New job - new toy budget.

redkow97

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I keep finding great deals on German sedans. 

Most recently an ‘04 Audi S4. But the 4.2V8 has timing chain nightmares 

i also found a 535 xDrive for the same price, which negligible higher miles. 

I’m still hoping for an Si or a TSX with a 6-speed. 

I’m looking at accords too, but they don’t seem to make a sedan with a manual trans AND the V6, and if i’m Going to buy an accord, i don’t like the notion of it only having the 2.4

...i just realized that all the cars i listed use the 2.4 I-4 after 2012. Maybe that’s why i’m Leaning toward them. Parts availability. 

Finding TSXs for sale with 268k and up. That bodes well for my reliability concerns. 

I found a local second gen with 108k and a 6MT that i May take a look at. 

Its not as powerful as i’d Like, but it’s going to be a ton nicer and still quite a bit quicker than my corolla. And maybe 4 mpg worse on gas. Biggest ‘worry’ at this point is how the additional length will effect my work space in the garage. 

2005-2007 Legacy GT? I saw a super nice one in Galena that had a long list of nice, tasteful upgrades and was immaculately maintained for $6k a few weeks ago. I would've seriously considered getting it but just bought my FJR a few weeks prior. That particular one is sold now, the seller mentioned someone drove from Indiana to purchase it. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, 8Rider6 said:

2005-2007 Legacy GT? I saw a super nice one in Galena that had a long list of nice, tasteful upgrades and was immaculately maintained for $6k a few weeks ago. I would've seriously considered getting it but just bought my FJR a few weeks prior. That particular one is sold now, the seller mentioned someone drove from Indiana to purchase it. 

Don't buy modded subaru's.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Don't buy modded subaru's.

I get that as a general rule when it comes to a lot of them, but if you know what to look for in both the car and the owner, it's not nearly as big a deal as many people make it out to be. At any rate, there are plenty of non modded Legacy GTs out there people don't mod them nearly as much as WRXs/STIs. 

Also, Veloster Turbos aren't a bad car, I leased one for 3 years before getting a 2016 Focus ST. You should be able to get a used 2013-2014 VT for around $10k. The biggest drawbacks are the rear suspension (torsion beam) and road noise, but the interior is pretty nice for the price range and fun to drive, reliability shouldn't be an issue either. 

Edited by 8Rider6

The german stuff its cheap because it already has issues or its soon to bite you on the backend after the sale.

If you have any semblance of a "budget", please don't buy old ish/ high mileage german, especially obscure stuff... unless its a backup car.   Its a cool ride till its finicky and/or always broken and that gets old reaaaalllly fast.    

Also... A4, 3 series all the lower rung stuff is pretty meh to drive, not worth the hassle,...just go Acura, Lexus, SI, or a focus/fiesta ST or something. Even a nice Accord sedan/coupe with a 6 cylinder will really hustle and be around a long long time.