Been away a while. New toy last week, thought I'd be "active" again

8Rider6

Haven't been on here for years, but last week I picked up a new toy. A 2015 FJR1300A. This has been my dream bike for about 4 years now. I've had a 2002 Honda 919 since 2012 which I still have, and had a 1996 Bandit 600 from 2008 to 2011 which was my first bike.

I found a pretty good deal on this ($1k under bluebook) from a dealer and only had 5600 miles. I absolutely love the color too and 2015 is the only year for it. This is a bike I'll probably hang on to the rest of my life, I'd likely only get rid of it to trade in on a newer model year of it, or something drastic.

Only having had a Bandit 600 and Honda 919, this thing is infinitely better on the freeway. So much more stable, not fighting the wind, tons of power, etc. I can't wait to ride it more!

And yes, I'll be removing and replacing the tank protector, not quite my style.

20180602_114204.jpg

20180602_114248.jpg

20180606_185848.jpg

20180606_202231.jpg

Edited by 8Rider6
Pics
  • Beer 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks guys. So... Unfortunately I had my first negative experience with the bike today. I went to leave work, put the key in, turned to "On" position and nothing, dash didn't come on at all. I seems as if they battery was dead. I had it jumped by the police where I work and it's seemed fine. Now that I have it home, I have it on a battery tender (there was a connector left on it by the previous owner.

What are you guys thoughts. Can I likely trust it if I let it charge overnight? I had a trip planned Saturday out of town I'd rather not get stranded on. 

Do you think it's likely the bike was just sitting and died due to that? I just find it strange it's 1 week after I got it and I've ridden it probably 150-200 miles until this happens. I would've that would've been enough to get the battery charged again. So, is it likely not holding a charge now? If that's the case, I guess it's new battery time?

I find it very strange, as my 2002 919 has never had an issue. I haven't touched the battery since I got it in 2012, never used a battery tender in the winter and it's started up every time.

My biggest fear is an alternator/magneto issue, but I would not at all expect that on a 2015 bike.

Edited by 8Rider6

If your concerned at all just do a basic voltage check. Should be around 12 to 13 sitting. Shouldn't drop much below 10V while cranking and should be 13 or above while running and charging.

• Upvote 1

Thanks! I'm not really concerned about it unless it happens again, I'm pretty sure it was my mistake and muscle memory just cranked it all the way to the left in parking mode without realizing.