Urban likely knew about Zach Smith domestic violence

Casper

Without criminal charges being filed on Zach Smith,  OSU and Meyer would have been sued for improper termination of employment for firing Smith.  It`s not wise to hold a head coach responsible for an employee`s actions away from the workplace (and outside the scope of employment).

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Connie14 said:

Without criminal charges being filed on Zach Smith,  OSU and Meyer would have been sued for improper termination of employment for firing Smith.  It`s not wise to hold a head coach responsible for an employee`s actions away from the workplace (and outside the scope of employment).

Wasn’t Zach Smith fired because he got into trouble due to violating a protection order his wife/ex had against him? 

In this case, Urban is in trouble with Title IX. If he knew of allegations against Zach Smith, he must say something. However, as I understand it, the police investigated and didn’t charge him. So now the question becomes if Urban did know, but also knew the police were involved, did he have an obligation to do anything? It still looks bad if he knew but told the media he didn’t. That makes it look like he’s hiding/covering something. 

Either way, this isn’t sexually abusing children for decades. The Penn State and Michigan fans laughing and comparing this to Penn State on FB is repulsive. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Casper said:

Wasn’t Zach Smith fired because he got into trouble due to violating a protection order his wife/ex had against him? 

In this case, Urban is in trouble with Title IX. If he knew of allegations against Zach Smith, he must say something. However, as I understand it, the police investigated and didn’t charge him. So now the question becomes if Urban did know, but also knew the police were involved, did he have an obligation to do anything? It still looks bad if he knew but told the media he didn’t. That makes it look like he’s hiding/covering something. 

Either way, this isn’t sexually abusing children for decades. The Penn State and Michigan fans laughing and comparing this to Penn State on FB is repulsive. 

Yes, he was fired for violating a protection order (which is a criminal offense).   Firing Smith before the the criminal action opens up potential liability for OSU and Meyer for improper termination. 

Title IX was created to ensure gender equity.   It was not created for a governmental institution to control personal actions outside the scope of employment. 

Let due process take its time.  Too many people are too quick to make hasty decisions.  There will be lots of currently unknown information coming out in the near future. 

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Connie14 said:

Yes, he was fired for violating a protection order (which is a criminal offense).   Firing Smith before the the criminal action opens up potential liability for OSU and Meyer for improper termination. 

Title IX was created to ensure gender equity.   It was not created for a governmental institution to control personal actions outside the scope of employment. 

Let due process take its time.  Too many people are too quick to make hasty decisions.  There will be lots of currently unknown information coming out in the near future. 

Unfortunately, here’s Ohio State’s Title IX definition of domestic violence:

Domestic violence 

Conduct that would meet the definition of a felony or misdemeanor crime of violence committed by the complainant’s current or former spouse or intimate partner, a person with whom the complainant shares a child in common, a person who is or has cohabitated with the complainant as a spouse or intimate partner, or individual similarly situated to a spouse under domestic or family violence law, or anyone else protected under the domestic or family violence law of the jurisdiction in which the offense occurred. An individual need not be charged with or convicted of a criminal offense to be found responsible for domestic violence pursuant to this policy.

From: http://titleix.osu.edu/sidebar-resources/what-is-title-ix/definitions.html

It’s also in their sexual misconduct policy: https://hr.osu.edu/wp-content/uploads/policy115.pdf

Title IX includes manadatory reporting per OSU's policy:

IV. Employee Duty to Report

• A. The university is committed to stopping sexual misconduct, preventing its recurrence, eliminating any hostile environment, and remedying its discriminatory effects. All university employees have reporting responsibilities to ensure the university can take appropriate action.
  • B. Employees with a duty to report should refer to the chart in section V-Reporting Allegations of Sexual Misconduct.
  • C. All university employees, except those exempted by legal privilege of confidentiality or expressly identified as a confidential reporter, have an obligation to report incidents of sexual assault. Any employee who receives a disclosure of a sexual assault or becomes aware of information that would lead a reasonable person to believe that a sexual assault may have occurred involving anyone covered under this policy, must report all known information immediately.
  • D. In addition to the requirement of reporting incidents of sexual assault, the following members of the university community have an additional obligation to report all other incidents of sexual misconduct, when they receive a disclosure of sexual misconduct or become aware of information that would lead a reasonable person to believe that sexual misconduct may have occurred involving anyone covered under this policy. These individuals must report the incident within five work days of becoming aware of such information:
    • 1. Any human resource professional (HRP);
    • 2. Anyone who supervises faculty, staff, students, or volunteers;
    • 3. Chair/director; and
    • 4. Faculty member.

That’s the issue at hand as I understand it. Urban told the media he knew nothing about the allegations until moments before a press conference. Now it’s coming to light he probably knew since his wife definitely did, and he probably didn’t report it. If he did, I sure hope he has a paper trail. 

• Beer 1

6 hours ago, Casper said:

Unfortunately, here’s Ohio State’s Title IX definition of domestic violence:

From: http://titleix.osu.edu/sidebar-resources/what-is-title-ix/definitions.html

It’s also in their sexual misconduct policy: https://hr.osu.edu/wp-content/uploads/policy115.pdf

Title IX includes manadatory reporting per OSU's policy:

That’s the issue at hand as I understand it. Urban told the media he knew nothing about the allegations until moments before a press conference. Now it’s coming to light he probably knew since his wife definitely did, and he probably didn’t report it. If he did, I sure hope he has a paper trail. 

Title IX has grown in size and scope from its original purpose:

https://www.justice.gov/crt/overview-title-ix-education-amendments-1972-20-usc-1681-et-seq

17 hours ago, Connie14 said:

It`s not wise to hold a head coach responsible for an employee`s actions away from the workplace (and outside the scope of employment).

THIS.

Also, why did this lady tell Urban's wife, not go to the POLICE. The Meyers are not the POLICE.

Edited by TimTheAzn

On 8/1/2018 at 10:33 PM, Connie14 said:

Nah, Ohio is an at will state. I can fire you because you spilled a beer on me.

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tonik said:

This is true. Still bullshit that someone else's personal matters could screw this man out of a job. My friends tell me about all the illegal stupid shit they do all the time. I don't feel I need to tell my boss about it.

Edited by TimTheAzn

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

That is true, Ohio is an at will state.  Lawsuits for improper termination are not uncommon.   We have settled a couple of these at work, because we could settle it for less than the attorney fees to defend it.  It drives me crazy when we do it. 

Too bad I didn't have two beers. :lol:

According to Zach Smith,  Gene Smith and OSU were aware of 2015 allegations:

www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2018/08/94914/zach-smith-says-he-never-committed-domestic-abuse-in-first-public-interview-since-firing

There will be many more revelations. 

Can we have our coach back? :dunno:

6 minutes ago, Connie14 said:

That is true, Ohio is an at will state.  Lawsuits for improper termination are not uncommon.   We have settled a couple of these at work, because we could settle it for less than the attorney fees to defend it.  It drives me crazy when we do it. 

Too bad I didn't have two beers. :lol:

Yea, it costs more on those cases today. But if you fight and win bullshit cases the losing attorneys will stop filling them in the future because they just worked their ass off with no payday.

They do it now cuz they know in most cases they will get a check.

• Beer 1

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Casper said:

Gene Smith admits he knew and that it was his responsibility, not Urban’s, to report the incident. Why’s he only getting a two week suspension? 

Gene also admitted that he was the one that told Urban.  How do you reprimand an employee, if their superior tells them about the incident?

Drake should be gone within a year or two. 

• Upvote 1