Handicap Stand your Ground incident

TimTheAzn

21 minutes ago, Casper said:

Wow. That's so messed up. If I came out of a store and saw some dude yelling at my wife (in a handicap space or not, don't care) I'd lose my shit. Guess I would've got shot in that situation. 

+1. Doesn't make sense you can start a confrontation and then suddenly become a victim. I understand stand your ground laws, but this is just stupid. 

So do you guys think this is a "good" or "bad" shoot? @Steve Butters @Casper

I probably wouldn't have come up and shoved the guy to the ground first thing, but I would've been yelling as soon as that store door opened. He would've seen/ heard me coming long before I was within pushing distance.

1 hour ago, GSX-Sam said:

That looked like a bad shoot to me. His life was not in danger. He was assaulted, yes, but not to the degree that a deadly force response was even remotely justifiable. 

29 minutes ago, GSX-Sam said:

Really hope the district attorney reviews this and files charges. This dude should not walk.

Agreed and agreed. 

1 hour ago, TimTheAzn said:

So do you guys think this is a "good" or "bad" shoot? @Steve Butters @Casper

I probably wouldn't have come up and shoved the guy to the ground first thing, but I would've been yelling as soon as that store door opened. He would've seen/ heard me coming long before I was within pushing distance.

Horrible. Guy needs to go to jail if it went down as it appears. 

I really hate that pause between the guy drawing his firearm and the actual shot. The guy obviously looks as if he was taken back, and did not appear to make movements towards the shooter at that point. But shit happens to fast real time, its impossible to know what the shooter was thinking.

The parking lot nazi does have a record of harassing people at that store.

1 hour ago, TimTheAzn said:

I really hate that pause between the guy drawing his firearm and the actual shot. The guy obviously looks as if he was taken back, and did not appear to make movements towards the shooter at that point. But shit happens to fast real time, its impossible to know what the shooter was thinking.

The parking lot nazi does have a record of harassing people at that store.

Regardless what he was thinking, that's straight up murder. You sound like you're half way sympathizing with the shooter, which is disgusting if that's the case. I had this opinion reading the story and didn't catch that there was video. Now that I've seen the video, that's damming proof to me.

I suspect this is not over with. Stand your ground laws assume your life was in danger, and that clearly was not the case. 

You can't shoot someone for shoving you. The guy made no second advance and even backed away from the shooter. His life was not in dangerous, even if his racism lead him to believe it was. 

9 minutes ago, Steve Butters said:

Regardless what he was thinking, that's straight up murder. You sound like you're half way sympathizing with the shooter, which is disgusting if that's the case. I had this opinion reading the story and didn't catch that there was video. Now that I've seen the video, that's damming proof to me.

I suspect this is not over with. Stand your ground laws assume your life was in danger, and that clearly was not the case. 

You can't shoot someone for shoving you. The guy made no second advance and even backed away from the shooter. His life was not in dangerous, even if his racism lead him to believe it was. 

Nah man no way. Just leaving room for discussion without me putting my "the shooter went looking for confrontation knowing he was armed and then when he got what he wanted he straight up murdered that other guy" view. 

I believe this was morally wrong for sure. Just wanted to see other's viewpoints on it. There was some good, well at very least entertaining discussions being had on other boards. Wondered if anyone here knew about this yet.

This kind of encounter/ situation plays over and over in my head as a person that has a license. I really think it would take someone to fire a few shots at me before I pulled my weapon. And that's if I somehow got backed into a corner and somehow didnt get shot already. Too late? Probably if someone is already taking shots at me, but I really don't feel like dealing with the repercussions if I were wrong or found to be "wrong". At least this way I can say, this motherfucker shot at me first!

Edited by TimTheAzn

7 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Nah man no way. Just leaving room for discussion without me putting my "the shooter went looking for confrontation knowing he was armed and then when he got what he wanted he straight up murdered that other guy" view. 

I believe this was morally wrong for sure. Just wanted to see other's viewpoints on it. There was some good, well at very least entertaining discussions being had on other boards. Wondered if anyone here knew about this yet.

This kind of encounter/ situation plays over and over in my head as a person that has a license. I really think it would take someone to fire a few shots at me before I pulled my weapon. And that's if I somehow got backed into a corner and somehow didnt get shot already. Too late? Probably if someone is already taking shots at me, but I really don't feel like dealing with the repercussions if I were wrong or found to be "wrong". At least this way I can say, this motherfucker shot at me first!

Not sure I'd say he purposely armed himself and went looking for a confrontation, but who knows. But that's the situation he ended up in. He probably would have made those comments armed or not, it's his reaction to being assaulted that is the problem. He probably expected to make that lady feel like shit and then go on with his day, and then he got assaulted and decided it's time to shoot. Maybe he's been itching to pull the trigger and that's all it took. Could have been poor judgment, but I'm not buying it personally. I think the truth behind his motivation is probably somewhere in the middle of all that. 

I saw it in local news, even if it's rather far away. And I'll say all three people were wrong. All three displayed too much aggression. They were all determined to have a confrontation. They got one.

• 2 weeks later...