you get there. The bag, not the gear.

Edited by Tonik

Where exactly in South Florida? If it's anywhere near my Dad he might be able to help out with shipping gear to or whatever but I like Tonik's idea best. Cheap ass carry on and stuff in the gear or if you've got a decent bag setup from current bike that can go on new bike?

I just did this, well in Indiana/Illinois.

1. Depends a bit on whether the seller has a lien on the bike. Actually easier if he does though you'll have to do the deal on a weekday. Get a certified check from your bank or credit union. Check with the seller's bank/etc. they will probably want to call your bank to be certain the check is legit. General lack of trust nowadays.:) Be certain your bank will be able to provide that assurance.

2. Title & plates: Most states only require the seller's signature on the title. Some require that the sig includes a notary signature - another reason to do this at the bank, or at a DMV. Ohio does not require the notary for the title.

2A. Most states will provide a "Drive away" permit for people that are taking a bike or car out of state. WV, and probably Ohio will honor that plate (or probably just a strip of printer paper.) The permit is good for anywhere from 7 to 30 days.  Check with whatever they call the BMV or DMV in FL.

2B. Depending on the price you get, you might need a notarized statement of the sale price. WV collects sales/property tax when you exchange the title so they charge the NADA blue book price unless you have a notarized bill of sale or same info if the price was lower.

3. Carry on, unless you really want to trust the gorillas in the luggage dept with your helmet.

Enjoy those straight flat roads - and the humidity!

Good luck!

• Beer 1