Title-ing an offroad bike for onroad use

YSR_Racer_99

I've searched the interwebs and found all kinds of older posts, i.e. 2008, but things have changed a lot since then.   Here's my situation:  Looking at an old DRZ400E (off road only version).  Seller has out of state (PA) title which he never xferred into his name years ago.  He now lives in Ohio.  The PA title has ORV (off road vehicle) as its body type and "Odometer Disclosure Exemption" typed on the title. 
Now, if he can get the Ohio title to not have those things (i.e. MC instead of OR or ORV) when he gets the Ohio title, we're all good.  BUT, worst case scenario, what if he can only get ORV on the Ohio title?  Has anyone converted ORV to on-road RECENTLY?  Past couple years.   I want it to switch "uses" (i.e. no ORV on the Ohio title) when the PA to OH change occurs.  How to best accomplish that.  He'll have the out of state inspection already done, so will be walking into the title office with the PA title and out of state inspection in hand.

TIA

• 2 weeks later...

Alright kids, I'm going to walk you through this long, strenuous, difficult process.  Grab a sammich and adult beverage and settle in. 

Take the old title to the title office.   For "vehicle type" mine had ORV (or something similar) noted.   Note: I had just bought the bike, so was xferring title as well.

Told the lady that I wanted to convert to a street title.  She grabbed a piece of paper, slid it across the counter, and told me to sign it.  States that I've done everything to make it street legal.  Signed it, slid it back to her, and she slid me my new street title.

Done.
Finish your sammich.  Then start shopping for whatever dirt bike you thought would kick ass on the street.  

• Upvote 1

that's what i thought.  The actual process of getting a dirt-bike set up with brake lights is a bit harder though.  The switches linked to the lever/pedal are the hardest part to "rig."  Easier to just use a lever from a street bike, and accept that rear brake won't activate the brake light, IMHO.

pics?

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/19/2018 at 12:47 PM, redkow97 said:

that's what i thought.  The actual process of getting a dirt-bike set up with brake lights is a bit harder though.  The switches linked to the lever/pedal are the hardest part to "rig."  Easier to just use a lever from a street bike, and accept that rear brake won't activate the brake light, IMHO.

pics?

I used the Tusk kit for about $159.   For braking, uses a hydraulic switch which replaces the front brake master cylinder banjo bolt.     One main connector to your battery runs all the other stuff they include.  I didn't use the taillight assembly which came with the tusk kit, opting instead for a $10 version off of ebay.   Horn, turn signals, wiring harness, etc all included.  Didn't NEED to buy anything to supplement the kit.    If you've got a battery on the bike, you can use the kit.  

I'm  a front-brake user anyhow, so didn't worry about the rear brake activating the taillight BUT they will sell you a second hydraulic switch for the rear if you want it.