Educate me on Pole Barns

Bad324

Most in this area have good luck with the Amish contractors. I would be sure to find out who the metal roofing and siding supplier is though. Our plant has sold a lot of rejected steel coils to the Amish over the years that are defective due to paint problems. 

I'm now abandoning this idea because the only builder I could get to call me back wanted $20k for a 24x24x12.

I've got about 5 other needs to use the cash for now instead of a luxury of another garage. Plus if I wait a bit and my dad sells his house I'm still banking on him kicking me cash to build something to store all his shit too

46 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Well I'd tell em to shove that pole where the sun don't shine.

I did. It was in Florida but my Dad got a 36x24x18 done with concrete, electrical, water, drainage 3 overhead doors, 2 man doors and windows for 28k

Lucky bastard

48 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Construction is considerably more expensive than it has been in the last 10 years. There is a construction boom, they don't have to cut their prices.

This is very accurate and why I’ve not started my new house yet. 

17 hours ago, Tonik said:

Construction is considerably more expensive than it has been in the last 10 years. There is a construction boom, they don't have to cut their prices.

YUP! On the commercial side that I do I am actually turning down jobs right now...I have over a years worth of work signed in right now and can't find any more qualified carpenters.

Sorry you can't swing the shop now, but I'll throw in my pole barn experience after owning three just for future reference.

My current 30 x 50 12ft ceiling pole barn cost $40k to to have built by a contractor including the materials kit and trusses from Sutherlands, grading the ground, cement floor and 30 x 25 outside cement pad/sidewalk, 200amp service/electrical work plus drops for lathe and compressor, lots of insulation, two 10 x 10 garage doors, propane fired radiant heater, interior walls/ceiling finished with OSB, and fiber optic cable run from house to shop (for work purposes). The contractor was recommended by Surtherlands, he was an odd dude, but his crew did great work.  The shop is solid and not a lick of issues in 11 years.  It always stays about 15deg cooler than outside during the summer, and never gets below 40 in the winter if I leave the thermostat off over the weekend.

$40k isn't cheap.  It's downright painful, but 11 years on it was money well spent (or borrowed!).

Insulation and heating has always been the main issue with the shops I've owned.  I've used wood burners, built double barrel wood/oil burners, fuel oil fired forced air heaters - all suck for one reason or another.  The overhead radiant heater is the best system I've used, it heats up the floor and everything in the shop so that when you open the big door to pull in your truck/whatever it's still warm right after the door gets closed.

Electrical service is another thing not to skimp out on.  Blowing the main mid-weld because the furnace was running and the compressor kicked on really sucks, you end up tripping over crap trying to get to the breaker box in the dark!

And...no matter how much you are in a hurry, paint the walls and ceiling before you start moving stuff in.

• Like 1

Tell us more about this radiant heater. 

I always thought those things would make it hella hot up top and cool on the floor since heat rises.

I’d love to see your barn sometime. I’ll bet after three of them you’ve got some good ideas going on in there    

• Beer 1

The radiant heaters I've used are suspended from the ceiling.  The burner is at the end of the shop near the two garage doors, and it shoots the flame horizontally down the "chimney", which runs horizontal all the way out the opposite end of the building.

A sheet metal reflector is mounted above the chimney (about 5"dia), and as you can imagine reflects the heat downwards.

This link below is same type, but LP fired.  Grainger calls them infrared heaters.

https://www.grainger.com/product/7D842?cm_mmc=PPC:+MSN+PLA&s_kwcid=AL!2966!10!8973610371!1102900019075&ef_id=W1fR0gAABH6jPVMz:20180725012642:s

Glad to help.

7 hours ago, max power said:

Tell us more about this radiant heater. 

I always thought those things would make it hella hot up top and cool on the floor since heat rises.

I’d love to see your barn sometime. I’ll bet after three of them you’ve got some good ideas going on in there    

come on over, I like to drink beer and exaggerate about how fast I used to be.

If I did the shop over again, I'd put in 12ft wide garage doors - can't back my trailer in thru the 10 footers.  It's always something....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rodehard said:

come on over, I like to drink beer and exaggerate about how fast I used to be.

If I did the shop over again, I'd put in 12ft wide garage doors - can't back my trailer in thru the 10 footers.  It's always something....

I see what kind your talking about.  I was thinking the square type.  Do you find it to be very efficient?  

Dont you live over by middletown?

On 7/24/2018 at 11:09 PM, max power said:

I see what kind your talking about.  I was thinking the square type.  Do you find it to be very efficient?  

Dont you live over by middletown?

Note sure I can put a measure on the heaters efficiency......I have a 200gal propane tank for the shop, and it gets filled 3 or 4 times during the winter.  Not cheap.  But, I work out of the shop so the thermostat is set to 65deg 50hrs/week or more.

I'm in Delaware north of columbus.  Shoot me a PM sometime we'll see if we can make a riding day out of it.

• Upvote 1