Tire install?

Nebbors

1 hour ago, nebbish said:

You are a mod. Jack hole.

@whaler are you able to do this? What kind of beer or pizza or (really) cheap hooker do you want?

Of course he is able to do it. That's why I suggested him dumbass.

on the bike what do you guys feel is a fair price?

because I took a job at a dealership and to be honest, they don't charge enough in my opinion.  it's no wonder why so many little shops go under.  $40 a tire is not paying bills.

for example I worked at a glass company.  to install a 12"X12" pc of glass is $125.  no discounts.  the price goes up if the size is beyond what 1 guy can lift.  goes up more if needs a ladder etc.

the motorcycle mechanic industry is practically a charity compared to other industries.

Edited by serpentracer

10 minutes ago, serpentracer said:

on the bike what do you guys feel is a fair price?

because I took a job at a dealership and to be honest, they don't charge enough in my opinion.  it's no wonder why so many little shops go under.  $40 a tire is not paying bills.

for example I worked at a glass company.  to install a 12"X12" pc of glass is $125.  no discounts.  the price goes up if the size is beyond what 1 guy can lift.  goes up more if needs a ladder etc.

the motorcycle mechanic industry is practically a charity compared to other industries.

40 bucks on the bike at a dealer is insane. Where is it, I will drive there every time I need a rear done on my big ass bagger. Remove both saddle bags, both shocks. Jack it way up so the axle drops below the exhaust then get the tire out through the bottom.

100 bucks seems more inline to me.

Now if that 40 means you have to buy the tire from the dealer at list price I might change my answer.

2 minutes ago, Tonik said:

40 bucks on the bike at a dealer is insane. Where is it, I will drive there every time I need a rear done on my big ass bagger. Remove both saddle bags, both shocks. Jack it way up so the axle drops below the exhaust then get the tire out through the bottom.

100 bucks seems more inline to me.

Now if that 40 means you have to buy the tire from the dealer at list price I might change my answer.

not us but small shops seem to do tires on a bike for $40 and $20 off.  $100 is more in line.  but we don't charge that.  we are only charging $50 sportbikes and $60 full dressers.   they're dumb as fuck.   they admitted the shop hasn't made money in 10+ years.  sorry folks, it's a business you have to charge appropriately to keep the doors open.  I keep telling them they need to charge at least $100 for a rear.   and maybe $70 for a front.  since they're usually not that bad. 

in my old line of work, it was a franchise.  we were advised what to charge.  the lady that owned the store thought her prices were expensive.  when corporate came to town for a visit they told her they were too low.  and needed to charge $200 labor for each pc of glass install. she still only does $125 for the first 2.  which takes me about an hour to install.  even so, it's far less work than a motorcycle tire. 

to add to what I said,  they also charge $85 diagnostic fee. but then wave it if we fix the bike.  that's stupid as hell.  it's no wonder the shop is a hole they  throw money into.  

like I said,  the motorcycle repair business is mostly a charity.  and people like to whine it cost too much.    it seems like it but they have to pay bills  and make a living too.  

oh and you know why shops seem to take 2 months to fix your bike?  they think that makes the charge seem justified.   as if it took that long to fix.  90% of the time it sits, it sits on purpose.   another thing I'm trying to get them to quit doing.  people want their shit back and love when it's done fast. it's a foreign concept to them believe it or not.

Edited by serpentracer

I helped build the tire change program at the dealership I work at. We charge $90/tire on the bike, $65/tire carry in. This pricing was after many conversations with the owner. We wanted a flat rate for all bikes, so some it seems pricey but others it seems like a bargain.

• Upvote 1

I think the tire mounting charge for most shops is a loss leader to get you to buy the tire there and to get you to pay for other services while your at it like oil changes and such.   Letting a bike sit just to make it seem like it takes a long time to fix it is a sure way to go out of business quick. That’s just stupid. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, serpentracer said:

oh and you know why shops seem to take 2 months to fix your bike?  they think that makes the charge seem justified.   as if it took that long to fix.  90% of the time it sits, it sits on purpose.   another thing I'm trying to get them to quit doing.  people want their shit back and love when it's done fast. it's a foreign concept to them believe it or not.

That's a stupid mindset. 10 billable hours is 10 billable hours, no matter if it's over the course of a month or a day. I always imagined parts availability was the holdup, at least for my Triumph sitting in the shop for a month for a routine service interval. Apparently gaskets and air intake boots are really really hard to find in the USA.

3 hours ago, Tonik said:

Yep, for any of them other than Harley. Dunno about Indian.

Have never waited more than 3 days for any Japanese big three, with the exception of an older bike with a back ordered part. Even then it was a week. Bought brake caliper rebuild kit for an 83 Yamaha Seca 900 and had them in 3 days.

the real problem is shops run too lean and the quality of technician is not what it once was.

23 hours ago, whaler said:

Have never waited more than 3 days for any Japanese big three, with the exception of an older bike with a back ordered part. Even then it was a week. Bought brake caliper rebuild kit for an 83 Yamaha Seca 900 and had them in 3 days.

the real problem is shops run too lean and the quality of technician is not what it once was.

Im sure.  You know why?  Flat rate pay.  A mechanic worth a shit doesnt like flat rate pay.  Especially when a service manager has never been a mechanic he always under estimates the time.  This doofus where i work thinks a valve check on a modern bike is a 45 min job.  So thats all the tech makes.   I told them id only work there if it was hourly.   Theres no damn way im helping pay for the work by doing it for free.  And thats flat rate in a nutshell.  You also lose your ass when doing warranty work.  Its always pays  half the time it really takes.

Edited by serpentracer

I used to be a Tech. I would only work for Flat Rate. Hourly is for amateurs.

My first job was hourly, once I realized how much money I was throwing away, I quit. I made twice as much in a good shop making flat rate. Not mention when the work was done, I went home. This was awesome in the slow season. But in the peak season I worked 12-14 hour days. Made enough to take voluntary lay off in the winter. 

This is only possible through a good shop! If you are a "A" level tech making less than 50k a year, leave that shop. 

4 hours ago, Travisty said:

I used to be a Tech. I would only work for Flat Rate. Hourly is for amateurs.

My first job was hourly, once I realized how much money I was throwing away, I quit. I made twice as much in a good shop making flat rate. Not mention when the work was done, I went home. This was awesome in the slow season. But in the peak season I worked 12-14 hour days. Made enough to take voluntary lay off in the winter. 

This is only possible through a good shop! If you are a "A" level tech making less than 50k a year, leave that shop. 

as long as the service manager doesn't fuck you.  and here, you don't get paid for diagnostics. which often takes hours.  and often accept old garbage bikes that been beat to death.  also lots of wiring issues and you have to figure it all out in an hour.  after watching the flat rate guys bitch all day I'll take hourly.  im often doing more work than they are.  the one guy worked all day and made 2hrs flat rate in 5hrs.  because of the way this shop bills.  he had to pull the entire exhaust off a suzuki cruiser to get the rear tire off.  took him 3 hrs to do 2 tires and got paid for 1.   then does a cbr1000rr 2 tires and an oil change in 50 mins.  that's how bad this shop fucks flat rate guys.   

Edited by serpentracer