Would you ever buy a bike without test riding it first?

Casper

Was just told by a local dealer I couldn’t test ride a motorcycle. First time I’ve tried to buy a bike from said dealer, and first time I’ve ever been told I couldn’t test ride. Is this common? 

Depends on the dealer. I have bought them new without being on the exact bike I am buying, but had done demo rides on them prior.

But other than that, no I would not but it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MidgetTodd said:

Ive never known one to let you test ride new bikes. Only been to two dealers that have let me ride a used one

I wouldn’t let you test ride a bike either. :lol:

Last new bike I bought, I walked in, said I want to test ride this. They said ok, got it prepped, I rode it, I bought it. I’ve never bought a bike without riding it first. I wouldn’t buy a car without driving it first, and a bike is much more important to get right. 

The dealership I work at will roll any machine off the showroom floor for a test ride. Just need proof of endorsement for a bike. Heck I had a guy drive around a brand new turbo charged side by side today through our field.

• Upvote 2

Just now, JustinNck1 said:

The dealership I work at will roll any machine off the showroom floor for a test ride. Just need proof of endorsement for a bike. Heck I had a guy drive around a brand new turbo charged side by side today through our field.

What dealer do you work at? 

If it's not a Pani V4, or some other ultra premium sport bike, they ought to let you ride one, or find a recent used one to demo.  I bought my Daytona without riding one, but I did ride Tim's previous gen around the paddock at Mid Ohio to get some idea.  So whatcha getting???

2 hours ago, Tonik said:

Tell me too, I can tell you what Cleveland area dealers will let you ride.

Why is it a secret?

Probably a dealer that pays some $$ to the site and he doesn't want to badmouth them publicly. 

Ride1 in Hilliard said they don't do test rides unless you've signed paperwork and handed over your downpayment (aka, already bought the bike). Gave me some BS about hours of labor to prep the bike when in actuality they just need to attach the battery... It seems to be fairly common that dealers don't allow test rides, at least the ones I've called/talked to regarding the FZ/MT-10. 

33 minutes ago, what said:

Gave me some BS about hours of labor to prep the bike when in actuality they just need to attach the battery... It seems to be fairly common that dealers don't allow test rides, at least the ones I've called/talked to regarding the FZ/MT-10. 

There is some truth to this. Technically before a motorcycle is ever test rode a pre delivery inspection must be done, which includes checking several torques on axles, steering components, etc. Usually takes like 15 minutes for our shop guys.

Not sure since new ownership but in the past you could test ride in Mt Vernon. While looking for a Vaquero I was all but laughed at while at IP. Thank god. Also woulda cost me $4000 more to bring the bike home. Seemed they didn’t have much interest in selling a bike. 

I've bought 5 of 6 used bikes without riding them. The one I did ride turned out to have a bad 3rd gear that got worse.

They were all bikes with a big enough following to have a pretty good idea about them. I also rented a DR650 before test riding the one I bought. 

7 hours ago, Killer_kaw said:

Not sure since new ownership but in the past you could test ride in Mt Vernon. While looking for a Vaquero I was all but laughed at while at IP. Thank god. Also woulda cost me $4000 more to bring the bike home. Seemed they didn’t have much interest in selling a bike. 

Iron Pony sucks.

hell I put a deposit on the VFR without ever seeing it in person and never test rode it before handing over the rest of the cash

Edited by Bad324