Motor rebuild after floated valve, what to look for?

jacobhawkins

Floated a valve on the Daytona early this season.  Destroyed piston 3 etc.  I'm under warranty and thought Triumph was sending a crate motor until now.  Turns out they want to rebuild it.  What questions do I need to ask or things to be aware of as they do this.  Not happy about this turn if events, and while I am confident in the dealer to do their best work, I would have preferred an OEM drop in solution. 

20180714_165815.jpg

20180714_165819.jpg

I’d think they would obviously be putting in new valves, piston and rings. The things I would be concerned about on top of that are the rod and valve guides. Looks like there was some major contact with the piston and valves there. I’d be asking about all the shrapnel that went through your motor as well. My advice is just based off of damage I’ve done to single cylinder quad motors, so others may have better advice. Sorry to hear they’re changing things up on you. I hope they get the bike back to you before the end of the season and it’s as good as new when you get it. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, TimTheAzn said:

They going to hone the cyl? What about the head? It looks mangled. I'd be pretty pissed at them wanting to rebuild it. More time, more money, more of a chance they didn't put it back together right. 

My concerns exactly.  I would imagine they'd need to hone the cylinder and mill the head at a minimum.  How does it go back to stock with that work done?  Don't know yet.  I'm going to the dealer after work and hope to talk with the tech about the game plan.

28 minutes ago, durk said:

I’d think they would obviously be putting in new valves, piston and rings. The things I would be concerned about on top of that are the rod and valve guides. Looks like there was some major contact with the piston and valves there. I’d be asking about all the shrapnel that went through your motor as well. My advice is just based off of damage I’ve done to single cylinder quad motors, so others may have better advice. Sorry to hear they’re changing things up on you. I hope they get the bike back to you before the end of the season and it’s as good as new when you get it. 

New valves, pistons, rings, hone cyclinder(s)?  Loads of shrapnel for sure, thing grenaded.  Part of the issue with this is, if they do have to grind the motor, who is going to do that?  Dealer doesn't have those tools and I don't know a shop around that would touch a warranty engine job.  And I'm a tool and die machinist!  I'd rather wait until next year if that meant I got a totally fresh motor.  Season is about over and I have the Ducati still.  Can't float a valve on that!

Edited by jacobhawkins

22 minutes ago, jacobhawkins said:

New valves, pistons, rings, hone cyclinder(s)?  Loads of shrapnel for sure, thing grenaded.  Part of the issue with this is, if they do have to grind the motor, who is going to do that?  Dealer doesn't have those tools and I don't know a shop around that would touch a warranty engine job.  And I'm a tool and die machinist!  I'd rather wait until next year if that meant I got a totally fresh motor.  Season is about over and I have the Ducati still.  Can't float a valve on that!

As far as cylinder goes, my guess is it is nikasil coated. They would have to send it out to be coated. I would assume that is being done as well with piston and valves. For my quad I had a buddy who works at Wiseco he had it sent out for me. I’m not even sure where he sent it. 

So I talked with the warranty service person and the tech who are working on my bike.  They requested a crate motor and Triumph responded saying they don't have one available.  :dunno:  They now have to completely tear down the bottom end and potentially/likely the transmission to see where every issue is and individually request those parts.  Nobody at the dealership is happy about that but it sounds like they are going to basically request a whole motor minus the case.  I'm good with that.  At the end of the day, I'm thrilled the issue will be taken care of, disappointed in how long it's taking, but overall I'm feeling good.  At least that's what I keep telling myself!  haha

• Upvote 1

That’s good news if they’re going go all the way through it including the transmission. That’s the right way to do it. I’d hate to be the guy doing it. Sounds like you have a quality dealer you’re working with. 

2 minutes ago, durk said:

That’s good news if they’re going go all the way through it including the transmission. That’s the right way to do it. I’d hate to be the guy doing it. Sounds like you have a quality dealer you’re working with. 

When the dust settles, I'll be leaving the most glowing review of this dealer that's ever been written.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Steve Butters said:

its baffling to me that the mfg doesn't have a crate engine available

agreed.  I'm going with the idea that they quit making this motor in 2017, and because it's technically a '14 bike, they might be saving any motors they are hoarding for newer bikes.  Who knows?

• Upvote 1

I stopped by the dealer yesterday to check on the progress and see if they'd ordered anything yet.  Turns out they have, and nearly everything is in.  Couple big things still on order, a crank and a connecting rod, and some smaller stuff like specific bolts and a bearing or two.  I talked to another friend about this, and he said that Triumph has never had crate motors for anything, ever.  Weird.  Haven't confirmed that independently though.  The service writers showed me the order sheet for the parts, and it's literally as if they went down the BikeBandit assembly for the engine and clicked "add to shopping cart" for everything.  The parts retail north of $8k.  I quickly ran back the mechanic's bay and gave him a thumbs up.  I'm thinking a month.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Casper said:

What dealer out of curiosity? 

When I roll out of the dealership on my Daytona I'll let everyone know all about it.  At this point, I know some members here work there and don't need to bring that kind of scrutiny to anything. 

• 4 weeks later...

Ex Triumph tech here. I wanna +1 to this whole thread.

do not over-rev the new one lmao

Bring the mech some beer, a $20 or something. their hearts sank not getting a crate motor too, I'm sure...at least mine would. But talked to many people in this field and they seem to think a crate motor is unusual for most manufacturers. IDK im at a Kawi place and they wouldnt do a new one on z900 leaking oil from the head and Kaw is about the most lenient/cool ppl Ive seen for that stuff. Sent a bare head and gasket, had to re-use everything else.

Edited by ped

its way cheaper for them specifically because they just screw the techs out of labor and get to markup parts exponentially. They pay marginally more hours to rebuild than to do a swap maybe.... 1.5-2x. Its a joke when you know what goes into doing a rebuild proper, the skills needed, and the tools required. I do my damndest to not fool with the stuff.

• 3 weeks later...