Educate me on Pole Barns

Bad324

Who has had a pole barn built, what size and how much? Do's and don'ts? Things you wish you did or didn't do.

I'm looking at now going pole barn route for 2nd garage instead of stick built for a few reasons. I'm somewhat limited on size because of my new lot and my budget.

What you wanna know hombre? Be specific. 

Big things, length is irrelevant but width is. Anything over 36’ wide the price jumps huge because of expensive trusses. 

2x6 laminated posts are stronger and longer lasting than 6x6

Get the metal warranty up front and in writing, not all are equal 

Amish are way cheaper 

• Upvote 1

Subscribed.  There are some flaky Barn builders out there.  Get references and go see their barns.

Amish don’t care about you filthy English and won’t warranty a thing once you put money in their hand so make sure it’s done right up front.  Don’t buy that bullshit that they are all craftsmen.  Most are just Jewish hillbillies.  

I built a 24 x 32 last year 10ft wall height. It is an actual barn with 3 sliding barn doors and 1 garage door. I think I did it for like 6k. That is all materials. I did all the labor myself. I bought my metal from the Amish. Saved me $1000-1500. No warranty on metal of course, but I’ve not heard anything good about any of the warranties. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, max power said:

Amish don’t care about you filthy English and won’t warranty a thing once you put money in their hand so make sure it’s done right up front.  Don’t buy that bullshit that they are all craftsmen.  Most are just Jewish hillbillies.  

Metal warranty isn’t from the Amish it’s from the lumber yard. 

The Amish I’m just using to build. They are way cheaper and better. 

Around here anyway 

• Upvote 1

They are usually cheaper they just don’t back up their work. Make sure it’s right before you put money in their hands is all I’m saying. 

I’ve heard that from more than one farmer that’s had them build barns.  They’re fast for a reason. 

Zero issues with my amish barn. I did complain about the retaining wall they put in and he told me verbally he would help me resolve it when I was ready. And really can't say it was his fault. The guy I hired to do the finish excavation didn't drain it right. And he (non amish) is being a ass about it.

Now on the other hand my dad had his built by the same amish guy and his concrete is cracking bad. I'm pretty sure they didnt didn't put any mesh in it and the never came back to saw any seams. And he's telling my dad he's SOL. When. he built mine I made sure he did those things and mine is fine. 

Edited by 2talltim

Not my typical trade but I have had a guy asking me to build a 30X40 for him for a while and I finally caved...I am currently building one so I can add to this if I come up with any difficulties. As of now it has been pretty smooth. I have $12,415 in all of the materials...that is including everything from screws, man doors, trusses etc.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, MidgetTodd said:

What you wanna know hombre? Be specific. 

Big things, length is irrelevant but width is. Anything over 36’ wide the price jumps huge because of expensive trusses. 

2x6 laminated posts are stronger and longer lasting than 6x6

Get the metal warranty up front and in writing, not all are equal 

Amish are way cheaper 

ight now my biggest thing is figuring out a ballpark price range of what it would run me and if I can do this now or if I should save up and wait. I don't need or can really fit anything huge, realistically I'd probably be at 24' x 20' or I can go 24' x 24' if I can get a variance from the city on how close it can be to the edge of the lot. I also need a ceiling height of 12' so I can add a storage lift down the line because the end game is to have storage for my Firehawk and soon to be '65 GTO. If I can get those on one side and be able to have my daily next to them would be the dream.

3 hours ago, Bad324 said:

ight now my biggest thing is figuring out a ballpark price range of what it would run me and if I can do this now or if I should save up and wait. I don't need or can really fit anything huge, realistically I'd probably be at 24' x 20' or I can go 24' x 24' if I can get a variance from the city on how close it can be to the edge of the lot. I also need a ceiling height of 12' so I can add a storage lift down the line because the end game is to have storage for my Firehawk and soon to be '65 GTO. If I can get those on one side and be able to have my daily next to them would be the dream.

I believe Carter Lumber has a pole barn estimator on their website, at least they used to. You could use that and I would guess you could find a contractor that could give you a ballpark price per square foot to get a rough estimate. Carter’s estimate was a little high but it gave me an idea of what the cost would be. 

Edited by durk
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, durk said:

I believe Carter Lumber has a pole barn estimator on their website, at least they used to. You could use that and I would guess you could find a contractor that could give you a ballpark price per square foot to get a rough estimate. Carter’s estimate was a little high but it gave me an idea of what the cost would be. 

sweet they still have it so just did that. for a 24x24x12 they have me at $7k in materials

I could only find a couple of contractors in my area that would even stop by long enough to get the basics from me and give me an estimate but the numbers I got were anywhere from six to $12 a square foot on a 14 foot high building. That’s under roof and wrapped no concrete or anything. 

ah fucking mortgage companies and taxes just boned me so now I have $4k less than planned. May just end up extending the driveway 10ft for the extra parking space I need for the time being and put off the garage. What a bummer

On 7/13/2018 at 4:18 PM, max power said:

I could only find a couple of contractors in my area that would even stop by long enough to get the basics from me and give me an estimate but the numbers I got were anywhere from six to $12 a square foot on a 14 foot high building. That’s under roof and wrapped no concrete or anything. 

But the Amish suck? :dunno: 

I could call my guy and be hammering boards by monday morning close to those prices with concrete if I wanted to build another one. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/17/2018 at 2:26 PM, 2talltim said:

But the Amish suck? :dunno: 

I could call my guy and be hammering boards by monday morning close to those prices with concrete if I wanted to build another one. 

Geez Bubby I never said they suck, I just said they don’t warrantee their work. You are a filthy Englishman. They don’t give a shit about you once you put money in their hands. As long as you realize that, use them. Use Mexicans for all I care. 

But, if you’re calling your guy then he’s not Amish.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, max power said:

But, if you’re calling your guy then he’s not Amish.

Well technically I'd would call his driver he would relay the message and 'd get a return call  from him on his drivers phone. Usually how it works. When I got a estimate from him I had to go pick him up at his place and bring him to the house during evening hours. 

• Beer 1