YaOT (Yet another oil thread)

Casper

18 minutes ago, jschaf said:

I think Ducati probably did some intensive research on the subject.  Why do you question their authority?

15 cold viscosity seems too high for Ohio weather. 

Dealer used 10W-40 Motul 300V. I’m leaning towards the same, but wondering why Ducati would recommend 15W-50 as a blanket recommendation. Generally weather temps play a role in viscosity selection, right?

Shell Advance 4-T comes in a 15W-50.  I got mine at the Advance auto in Reynoldsburg. I have used it in my Multi as both the workshop and the owners manual only call for a 15W-50, they don't have a temp range chart like the other bikes.  All my other Ducati's and when I had the Triumph all got regular 10W-40.

Edited by vf1000ride

16 minutes ago, vf1000ride said:

Shell Advance 4-T comes in a 15W-50.  I got mine at the Advance auto in Reynoldsburg. I have used it in my Multi as both the workshop and the owners manual only call for a 15W-50, they don't have a temp range chart like the other bikes.  All my other Ducati's and when I had the Triumph all got regular 10W-40.

How much does that cost?

2 hours ago, jschaf said:

I think Ducati probably did some intensive research on the subject.  Why do you question their authority?

This is the correct answer. The Duc engineers are considerably more educated in this matter than we are. Especially the OP.

1 hour ago, Casper said:

15 cold viscosity seems too high for Ohio weather. 

Are you gonna ride it in the winter? Cuz that is when the lower number comes into play. Guess what the W stands for. It's the 50 that should be giving you pause.

4 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Are you gonna ride it in the winter? Cuz that is when the lower number comes into play. Guess what the W stands for. It's the 50 that should be giving you pause.

weight? am i banned?

Edited by motocat12

I wouldn't mess with the top number if they say run 50 I'd run 50. The bottom or cold number can vary based on climate. I run 5-40 in mine that calls for 10-40. Even in summer month it helps with my timing chain chatter.

43 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

I wouldn't mess with the top number if they say run 50 I'd run 50. The bottom or cold number can vary based on climate. I run 5-40 in mine that calls for 10-40. Even in summer month it helps with my timing chain chatter.

I always knew you were smarter than Tonik. 

3 hours ago, Casper said:

I always knew you were smarter than Tonik. 

Lol, you are talking about the only guy in the world that for years thought Rotella came in a five quart jug.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Tonik said:

Lol, you are talking about the only guy in the world that for years thought Rotella came in a five quart jug.

They do...5.28 quart jugs.....in Canada...close enough.

6000198221836.jpg.988cd5f3fae573fa04133a5e0c2c1505.jpg

• Upvote 1

Only thing I can add to this thread is that Ducati used the same oil filter for every bike, except for the Pani, since the mid 90s.  Good job, engineers!  I did an OEM oil change last time for Izzy before three track days and one serious street ride with @ChristopherHawkins and it worked well for me, but at $80, I'll give my old standby (Rotella T6) a try next time.

P.S. That's right three track days on a 19 year old Ducati with 64,000 miles.  Time for a valve check!  haha

Edited by jacobhawkins
  • Haha 1

picked up some Silkolene comp 4 15w-50  at Iron pony today to humor this thread. Jaso ma2  synthetic esther based :shrug: $19

I'm not due for an oil change .Does used T4 oil keep? I could drain the current stuff and freeze it at 10W to use for later.

https://www.amazon.com/Silkolene-600885885-Comp-4-XP-Oil/dp/B071L5M57G different new label?