Mid Ohio ??'s

Buell1125

Ive been interested in taking my bike to the track for a while since my first good set of curvy roads but never really pulled the trigger. Well I am going to go. I have a stock 08 buell 1125r and would like to know what i have to do to get it ready for the track? Examples: disconnect lights and cover? Drain cooloant and use ice water (i think it is called)? Do i need a belly pan on the underside?...

Just now, CrazySkullCrusher said:

This info is available on the mid Ohio website. 

The website is difficult to find those details, so let's cut the guy some slack. 

Since this will be your first time on the track, you will be placed in Novice.  Mid-Ohio has a fantastic novice program and you will learn a ton.   You'll need to complete all the NOVICE requirements.  If you wish to bump to intermediate towards the end of the day (not sure of your riding capabilities), your bike will need to pass all intermediate requirements as well.  

Motorcycles: Performance Track Riding

Bike Preparation

• All bikes MUST pass technical inspection prior to being permitted on to the track. It is the sole responsibility of the rider to ensure their bike meets these requirements. If a bike fails tech inspection, it may be presented for re-inspection at any time. If a bike is involved in a crash it must be re-inspected prior to being permitted on to the track. No refunds will be made for bikes which fail to pass tech inspection or are unable to complete the day.
  • All bikes must be prepared to endure high speeds on track. All parts must be fastened securely and adjusted correctly.
  • All fuel, coolant, hydraulic and lubrication systems must be fluid tight (see below for additional information for Advanced and Intermediate bikes).
  • Tires must be in good condition, without signs of excessive wear. Tire valves must have caps. Wheel weights must be taped.
  • Brakes must be in good working order with a minimum of 1.5mm of pad remaining. Discs must not be excessively worn or loose.
  • All bikes must have a functioning, well-marked engine cut-off switch on the handlebar near the right hand grip.
  • Throttles must operate smoothly and be self-closing.
  • Any glass or plastic lenses must be taped completely. Mirrors and turn indicators are permitted in the NOVICE GROUP ONLY. All others must be removed.
  • Center stands are NOT permitted in the ADVANCED and INTERMEDIATE GROUPS and we recommend removing them for the NOVICE GROUP.
  • ADVANCED and INTERMEDIATE GROUP bikes must use a non-ethylene glycol coolant. Water and/or water wetter, or propylene glycol solutions such as Evans, Engine Ice, Liquid Performance, or 7th gear, are permitted.
  • ADVANCED and INTERMEDIATE GROUP bikes must have oil drain plugs, oil filler caps, and oil filters secured. We recommend safety wire, but will accept application of RTV silicone to the fitting.
  • It is recommended that any filler/drain for any fluid system be secured. Fluid leaks on the track shorten everyone’s day.
  • License plates must have bolts taped or be removed.
  • Bikes with K&N, Hiflo, or Vortex oil filters will NOT be permitted on the track.

Rider Gear Requirements

• All riders must be at least 18 years of age and have a valid driver's license.
  • All riders must wear a damage-free full-face helmet with a properly fitted face shield. DOT certification is a minimum requirement; SNELL, ECE, or other enhanced certification is recommended. Modular (flip-up) helmets are permitted in NOVICE GROUP only.
  • All riders must wear full-finger gauntlet style gloves.
  • All riders must wear sturdy over the ankle boots.
  • All riders must wear one or two-piece suits with substantial reinforcement and padding in critical areas (knees, elbows, shoulders, and back at a minimum.)
  • ADVANCED and INTERMEDIATE GROUP riders must wear one or two piece leather suits designed for motorcycle use. Two-piece leathers must provide substantial attachment between jacket and pants.
  • NOVICE GROUP riders must wear one or two piece leather or textile suits. It is recommended that two-piece suits provide attachment between jacket and pants.
  • ADVANCED and INTERMEDIATE GROUP riders MUST wear a back protector designed for motorcycle competition in lieu of, or in addition to, the standard back padding in their suit.
  • Upvote 2

Ok sounds pretty straight forward, only thing questionable is how do you guys secure your drain plug and fill plugs? I was thinking of rtv silicone but does it have have to cover the diameter or the whole area?

23 minutes ago, Buell1125 said:

Ok sounds pretty straight forward, only thing questionable is how do you guys secure your drain plug and fill plugs? I was thinking of rtv silicone but does it have have to cover the diameter or the whole area?

I just coated the whole circumference of each with rtv and called it good when I went to mid O. 

26 minutes ago, Buell1125 said:

Just put a dab on it. Along with the filter and fill plug.

That said, I do not believe you need to do that in novice.

15 hours ago, Buell1125 said:

A dab should suffice. Not required in novice but there's not going to be a person there that says don't do it. Safety is never a bad thing!

9 hours ago, Buell1125 said:

Is that like the big event for the year?

It's something we got going last year to get new people to the track. A fair amount of people showed up and had a good time. Sometimes just the fact of not knowing anyone that will be at a track day is enough for some people to put it off. There will be a fair amount of people there all with varying levels of experience. Some of us guys that spend a fair amount of time at the track will be there too. Come out, it'll be a great way to meet some of us and some of us that you wouldn't normally see on the spirited street rides. 

BTW I spent a session chasing a Buell 1125 last weekend on my new SV. We were close enough in pace that I never got around him because by the time we got close, the front straight came up again and I would loose bike lengths. 

Also to be noted: 

It's included in their requirements, but make sure your Oil filter is not a wrench off filter (K&N, HiFlo, Vortex).   If it has any sort of welded nut on the end of the filter, they will not allow you to pass tech. 

Yes, I was the reason for this, well kind of... more K&N being the reason, I just happened to be the pilot when it happened.  

1 hour ago, DerekClouser said:

Also to be noted: 

It's included in their requirements, but make sure your Oil filter is not a wrench off filter (K&N, HiFlo, Vortex).   If it has any sort of welded nut on the end of the filter, they will not allow you to pass tech. 

Yes, I was the reason for this, well kind of... more K&N being the reason, I just happened to be the pilot when it happened.  

You were icing on the cake. Has happened and continues to happen everywhere people are using them.

• 2 weeks later...

Brotha, I just had my 1st track day and I hope you got extra money laying around because it is an expensive hobby. Assuming you got all your gear ready, all that is left is the bike prep which isn't too overwhelming for novice. I went ahead and prepped my bike as if I was ready for advanced (safety wire, changed the coolant, removed mirrors etc) just for the added experience and safety. Just go down the list that was nicely provided to you above one by one and make sure all the requirements are met. 

As stated, you will start in novice and will be following a coach with more restrictions than intermediate and advanced but even though your hands will be a bit tied at first, it's a great time to learn the track lines and build confidence in your technique and still have fun. If you haven't signed up yet get on it.

• Like 1

I love 'big' bikes and track days and racing.

With that said, it is less expensive and lower-risk to just go buy a race-prepped XR100 and kart-track race.  the small bike teaches you most of the same skills, crashes for pennies, uses 1 set of $200 tires a year, and is less likely to land you in the hospital.

I understand that people like to ride what they own, but take a hard look at mini racing before booking 6 or 10 more track days.  Unless you've got a lot of money to spend, it can burn you out quickly.

22 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

I love 'big' bikes and track days and racing.

With that said, it is less expensive and lower-risk to just go buy a race-prepped XR100 and kart-track race.  the small bike teaches you most of the same skills, crashes for pennies, uses 1 set of $200 tires a year, and is less likely to land you in the hospital.

I understand that people like to ride what they own, but take a hard look at mini racing before booking 6 or 10 more track days.  Unless you've got a lot of money to spend, it can burn you out quickly.

I couldn't be happier to have started OMRL racing.  It's so incredibly fun and far cheaper in comparison... even if you don't want to race, you can do OMRL practice for literally $20.00 for the entire day as much as you'd like cause there's no sessions like at the bigger tracks.   Another benefit is most the track events are on the weekends so you aren't blowing vacation days to do it. 

I will still mix in a few big track days a year, but I can't explain how much fun I have on the small bikes and I enjoy keeping a lot more coin in the account for a rainy day.