Shoop

Unicorn Found

I've been riding my FZ6 for almost 5 years now and I still love it. But I was thinking that I could get the wife to ride with more often with a bike that has better ergos for the passenger, so I was thinking of an FJR. I mentioned this to @JustinNck1 who promptly told me that he had seen a great deal on a 2016 in the FJR forums. 

I titled this as a unicorn because used 2016's are so rare and one for $8000 with a measley 31000 miles is beyond rare.

697364312_JacksFJR1.jpg.b88529eeb875143f212c4a79210b557c.jpg1830334238_JacksFJR2.jpg.453dea08b04f54c07887a2868ca84d30.jpg

I was worried that this larger bike wouldn't be as much fun in the twisties. But it's great. My neighbor and I ran 26 & 800 today and it was great. 

The bike is much heavier to maneuver in a parking lot but it handles wonderfully.

Edited by Shoop
  • Beer 1
  • Upvote 2

Glad to see everything worked out for you. The deal seemed too good to be true, but sometimes you just get lucky.

Very nice FJR, may have one of those in my stable one day!

Why are 2016's so rare? First year of the new gen? Best year of that gen? 

6 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

You got me curious so I googled it... 

In December 2015 Yamaha introduced a revised FJR for 2016, with, among other changes, a 6-speed transmission (both in standard and automated versions), slipper/assist clutch, LED head and tail lights and LED cornering lights.

1 hour ago, TimTheAzn said:

2016 is the fourth year for a Gen3, but had several updates. Plus everyone likes the blue.

2 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Tim,

What I meant is that it is rare to find a used 2016 for sale. Yamaha sold quite a few. But they haven't been out very long and not many guys are willing to sell them. The few used ones that are up for sale are mostly very lightly used ones (garage queens or wife crisis "you bought a WHAT???") and the owners want to get most of their purchase price back. The bike I bought was owned by a 70 yr old guy that racked up 31,000 miles in two summers then decided that he's done riding. He wanted a quick sale so he can get his convertible.I got it plus a top case for less than half of the list price. I am not at all worried about the mileage because it was well maintained and because these bikes run carefree for a long time.

Tyler - the trick corner lights only come on the ES electronic suspension version. The A model gets just about all the other goodies except the fancy suspension, oh, and inverted forks.

Chris

Guy I work with has a 2016 with 3,500 miles he has rode twice this year. 

1 hour ago, GSX-Sam said:

Guy I work with has a 2016 with 3,500 miles he has rode twice this year. 

Ahem ....  garage queen... Some day somebody will get a good deal on a low mileage bike  - hopefully without rust in the fuel pump.

But to try to be fair, maybe he's busy right now and plans or hopes to take a big trip soon. Depending on your life circumstances, it can be hard to find time to ride. I took a 25-year break from riding. Was really busy with the kids and job. Didn't miss it enough to keep a bike in the garage with stale gasoline. ☺️  I sold my 77 RD400 to my brother-in-law. I really wish he would have kept it up or sold it. It's been in his barn for years, with a mouse nest in the seat.