Helping a returning rider.

Tonik

Got a friend that is getting back on. She took the returning riders course and by all accounts she did really well.

She is having issues on turns, after coming to a stop. On both left and right turns she is swinging way wide. It started with clutch/throttle control issues....she was stalling. Got that pretty much fixed but the wife turn issue is till there. I think in her head she is still worried about stalling. She still isn't hard enough on the throttle, but not as bad as before.

We are practicing in a parking lot, it's better but still not good. And on a few short neighborhood rides with me following she is still doing it.

While it's getting better, I wondered if any of you had any ideas on what to say or try?

Use this standard parking lot layout for training area. Turning from a stop. You stand at the orange dot's are. tell your person of interest :

1. Stop at the outside of the turn in first gear. 2. place outside foot on the foot rest. 3. lean the bike over 10-15deg in the direction of the turn. 4. Turn the front wheel full lock in the direction of the turn. 5. Counter weight her outside ass cheek just off the seat slightly (3") 6. (Very Important) Speak in your most loud hateful voice " LOOK AT ME, NOW RIDE TO ME"

Hope this helps.

28800947438_25f7d52a99_b.jpgScan_LI by

Edited by B-Mac

1 hour ago, TimTheAzn said:

Where are her eyes? Is she looking at a spot directly in front of her or through the corner where she wants to be? She should not be looking at the ground in front of her or at the controls.

This is correct. Have her practice this using,

37 minutes ago, B-Mac said:

Use this standard parking lot layout for training area. Turning from a stop. You stand at the orange dot's are. tell your person of interest :

1. Stop at the outside of the turn in first gear. 2. place outside foot on the foot rest. 3. lean the bike over 10-15deg in the direction of the turn. 4. Turn the front wheel full lock in the direction of the turn. 5. Counter weight her outside ass cheek just off the seat slightly (3") 6. (Very Important) Speak in your most loud hateful voice " LOOK AT ME, NOW RIDE TO ME"

Hope this helps.

28800947438_25f7d52a99_b.jpgScan_LI by

And it will help immensely. 

I highly don't recommend this with a good bike but. When I taught my wife we used her uncle's POS KZ440LTD in a mowed field on damp grass. If you have ever ridden a street bike with road tires on damp grass you figure out throttle steering traction and braking control real quick. Couple hours out there dropping it 25 times she took to the street like a duck on water. 

Had to throw some useless info at you to make the OR universe right again. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Those parking lot drills don't translate well to real street riding.  Make sure she is looking all the way through the corners.  Make sure she knows that as soon as the bike is tipped in to the corner she needs to roll on the throttle smoothly, evenly & consistently throughout the remainder of the turn (have her repeat this 1000 times).  Her bike could be fucked up too.  Have you ridden it?  Does it have fueling issues at low throttle? This is common.

32 minutes ago, jschaf said:

Those parking lot drills don't translate well to real street riding.  Make sure she is looking all the way through the corners.  Make sure she knows that as soon as the bike is tipped in to the corner she needs to roll on the throttle smoothly, evenly & consistently throughout the remainder of the turn (have her repeat this 1000 times).  Her bike could be fucked up too.  Have you ridden it?  Does it have fueling issues at low throttle? This is common.

Good advice, there are certainly still throttle control issues. Bike is solid, I have ridden it.

Your original post stated that the problem was Turning from a STOP. Not basic cornering or advance corning on the move.

The reason I want you to stand at the position of the dot is so you can watch her eyes and see if she is looking down at the out side boundary line and going wide in the turn. She must focus on the 90deg line of sight at you to make this a no brainier type maneuver. If Now you say she is having a throttle control issue during the (Turn from a STOP) then she needs to concentrate on clutch control. It doesn't matter what you do with the fucking throttle as long as you are at 1/4 to 1/2 as you complete this turn from a stop. The Clutch engagement accelerates the movement of the bike smoothly thru the turn from a stop. so focus on that. If she stay's in the engagement area of the clutch she can better control the bike thru the turn. If she let's the clutch out to abruptly and looks down at the outside boundary line the bike will stand up  and she will continue to Fuck this simple maneuver up. Keep your instruction simple and easy to understand. "Look at me , Now ride to me."  This is a basic control issue that must be learned in a controlled environment before moving on to the next basic corning drill at speed or on the street. Good Luck. Again this is just a old school opinion. I am out of here. YMMV

What kind of bike? I had issues with a heavier bike.  It was in my head but, once I got the 250 I improved.

For me following someone else helps, have you tried having her follow your lines?

Well, all of the advice was certainly good. But @B-Mac wins for the best. I used his system..yelled at her to look at me.  Also I had her do it rolling for awhile until I finally saw her doing it fast enough and letting the bike roll over into the turn.  Once she did that a few times I reinforced it and had her do it from a stop. She is doing much better. Going to hit it again tomorrow after the rain stops.  Might get her out on the street after that. The neighborhood is huge, zero traffic just residential stuff.

• Upvote 1