New Harleys...no, really.

Tpoppa

8 minutes ago, MidgetTodd said:

I said many times I’d never own a Harley. 

But, the street fighter could sway me. I’d definitely take a demo ride on it at least 

I'd check out the streetfighter as well. I'll reserve judgement til I drag my nuts across one, but guessing it's basically an xb12 but slower. If they did anything to push the hp up towards triple digits I'd be amazed. 

19 minutes ago, MidgetTodd said:

I said many times I’d never own a Harley. 

But, the street fighter could sway me. I’d definitely take a demo ride on it at least 

It's supposed to be an all new liquid cooled 975cc mill.  They mentioned competing with the Ducati Monster and BMW S1000R.  I have my doubts.

If they stuck with their design by committee philosophy where the styling dept makes the final decisions, then I expect it to be poorly executed, under powered, & overweight.  Who knows, maybe they learned something from that joke of a Street Rod.

I like the Indian Flat Tracker concept better... 

Edited by Tpoppa

Remember when HD dumped Buell so they could focus on their core business of chrome couches? Or when HD bought MV Agusta, sunk a bunch of money into their infrastructure, then sold the brand at a huge loss?

Buell insiders claimed they had a dirt capable bike that was just starting production at the time when Buell was shuttered. 

Anyone remember the Buell Barracuda that was killed off?

https://rideapart.com/articles/buell-barracuda-2-what-could-have-been

What are the chances that these HD bikes are going to be any better than MVs or the Buells concepts?  They'll almost certainly be heavier and slower.

....and HD dealers have no ideal how to sell anything other than cruisers.  They only stock HD brander gear.  And only stock OEM tires.  Not a recipe for success in the ADV or sporty markets.

Harley seems a bit confused on their strategy.  

2 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

....and HD dealers have no ideal how to sell anything other than cruisers.  They only stock HD brander gear.  And only stock OEM tires.  Not a recipe for success in the ADV or sporty markets.

Harley seems a bit confused on their strategy.  

They have 2 years to adjust. I foresee new marketing strategies aimed at younger riders and those weirdo ADV types. Main thing is the numbers. If they cant manufacture a mill capable of 100+ hp FROM FACTORY for the streetfighter, nobody is going to even look. Sport bike guys want something fast, fuck names....unless you're a pasta boy....

1 minute ago, GSX-Sam said:

They have 2 years to adjust. I foresee new marketing strategies aimed at younger riders and those weirdo ADV types. Main thing is the numbers. If they cant manufacture a mill capable of 100+ hp FROM FACTORY for the streetfighter, nobody is going to even look. Sport bike guys want something fast, fuck names....unless you're a pasta boy....

Buell existed for 25 years.

HD dealers marketed the 130hp, 400lb Buell 1125R as a beginner bike, so some day you could step up to the 65hp, 800lb geezer glide.

• Haha 1

The street fighter looks sorta ok.  I'd be extremely surprised if the Harley engineers have the chops to make competitive bikes for these markets. Everybody else had a 20 to 30 year head start.  At least they finally listened to the advice that I submitted when I kept getting Harley's "own the bike of your dreams" mailings.  Prolly keep the Super Duke though.

Doesn't really matter how heavy they are, nor how much power they have.  Whomever rides it will still be incapable of doing the speed limit, and well revel in riding side by side with other HD riders and 10mph under the speed limit and holding up traffic on two lane roads.   Its a Harley thing, you wouldn't understand.   

• Upvote 2

I like that they’re trying something, but it’s pretty hard to just jump into a well-established segment and be immediately competitive. 

Even if this is a great first-effort, i doubt it will be on par with the competition. 

Would you buy Kia’s first pickup truck?

4 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

Would you buy Kia’s first pickup truck?

I mean, as far as Hyundai/Kia have come and improved since 2011, I personally wouldn't rule it out depending on the purpose. To tow heavy things with, no, but I'm sure it'd be competitive with something like a Ridgeline, Frontier, etc being a more car like truck with a bed for utility and towing light loads. Not everyone intends to tow 4,000-10,000lbs with a pickup. Motorcyclists in particular mainly want one as a toy hauler which you don't need a very high load or tow capacity for. For a normal commuting/daily driver car I'd buy Hyundai/Kia in a heartbeat over an American brand. 

12 minutes ago, 8Rider6 said:

I'm sure it'd be competitive with something like a Ridgeline,

The Ridgeline is one of the best "I only need a truck every once in a while" trucks out there right now. Kia's theoretical truck probably wouldn't compete with it in terms of quality. Price, yea that would be easy to beat as the Ridgeline is $$.

Edited by TimTheAzn

19 hours ago, motocat12 said:

harley got their streetfighter and diavel mixed up.

I knew I had seen that bike before

Diavel-Diesel-MY18-Dark-01Model-Preview_

Looks and awful lot like the HD "street fighter"

Interesting that Ducati making a cruiser and HD making a sportbike end up at the same place :lol: