I'm the new guy

Chris Schanz

Hello there, glad to be here.

I just recently got into motorcycles and I'm about as raw as it gets. My fiance and I purchased our first bike in April [2009 Yamaha V-Star 650], completed the Motorcycle Ohio class last week and got our endorsements four days ago.

While I'm still getting familiar with the world of motorcycling, I'm pumped to get on with this new hobby. I've taken the bike out for a couple tours around town (Grand Lake area) but nothing with too much speed or distance just yet. That will come.

Just looking to gain as much knowledge about bikes as I can, and hopefully meet some fellow hobbyists along the way.

Take 'er easy on me please!

37888353_10101031578302682_3559280251924119552_o.jpg

Welcome! I noticed the half shell on your seat, you should look into full face. My ex gf witnessed a dude basically lose his face while wearing a half shell and was traumatized by it. Motorcycles are a ton of fun, but close calls happen frequently. Safety first! Welcome

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, Steve Butters said:

Welcome! I noticed the half shell on your seat, you should look into full face. My ex gf witnessed a dude basically lose his face while wearing a half shell and was traumatized by it. Motorcycles are a ton of fun, but close calls happen frequently. Safety first! Welcome

The half shell was given to me. It's only temporary until I can find a full-face helmet I like.

18 minutes ago, jacobhawkins said:

Great pic, glad you took the class and I hope you both enjoy the hobby together.  What's the second bike going to be?

We're not quite sure yet. I'm in the minority in that I don't have a personal preference as to what kind of bike I want. As long as it is comfortable, has two wheels, a motor, and all the other necessary stuff to ride, I'm OK with it. For now we just wanted a bike we both can ride separately (this is a little big for her and a little small for me) as well as together, once we've learned to ride with passengers.

I'm learning this V-Star is a great starter bike. Maybe I'll keep it for a while, who knows. I just know that I'll be the one to always have room for a passenger, that way we can ride on the same bike. She really wants an Indian Scout, so I'll take one for the team and let her have what she wants when its feasible for us to have our own bikes.