Unicorn Found

Shoop

I've been riding my FZ6 for almost 5 years now and I still love it. But I was thinking that I could get the wife to ride with more often with a bike that has better ergos for the passenger, so I was thinking of an FJR. I mentioned this to @JustinNck1 who promptly told me that he had seen a great deal on a 2016 in the FJR forums. 

I titled this as a unicorn because used 2016's are so rare and one for $8000 with a measley 31000 miles is beyond rare.

697364312_JacksFJR1.jpg.b88529eeb875143f212c4a79210b557c.jpg1830334238_JacksFJR2.jpg.453dea08b04f54c07887a2868ca84d30.jpg

I was worried that this larger bike wouldn't be as much fun in the twisties. But it's great. My neighbor and I ran 26 & 800 today and it was great. 

The bike is much heavier to maneuver in a parking lot but it handles wonderfully.

Edited by Shoop
  • Beer 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Why are 2016's so rare? First year of the new gen? Best year of that gen? 

You got me curious so I googled it... 

In December 2015 Yamaha introduced a revised FJR for 2016, with, among other changes, a 6-speed transmission (both in standard and automated versions), slipper/assist clutch, LED head and tail lights and LED cornering lights.

2 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Why are 2016's so rare? First year of the new gen? Best year of that gen? 

Tim,

What I meant is that it is rare to find a used 2016 for sale. Yamaha sold quite a few. But they haven't been out very long and not many guys are willing to sell them. The few used ones that are up for sale are mostly very lightly used ones (garage queens or wife crisis "you bought a WHAT???") and the owners want to get most of their purchase price back. The bike I bought was owned by a 70 yr old guy that racked up 31,000 miles in two summers then decided that he's done riding. He wanted a quick sale so he can get his convertible.I got it plus a top case for less than half of the list price. I am not at all worried about the mileage because it was well maintained and because these bikes run carefree for a long time.

Tyler - the trick corner lights only come on the ES electronic suspension version. The A model gets just about all the other goodies except the fancy suspension, oh, and inverted forks.

Chris

1 hour ago, GSX-Sam said:

Guy I work with has a 2016 with 3,500 miles he has rode twice this year. 

Ahem ....  garage queen... Some day somebody will get a good deal on a low mileage bike  - hopefully without rust in the fuel pump.

But to try to be fair, maybe he's busy right now and plans or hopes to take a big trip soon. Depending on your life circumstances, it can be hard to find time to ride. I took a 25-year break from riding. Was really busy with the kids and job. Didn't miss it enough to keep a bike in the garage with stale gasoline. ☺️  I sold my 77 RD400 to my brother-in-law. I really wish he would have kept it up or sold it. It's been in his barn for years, with a mouse nest in the seat. 

• 2 months later...

@max power Hey Max, Sorry but I quit shopping right after I bought this one. At the time, July 27, there was a nice 2014 near New Philly but that one was off of craigslist right after I bought mine.

Best of luck finding one that you like. Now is the season to get some deals.

@max power does it have to be FJR?

not sure what you’re looking for as far as price goes but here are a couple of Concours near me

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2008-kawasaki-zg-concours/6682509420.html

https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/mcy/d/kawasaki-concours-zg1400-abs/6700695626.html

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, durk said:

not sure what you’re looking for as far as price goes but here are a couple of Concours near me

"Bike finder Rick", I would like a Great Used Deal on a decked out Honda Fury! so that I may go gentle into that night and ride away forever.

Edited by B-Mac
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, max power said:

Thanks man.  

That first one is right in my wheelhouse!

Just keep in mind the 08 and 09 put off a lot of heat towards the rider  vs the 10 and ups. Not a deal breaker for me I've just gotten used to it over the years..