Tao Dirt Bike/Pit Bikes

Mary#17

Anybody have any experience with the Tao dirt bikes? I'm looking for a semi automatic for my daughter and the used TTRs are either beat up or overpriced.  Supposedly has a Honda clone motor whatever that means. Thoughts? 

I bought a Tao-Tao quad brand new for my daughter’s probably 6-7 years ago. I had to do some small things to it for the 4-5 years we owned it. Cleaned the carb a time or 2, a couple new solenoids, maybe new ECU, got all the parts dirt cheap on EBay. I had to repair the gas tank outlet, the plastic outlet tube cracked and started leaking. If you’re somewhat mechanically inclined it’s not terrible to own especially if you’re just going to be yard riding. I don’t think the quad would have held up to consistent trail bashing like 1 from the big 4 would. My girls did ride it on my track a bit and it withstood some single jumps, however. Not sure what you’re looking to spend but I picked up a KLX140 for $900 a few years back.  Kawasaki ‘s KLX 110 and 140 are similar to TTR I believe. 

My husband is very mechanically inclined so that's no biggie. I've found a 2002 TTR 90 locally for $800 that looks a little beat or I can get a 2009 from Columbus for $1000.  The Tao is $650.  I'm having a hard time justifying $800 for a somewhat beat up 16 year old bike.  It's just going to be a trail bike so I'm not that concerned with the suspension. I'm completely indecisive at the moment for what I want to do. Keep going back and forth. 

Thank you for the comments on your experience with the bike.