Jump to content
Casper

YaOT (Yet another oil thread)

Recommended Posts

Ducati says 15W-50. I’ve always used 10W-40 in motorcycles. What say ye?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No (no)

Edited by what

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Ducati probably did some intensive research on the subject.  Why do you question their authority?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, jschaf said:

I think Ducati probably did some intensive research on the subject.  Why do you question their authority?

15 cold viscosity seems too high for Ohio weather. 

Dealer used 10W-40 Motul 300V. I’m leaning towards the same, but wondering why Ducati would recommend 15W-50 as a blanket recommendation. Generally weather temps play a role in viscosity selection, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KTM is 10-60. Has to do with tolerances and return passages as well. Im confident they've done their homework

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shell Advance 4-T comes in a 15W-50.  I got mine at the Advance auto in Reynoldsburg. I have used it in my Multi as both the workshop and the owners manual only call for a 15W-50, they don't have a temp range chart like the other bikes.  All my other Ducati's and when I had the Triumph all got regular 10W-40.

Edited by vf1000ride

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, vf1000ride said:

Shell Advance 4-T comes in a 15W-50.  I got mine at the Advance auto in Reynoldsburg. I have used it in my Multi as both the workshop and the owners manual only call for a 15W-50, they don't have a temp range chart like the other bikes.  All my other Ducati's and when I had the Triumph all got regular 10W-40.

How much does that cost?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Howabusa said:

Who makes 15-50? Ducati? 

Most of the big motorcycle oils come in 15W-50, just hard to find in stock. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Howabusa said:

How much does that cost?

$13 per qt from Advance Auto.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Howabusa said:

I am running the Rotella T6, $22/ gallon.

@Hoblick recommended that also. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jschaf said:

I think Ducati probably did some intensive research on the subject.  Why do you question their authority?

This is the correct answer. The Duc engineers are considerably more educated in this matter than we are. Especially the OP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That said, read the manual again and make sure there are not temp ranges included and that you actually read it correctly. It does seem odd for our temp range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Casper said:

Ducati says 15W-50. I’ve always used 10W-40 in motorcycles. What say ye?

same on my priller.

 

wait I mean. You must use 10w50 but you also must move to Italy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Casper said:

15 cold viscosity seems too high for Ohio weather. 

 

Are you gonna ride it in the winter? Cuz that is when the lower number comes into play. Guess what the W stands for. It's the 50 that should be giving you pause.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Are you gonna ride it in the winter? Cuz that is when the lower number comes into play. Guess what the W stands for. It's the 50 that should be giving you pause.

weight? am i banned?

Edited by motocat12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't mess with the top number if they say run 50 I'd run 50. The bottom or cold number can vary based on climate. I run 5-40 in mine that calls for 10-40. Even in summer month it helps with my timing chain chatter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yamaha says 10w40 or 15w50 for my MT. Rotella T6 5w40 is working fine. JASO-MA/MA2 certification is enough for me.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

I wouldn't mess with the top number if they say run 50 I'd run 50. The bottom or cold number can vary based on climate. I run 5-40 in mine that calls for 10-40. Even in summer month it helps with my timing chain chatter.

I always knew you were smarter than Tonik. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Casper said:

I always knew you were smarter than Tonik. 

Lol, you are talking about the only guy in the world that for years thought Rotella came in a five quart jug.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tonik said:

Lol, you are talking about the only guy in the world that for years thought Rotella came in a five quart jug.

They do...5.28 quart jugs.....in Canada...close enough.

6000198221836.jpg.988cd5f3fae573fa04133a5e0c2c1505.jpg

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 2talltim said:

They do...5.28 quart jugs.....in Canada...close enough.

6000198221836.jpg.988cd5f3fae573fa04133a5e0c2c1505.jpg

 

More proof that @2talltim > @Tonik  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only thing I can add to this thread is that Ducati used the same oil filter for every bike, except for the Pani, since the mid 90s.  Good job, engineers!  I did an OEM oil change last time for Izzy before three track days and one serious street ride with @ChristopherHawkins and it worked well for me, but at $80, I'll give my old standby (Rotella T6) a try next time.

P.S. That's right three track days on a 19 year old Ducati with 64,000 miles.  Time for a valve check!  haha

Edited by jacobhawkins
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

picked up some Silkolene comp 4 15w-50  at Iron pony today to humor this thread. Jaso ma2  synthetic esther based :shrug: $19

I'm not due for an oil change .Does used T4 oil keep? I could drain the current stuff and freeze it at 10W to use for later.

https://www.amazon.com/Silkolene-600885885-Comp-4-XP-Oil/dp/B071L5M57G different new label?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×