Mid Ohio 7/9

jacobhawkins

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

Why gonna be mean to Isabella?

Taking a bike to the track isn't being mean, it's like taking your dog to the park and letting them off the leash. 

• Upvote 3

Just got to say how much fun it was seeing some good friends and running around the track.  I was lucky to get Monday off and Tuesday was just as good weather wise and great to ride with Andy.  I plan to be out there again August 20/21.  Hope to see you all again and those that weren't able to come out, MAKE IT HAPPEN!  :riding:

• Upvote 1

It was definitely a great day to ride! Thanks for helping me pick my bike back up... pretty sure you guys foreshadowed that happening every time I took it off the stands though. The one time someone didn't say "oh shit your bikes falling!" and tried to catch it was the time it fell over. 

I had a blast on Monday guys. Thanks for organizing this Jacob and encouraging me to take my skirt off to ask for the evaluation. It was great to meet some new guys and catch up with others I know. I need to start working a side job in the summer so I can afford to do this track thing more often. 

It was great meeting new people in the shared garage spots on Monday, thanks for organizing that @jacobhawkins! My first ride at Mid-Ohio was fun!

@Limitedslip7, I checked my GPS recorded lap time vs my GoPro video and they were within .1s. I'm still not sure why my data and your GPS/app lap timer data didn't match up closely (like 2 seconds different) the session I followed you. Maybe I wasn't following you as closely as I thought, someone else had gotten between me and you for a while before I passed both of you at the end of the back straight, so maybe that explains why my GPS showed 2 seconds slower than yours since I was some random amount of time behind you. Great job in your first A session after getting the bump in the afternoon!

I was pleasantly surprised when a few of us were pulled aside in the Novice meeting (I had only mentioned to the tech guy that I normally run A group at Grattan and he remembered me at the meeting an hour later) and ended up getting evaluated in Advanced during the first session. My first two laps on the track and they didn't pull me off, the instructor just got off the track, so I was good for A the whole day. I do think this special treatment had more to do with them wanting to sell more Novice spots to walk-ups and them having a full group in Intermediate, but worked out for me! It certainly helps learn the track faster when you have clear track in front of you.

Here is my video from the last session. 1:43.83 is in the video, too bad the battery died and I didn't get my 1:42.22 recorded (last and fastest lap of the day).
https://youtu.be/Btg8erWho5M

Looking forward to the next time I can make it out to Mid-Ohio!

Edited by MatthewPowerPlug
  • Upvote 1

Tuesday morning it had grip. Dunno about Monday. 

Tuesday was good. It started to get a little slick around 2pm when the clouds started rolling in, spun up the rear in keyhole getting on it the same way I had been the rest of the day. Ended up being perfect timing with the weather, the monsoon hit just as we were pulling out onto the road to leave... though we didn't run the last session, I think Novice's final session may have gotten rained out. 

Not sure what lap times I was running, though I know I wasn't running fast. Probably somewhere in the 50's. May try going down a tooth on the front sprocket next time I change out the chain, to put it back to a stock front. My added weight plus being +1 in the front is limiting my drive and not giving much much more in the form of top-end. 

Overall it was a good first trackday of the season. Really the first time I've been at a decent pace on a big bike all year... haven't been out on the street really at all except for those 2 days down at the gap. Dang minibikes taking over my life. Will more than likely be back to where I was lap time wise at the end of last year at the next track day, then after that I can push for low 40's. Kinda want to start running slicks...

Edited by what

21 minutes ago, Jester_ said:

How was the track in the morning? It was in great shape on Sunday afternoon. 

Monday first session was a little slick for the first couple laps, but came in great after that.  Tuesday was perfect from the get go.

15 hours ago, jacobhawkins said:

Just got to say how much fun it was seeing some good friends and running around the track.  I was lucky to get Monday off and Tuesday was just as good weather wise and great to ride with Andy.  I plan to be out there again August 20/21.  Hope to see you all again and those that weren't able to come out, MAKE IT HAPPEN!  :riding:

Thanks for staying and hanging out for our night session.  Was good to see all you guys now just need to make a day where I can ride with you guys.  I was glad after taking some time off I was able to get back to mid 140s at the track and was able to pinpoint where I was losing a ton of time.  I'm kind of in the same boat as Andy where my gearing was killing me at powerout.  So next time I will atleast be down a tooth in the front.

27 minutes ago, Jester_ said:

Here is a video from Sunday of anyone is interested. 

your video answered my question about my line in thunder alley.  I felt something felt weird being on the right side and now I know I made the right decision by moving to the left

2 hours ago, kbrok said:

your video answered my question about my line in thunder alley.  I felt something felt weird being on the right side and now I know I made the right decision by moving to the left

I'm probably not the best person to watch but hopefully it can help you or someone else out some. 

2 hours ago, Jester_ said:

I'm probably not the best person to watch but hopefully it can help you or someone else out some. 

no in that section your line is right

8 hours ago, Jester_ said:

Here is a video from Sunday of anyone is interested. 

Nice race. 34s is awesome. You beat my novice lap times of 2013 which I don’t think had been done. Rick got close last year. I ran 35.3. 

What happened on the cool down lap? You accidentally downshift?

1 hour ago, OSUYZFR1 said:

Nice race. 34s is awesome. You beat my novice lap times of 2013 which I don’t think had been done. Rick got close last year. I ran 35.3. 

What happened on the cool down lap? You accidentally downshift?

A few friends were standing at the fence going into China beach so I was just giving them a rev haha. 

31 minutes ago, jacobhawkins said:

What happened at 8:18?  Guy run out of brakes?  and at 9:00?  Great race!  Nice job, sir!

First guy took a bad line going into 1. Second guy probably knew I was gaining on him on the straight and tried to brake as late as he could. We actually got fairly close as he tried to take that line away but I just brushed past him and tried to put my head down to finish the lap. 

• Upvote 1