Fed up with sena

Gixxus Christ!

59 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

What spacer are you talking about? 

They come with a foam spacer. It is the diameter of the speaker, maybe a half inch thick in case you need it closer to your ears.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

They come with a foam spacer. It is the diameter of the speaker, maybe a half inch thick in case you need it closer to your ears.

Ah, its been so long since I remember seeing everything that came with the box. I know where my box for it is though, somehow, after all this time haha.

2 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Ah, its been so long since I remember seeing everything that came with the box. I know where my box for it is though, somehow, after all this time haha.

Only reason I knew is cuz I just dug all that stuff out a week ago for my new helmet.

I wouldn't argue and say it's the products fault, especially when you are using a 3 generation old model.  The improvements since the smh10 to the 30K are substantial.  If you are really having a hard time keeping the mount stuck to your helmet, maybe consider something like jbweld for plastic.  It certainly won't come off then, which I suppose could be an issue if you ever decide to upgrade. 

I love my SENA.  Their customer service is horrendous, but the product is good. 

33 minutes ago, DerekClouser said:

I wouldn't argue and say it's the products fault, especially when you are using a 3 generation old model.  The improvements since the smh10 to the 30K are substantial.  If you are really having a hard time keeping the mount stuck to your helmet, maybe consider something like jbweld for plastic.  It certainly won't come off then, which I suppose could be an issue if you ever decide to upgrade. 

I love my SENA.  Their customer service is horrendous, but the product is good. 

Maybe an upgrade is in order...but there are other things in line ahead of it like a new mesh jacket and maybe some soft luggage for the gsxs. Unless the speakers are radically thinner than the smh10 it still won't work for me, I was amazed today at all the ear room i had, and there was even air circulating around my waxy little lobes. It was nice having music on the bike, but that was about all they got used for except for a handful of rides with other people using the intercom, which was really great, but I so rarely ride with anyone that it doesn't count for much.

8 hours ago, Steve Butters said:

It's already fit into the hole it's just too thick... I'll check out that adhesive, either that or some tape... I'm just curious why I'm the only one with an rf1200 and fitment issues lol

It took me awhile to get it figured out. I'm curious how it would sound to point the speakers outwards towards the shell of the helmet. The rf1200 has holes in the speaker recess like that might be the way to do it. 

1 hour ago, cOoTeR said:

It took me awhile to get it figured out. I'm curious how it would sound to point the speakers outwards towards the shell of the helmet. The rf1200 has holes in the speaker recess like that might be the way to do it. 

That won't work on any planet, let alone this one. 

20 hours ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

That won't work on any planet, let alone this one. 

Can you explain why there are holes in the bottom of the speaker cut out instead of something for the velcro to attach to? It doesn't really show in the picture but they are raised up and there is a little gap between the holes and the styrofoam. 

1550263-6d38c44ccc6bdacdc36af53d32ec28e0.jpg

Could be a number of reasons; ventilation and weight reduction being the most likely. Can you name me any audio system except subwoofers (bass is non-directional) where the speaker is pointed in the opposite direction of the listener or pushed directly against a surface made of sound-deadening material for greater listening enjoyment? No, you can't because sound waves move through the air most efficiently when there isn't anything in the way. You can take my word for it, or you can flip your speakers around and listen to the dulcet tones of freddy mercury as he sings bohemian rhapsody into a pillow.

1 hour ago, cOoTeR said:

Can you explain why there are holes in the bottom of the speaker cut out instead of something for the velcro to attach to? It doesn't really show in the picture but they are raised up and there is a little gap between the holes and the styrofoam. 

1550263-6d38c44ccc6bdacdc36af53d32ec28e0.jpg

Everybody in this thread has an rf1200 and sena and no fitment problems, but still waiting on somebody to show some pics or something... It clearly doesn't fit in mine without a spacer, so I'm so interested to see how yall are mounting them. I shouldn't have to permanently mount them with putty or jb weld or tape if everyone else is using velcro and it fits... I'm seriously fucking confused what I could be doing differently, there's not many ways you can spin those speakers to change orientation when mounting them. Cooter is the only one who will admit to using a spacer to mount his, but the spacers are just way too thick for me, it shoves the speakers into my ear. 

I'll never be convinced that these speakers are compatible with this helmet using the included mounting shit, they just don't fit. 

21 minutes ago, Steve Butters said:

Everybody in this thread has an rf1200 and sena

For the record, I do not have an rf1200. Was just being my usual helpful self and giving advice.  :)

1 hour ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

Could be a number of reasons; ventilation and weight reduction being the most likely. Can you name me any audio system except subwoofers (bass is non-directional) where the speaker is pointed in the opposite direction of the listener or pushed directly against a surface made of sound-deadening material for greater listening enjoyment? No, you can't because sound waves move through the air most efficiently when there isn't anything in the way. You can take my word for it, or you can flip your speakers around and listen to the dulcet tones of freddy mercury as he sings bohemian rhapsody into a pillow.

There is a gap between the holes and the styrofoam as if there are channels or something between the inner shell similar to the ventilation channels. But I don't believe that these holes are here for ventilation because they have a foam insert that sits in them from the factory. Why would they do something that would increase wind noise right beside your ears?  I don't think they are there for weight savings because they are only located in the 2 speaker cut outs. My speakers fit and work fine in mine. The spacers are already stuck in with the adhesive that comes with them so there is no reason for me to tear them out just to try it. But Steve Butters doesn't have anything stuck in there at this point so it couldn't hurt him to try it out. Especially since the wire for the 20S speaker is on the back half of the speaker and is what gets in the way when trying to push tree speaker into the cut out. 

I can't elaborate on why the SMH10 doesn't fit the Bell Star very well, but I know the Sena 20S fits just fine on my Star.   I had some intermittent electrical contact issues between the base mount and the unit itself because I'd over tightened the mount clamp on the helmet shell, but once I loosened the bolts up a bit.....the problem ceased and it's been fine ever since.  

On 5/26/2018 at 10:41 AM, cOoTeR said:

There is a gap between the holes and the styrofoam as if there are channels or something between the inner shell similar to the ventilation channels. But I don't believe that these holes are here for ventilation because they have a foam insert that sits in them from the factory. Why would they do something that would increase wind noise right beside your ears?  I don't think they are there for weight savings because they are only located in the 2 speaker cut outs. My speakers fit and work fine in mine. The spacers are already stuck in with the adhesive that comes with them so there is no reason for me to tear them out just to try it. But Steve Butters doesn't have anything stuck in there at this point so it couldn't hurt him to try it out. Especially since the wire for the 20S speaker is on the back half of the speaker and is what gets in the way when trying to push tree speaker into the cut out. 

I refer you to my previous comment. Speakers work better when they're pointed at your ears. Doing the reverse will not improve things.