SpecialEd

SpecialEd

20 hours ago, max power said:

You’re gonna get the fever and have to go buy a real streetbike.  Careful, this hobby is addictive and expensive.  

1 minute ago, SpecialEd said:

Already prepared for this inevitability, max power. I've prolly got around $10k invested in the CT already, and am surprisingly not ashamed of it!

For some reason I have always been attracted to smaller bikes as opposed to the multitude of full-size cruisers that seem to rule the roads these days. There is a quasi "risk" element implied while exploring one's surrounding environment on these machines. I seek a riding experience that brings me closer to my setting as I move along through time and space . . . and seeing the familiar through new eyes. Does this make sense???

To continue ad nauseum, it's sorta the opposite of driving home from work in a predictable and reliable cage, mindless of, anesthetized to, and insulated from one's familiar environs.

Ah, fuck it . . .

Whatever makes your boat float man.  We all love different bikes for different reasons.  

Ive always wanted to find a ‘82 nighthawk 650 only because it was the bike my dad rode me to football practice on when I was 12.  I want a Z50 only because it was my first bike. I want a ‘74 Yamaha DT360 enduro only because it was the first big bike I rode around on alone, also when I was 12.  Now all of those would be useless to me due to my riding style (well maybe not the nighthawk, I’d rail that thing), but I’d love to have each of them in the Garage. 

Jbot, that thing is really going to take off worldwide when it becomes available.

Given the nostalgic sentiments of people around my age (62) for the small bikes of their youth, and considering the overall wealth of the Boomer generation, this new Honda will bring smiles of recognition to millions of us and cause us to reach for our check books.

One of the biggest reasons I have put so much money into my CT project is because I could never afford one back when I was in high school.

The things I like about the Monkey:

* ~10 horsepower mill will enable speeds similar to the Grom

* 12-inch wheels instead of the 10-inchers standard to the CT

* Retro styling that will appeal to young and old

*$4,000 price tag

I wouldn't want to give up my CTR for a Monkey, though . . . I'm buying back my youth 😆

Yer thoughts . . . ?

I have a Grom and a Zuma and I might ditch the Grom for the monkey if I like it enough when it comes out.  I'll never sell my Zuma though. I love that goofy little bastard

The Zuma also has about two less horsepower than the Grom, but similar top speed. Great for cruising in a small town.

I personally like the styling of the Monkey over the Grom, but I'm old school. Also, a small bike with ABS for $4k? Tough to beat that . . .