536 closing July 9th (30 days)

Killer_kaw

I made it across 536 yesterday and saw the road closing sign. Maybe someone local knows a little more. There were 3 or 4 one lane stop lights at the big slips. Lots of smaller slips unmarked some filled with stone. There was a good bit of gravel to be found in some corners. Sure hope they get this road straightened up a bit. Damn near ran into 20 cattle being led across the road around a blind corner as well.  

According to ODOT it is unplanned, so road gave way..landslide....something like that.  I see three spots and it looks like all summer and into the fall based on the current completion dates.

Unfortunately they had just reopened 536 from fixing a big slip on the south end when the rest of the road decided to wash over the hills. Looks like 255 is currently closed for similar repairs as well.

• 1 month later...

536 has opened again, but for how long? There are still 3 red light/one lane spots and at least 3 more spots falling over the hill, but for now it is passable all the way from 78 to Hannibal. If you run it, be aware there is a LOT of gravel on the road and a couple spots where big holes are filled with slag. I am experimenting with a camera on the bike so I may have video the next time down that way.

Got the right peg on the ground again tonight. Shadows just don't have a very steep cornering angle ;)