Jump to content
nebbish

Tire install?

Recommended Posts

they think a cruiser takes the same time a sportbike does.  so every time he comes out ahead, he loses that same amount a job or 2 later.   he worked at triump in cincinnati and made way more money but again, the fag that is in charge kept fucking him on his hours and never even got his last paycheck because they said he stole tools.  the tools were his.   they have a reputation of doing this to all their techs.   so anyone reading this don't work for triumph of cincinnati.

I'm just doing this for the hell of it.   I make ok money.  could I do more on flat rate.  yes.  however, like I said you work on some pile of shit like a 1997 polaris wave runner thing(not sure the exact name of theirs) like we have out back right now you lose your ass.  basically work for free.  sit and diagnose it after it sat for 3 years. then they waive all of the diag fee if they decide to let us fix it.  oh and if it doesn't fix it, you get back charged the whole time. so you end up owing the shop money. lol

fuck flat rate pay. 

Edited by serpentracer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2018 at 8:27 PM, whaler said:

 

the real problem is shops run too lean and the quality of technician is not what it once was.

because once upon a time a tech needed to know carbs, tires and mechanicals that had all been the same for decades. Now they have to know all that plus throttle bodies/fuel injection and all the different generations, makes and brands, a million different points of electrical malfunction, ECU tuning, be an off-road "powersports" expert, do all the dealer training while doing 10 recalls a day across 10 different brands while knowing all about early 80's bikes and answering phone calls about torque specs on an engine some guy is trying to rebuild on his own without a manual while being treated like he's a dumbass or scammer for the tiniest mistake.

 

....all for 1990 wages.

Edited by ped

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2018 at 9:09 PM, Tonik said:

40 bucks on the bike at a dealer is insane. Where is it, I will drive there every time I need a rear done on my big ass bagger. Remove both saddle bags, both shocks. Jack it way up so the axle drops below the exhaust then get the tire out through the bottom.

100 bucks seems more inline to me.

Now if that 40 means you have to buy the tire from the dealer at list price I might change my answer.

$29 off bike bought at shop

$44.50 if walk in off bike

$55/$55 on bike bought at shop - sport bike (reality = 1hr)

$89 rear/$55 front- bought at shop for cruiser/bagger (reality - 2.5hr job)

 

shop rate $89hr....flat rate is a joke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, ped said:

because once upon a time a tech needed to know carbs, tires and mechanicals that had all been the same for decades. Now they have to know all that plus throttle bodies/fuel injection and all the different generations, makes and brands, a million different points of electrical malfunction, ECU tuning, be an off-road "powersports" expert, do all the dealer training while doing 10 recalls a day across 10 different brands while knowing all about early 80's bikes and answering phone calls about torque specs on an engine some guy is trying to rebuild on his own without a manual while being treated like he's a dumbass or scammer for the tiniest mistake.

 

....all for 1990 wages.

I certainly will not argue your points... the low wage has removed the older experienced mechanics and there is no way to pass the experience to younger mechanics. This is a problem in many trades, even if pay is good.

I have known many great motorcycle mechanics over the years, but most if not all have retired or left the industry because of pay. The vacuum has been filled by people who should not work on anything, let alone a motorcycle. There are still good mechanics out there, but it’s far and few between... as evidence by the horrible work people bring to me and I have to fix. The amount of tires mounted backwards is mind boggling!

Edited by whaler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't believe dirt bike tire are directional.   wtf!

and now dunlop is putting green dots on tires too.  can't wait for the next "expert tire guy" to tell me I put it in the wrong spot why his bent, out of round rim needs 2.75oz is wrong because I put the green dot in the wrong spot. lol

Edited by serpentracer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, whaler said:

evidence by the horrible work people bring to me and I have to fix. The amount of tires mounted backwards is mind boggling!

THIS. It still amazes me of some of the cobbled up shit that I see brought to my garage from people who previously used "reputable shop mechanics"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Conversely - I love the looks i get when i explain to joe cruiser guy bitching about "speed wobble" our team won 6 wera national titles on tires we didnt balance and mounted backward to use the good side of the tread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ped said:

Conversely - I love the looks i get when i explain to joe cruiser guy bitching about "speed wobble" our team won 6 wera national titles on tires we didnt balance and mounted backward to use the good side of the tread.

You just made me feel more confident/comfortable in the fact I never balance my tires When I mount them. I’m cheap, so I bought my own spoons for about the same price a shop charges to mount. I just do it myself now. 

Edited by durk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its not a coincidence it changed with the rise of schools like MMI. As well the "old school" mechanics not only got out due to stagnant wages but because it got way too hard with the electronics. I know those old schoolers who are supposed to be top notch and theyre shocking uninformed about modern stuff.

 

Motorcycle people love perception. Theres a whole industry around selling an image. Baby boomers and harley...Its one of the most BS marketing industries in the modern world. Its pure adult toy. So along with that they want a certain image of a mechanic and shop.

One of the coolest most down to earth guys i seen come in my mostly jap cruiser and powersports shop were iron horsemen. Dudes actually rode their harelys and didnt just try to use us as a defacto detail/customizer shop for their garage queens they whine about endlessly. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2018 at 8:59 PM, serpentracer said:

they think a cruiser takes the same time a sportbike does.  so every time he comes out ahead, he loses that same amount a job or 2 later.   he worked at triump in cincinnati and made way more money but again, the fag that is in charge kept fucking him on his hours and never even got his last paycheck because they said he stole tools.  the tools were his.   they have a reputation of doing this to all their techs.   so anyone reading this don't work for triumph of cincinnati.

Triumph of Cincinnati is under new management. His name is the same as the last managers, so don't be confused. The old manager was let go last fall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2018 at 3:10 PM, Travisty said:

Triumph of Cincinnati is under new management. His name is the same as the last managers, so don't be confused. The old manager was let go last fall. 

Thats good.  From what ive heard he was a pile of shit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×