Matte helmets

max power

Just now, max power said:

Anyone have one? Are they hard to clean?

Every one I’ve looked at seems kind of rubbery so I imagine the bugs stick a little better.

Who has real world experience?

Have a matte black Shoei and it’s not harder to clean than any other helmet I have owned, gloss or otherwise.

• Upvote 1

This is my old one that I just sold. 2 years old and just cleaned it with ammonia free glass cleaner and occasional soap water.

20180508_183447.thumb.jpg.4daa9f72e4759981b044f2beab496e08.jpg

My new one only has about 50 miles on haven't had to clean it yet.

20180604_182738.thumb.jpg.02dccef3a62f8cdb9a7907bfcf3c43ec.jpg

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

This is my old one that I just sold. 2 years old and just cleaned it with ammonia free glass cleaner and occasional soap water.

20180508_183447.thumb.jpg.4daa9f72e4759981b044f2beab496e08.jpg

My new one only has about 50 miles on haven't had to clean it yet.

20180604_182738.thumb.jpg.02dccef3a62f8cdb9a7907bfcf3c43ec.jpg

Is that silver or anthracite? 

You could have either finish. icon has rubatone, or there's flat top coat. I would say both (mid end helmet finished) are harder to clean (if not regularly) plus you could wax/pam gloss. Also depending depending on what you hit it on like boxers and vasoline, gloss is less likely to scuff.  Less to grab the road if you hit is better too. Wouldn't stop me from buying one I wanted or pay extra though. I wear them out and don't covet resale value. pic when new. now at two hard years not so nice. 

Mako t14.jpg

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, whaler said:

Have a matte black Shoei and it’s not harder to clean than any other helmet I have owned, gloss or otherwise.

I came in here expecting a bunch of people hating on matte helmets because I swear that's happened in here before when this has been brought up.

I have lots of miles on my rf1200 and I feel the same way, no harder to clean than any of my gloss helmets. I still have to use my finger nails sometimes and I still get bug guts stuck in the cracks of the vents and shit. I don't think its any hotter than my others either. The outer shell might absorb more but my matte helmet is also black. :dunno:

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

I came in here expecting a bunch of people hating on matte helmets because I swear that's happened in here before when this has been brought up.

I have lots of miles on my rf1200 and I feel the same way, no harder to clean than any of my gloss helmets. I still have to use my finger nails sometimes and I still get bug guts stuck in the cracks of the vents and shit. I don't think its any hotter than my others either. The outer shell might absorb more but my matte helmet is also black. :dunno:

Usually when the topic comes up everyone talks shit about matte black helmets, you're not remembering wrong lol. Think they usually bitch about safety/visibility, but those people are pansies. 

3 hours ago, prekarious said:

No harder to clean and not noticeably warmer.  Just looks better. 

Bugs will take come of the design off if you don't go with a single color.

My bell star is matte with a red design and bugs have not caused anything to happen to the finish.