Motor rebuild after floated valve, what to look for?

jacobhawkins

And in the oil pan I saw

Ten  metal shavings, maybe more

On the timing chain there was some slack

In the head casting I saw a crack

And coolant was dripping on the pipes

Need more shop wipes

This is the sound of Triumph

Edited by Pauly
  • Beer 1
  • Haha 2

"FOOLS" said I " You do not know"

I ride as fast as the wind blows

I'll rev it higher than the eagles soar

Going faster than I did before

But the exhaust note went quiet as a church mouse fart

Damn it won't start

Listen to the sound of Triumph.

Edited by Pauly
  • Beer 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

How in the world? I’m sure I could go online right now and order the correct bearings. Maybe you should ask them if they would like you to order the parts for them. 

3 hours ago, jacobhawkins said:

Jesus Christ.  They ordered the wrong fucking bearings.  And we wait.

christ

hopefully they can get the bearings in early next week and get it to you by the end of the week... 3 weeks until we leave for 'Bama. 

8 hours ago, what said:

christ

hopefully they can get the bearings in early next week and get it to you by the end of the week... 3 weeks until we leave for 'Bama. 

As nicely as I could I told them I have an event before the end of the month and I'd like to take the bike.  Have to do break in after I get it back still.  That's probably a week down alone.  I'm beginning to lose hope the Daytona will make the trip.

9 hours ago, durk said:

How in the world? I’m sure I could go online right now and order the correct bearings. Maybe you should ask them if they would like you to order the parts for them. 

Haha!  I about said that!  I wanted to reach through the phone and smack someone, but then I tell myself they probably want it out *almost* as bad as I do and everyone makes mistakes.  Just keep breathing...  Izzy is looking better and better every moment.  Need to order a new helmet anyway, might get some real good brake pads while I'm at it.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jacobhawkins said:

I tell myself they probably want it out *almost* as bad as I do and everyone makes mistakes.  Just keep breathing...  Izzy is looking better and better every moment.  Need to order a new helmet anyway, might get some real good brake pads while I'm at it.

I wish you were a more positive guy. 

Great outlook. I hope they have it finished in time for your trip. 

• 1 month later...

Any more poems?

Called Triumph USA HQ in Georgia.  They are just as surprised as I am about it not being done.  That's right, still not done.  All the parts were in two weeks ago and part of the motor just made it into the bike.  Valve cover and clutch cover off.  No electronics hooked up.  The tires are probably dry rotted.  Weeee....  picture is from Tuesday.  Beyond overdue. 

When I told the Triumph guy I took my 20 year old Duc out instead of the Daytona he laughed nervously.  At least I got that in!  

received_2734062486819674.jpeg

Edited by jacobhawkins

Dude everywhere i worked, including triumph, they loved mechs who had shit for 6-9 months. Made them leads, never said a word, everybody thought it was normal....it justified the price i had one say. The industry is a joke.

Always these MMI guys who think theyre gods gift to the industry, $70k in snap-on garbage, come backs galore. Its sad.

Edited by ped

Back orders happen...for 3, 5, 9 weeks. Lay money on this is a case of tearing it down for the third time cause something isnt right.

These dudes always want hourly cause they cant make money on flat rate between dragging ass and redoing jobs.

Edited by ped

57 minutes ago, ped said:

Dude everywhere i worked, including triumph, they loved mechs who had shit for 6-9 months. Made them leads, never said a word, everybody thought it was normal....it justified the price i had one say. The industry is a joke.

Always these MMI guys who think theyre gods gift to the industry, $70k in snap-on garbage, come backs galore. Its sad.

50 minutes ago, ped said:

Back orders happen...for 3, 5, 9 weeks. Lay money on this is a case of tearing it down for the third time cause something isnt right.

These dudes always want hourly cause they cant make money on flat rate between dragging ass and redoing jobs.

That’s just depressing. 

Yeah I learned dealers want to lose money on service because theyre contractually obliged to have a service department by the manufacturers. It lets them write it off as a business expense. Thats why they like it when the keep jobs like this for months.

Edited by ped

• 2 weeks later...