Pain while riding, or "I'm getting old"

Gixxus Christ!

So I'm going to be 39 in a week and I'm really starting to feel the cumulative effects of a lifetime of abuse and neglect. 

The gsxs1000f is a reasonably comfortable bike, it has pretty high bars and kinda low pegs for a sport bike. Seating position is very similar to bandit/fjr/c14 etc with just a bit less room. I've been putting in a lot of miles lately trying to get the bike past the 600 mile break in period so I can really start wailing on her. I find after an hour or so my left knee is pretty angry, and sometimes the arthritis in my hips acts up. On long freeway stretches I find my right arm gets pretty sore if i try to one-hand it. I know some of this will get better as my body gets used to more time in the saddle, it was a long winter this year and i only rode maybe 1300 miles last season for a variety of reasons. 

There are plenty of riders on here older than me and a few of you are even in worse shape, so: do you have similar issues? If so, how do you mitigate them? 600 mg ibuprofen before a ride? Fistful of vicodin? Take lots of breaks? Hookers and blow in the evening to help you forget? Bourbon and donuts? I want to be able to enjoy long all day rides but at this point that is not an option. 

7 minutes ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

600 mg ibuprofen before a ride

This.

But I only need to do that on multiple day long trips. Single day runs are not an issue.

I have found after market motorcycle seats a huge improvement on the comfort of the bike. I have cruise control on the FZ10 which is great and use a "Go Cruise" on my other bikes. Allowing my hand a rest off the throttle helps my hand, wrist and arm fatigue. I a ride a road bicycle (Now limited to only 20 miles a ride) elliptical for (40) minutes when I can't ride the bicycle and lift weights four days a week. Trying to keep in shape allows me to ride 400+ mile a day on the motorcycle. I rode 3000 miles on the motorcycles in Florida this winter. 

I am currently on so many prescription drugs I don't take additional pain relief medications. I have taken them in the past and they are helpful on multi day rides. 

Agree to take your fav pain killer before a longer ride. Also with a new bike, the ergos a slightly different than your other rides, so you are awakening muscles that you didnt know you had. Then same kinda deal... every year early in the season we are out of "riding shape" and by the end of the season, that stuff doesnt bother as much. (Every year early in the season, my shoulders screen - " Here I am!")   -- - Another tip - try a throttle rocker.. that helps big or right hand/wrist/arm fatigue. -- Also agree with ricer -- playing with seats/bars/windscreens -- ergos can have a positive help too. -- Good luck...

(Gawd, what I wouldnt give to be 39 again...) 

I laugh at plenty of my VFR guys when they whine about "oh the ergos are so low!"    - Jeez, I put on the lower stock bars and it seems to fit me better, and I'm prolly a tic or two older.   

Edited by mello dude

The only thing that bothers me (at age 60) is my knees.   I take 3 Advil and I’m good to go.   If its a long day (over 8 hours in the saddle) I’ll take a few more after 6 hours.  

If I’m on a long trip (10-16 days) my doc suggested taking a Pepsid to help the stomach out.  

It might be the ergos of the bike,if not,cruise control and movement of different areas of your body might help.Most distance riders have a routine where they move one arm/shoulder for little time,then the other arm/shoulder,then rotate their back.And then work on their legs.I stand a lot on my bikes,but a lot of people consider that dangerous and don't recommend it,but movement on long rides will help.

Ear plugs also reduce general fatigue and non-cotton underwear will help with the monkey butt.

I'm 57 and 400 mile twisty days are still pretty common and pain free on a FJR.

I gotta set up controls in a way to keep me from wanting to stiff arm the bars. Also I’ve never had a stock seat I liked. They’re usually comfy and soft. Short rides ok but 200 miles in not so much. Lots of folks refer to Corbin’s as bricks but they’re much  better on a long day. A decent helmet that cuts through the wind really helps my neck. And a couple avieve don’t hurt either. 

I’m 41 with some bad knees. ACL surgery on right about 3 yrs ago. Left probably needs looked at, bothers me at times. I ride a 1000rr and can have some aches on the bike for sure. For me to get to any good roads I typically have to spend about an hour on Rt 11. On the freeway I often throw my feet on my rear spools to keep from having to be all crunched up. Once I get to the better roads my adrenaline kicks in and I’m usually shifting on the seat. I agree with others on the idea of changing body position helping. My knees will definitely hurt but the smile on my face makes me forget. I always wear a pair of padded bicycle shorts because Honda puts bricks for seats on their sport bikes. I always carry ibuprofen along with Tums and allergy eye drops on my bike. Occasionally I will get some shoulder or elbow pain and that’s when I’ll pop 800mg of ibuprofen. Usually I need to get gas within 2 hours of riding and that break usually is good enough to relieve knee aches. When I put in 500 or more miles I like to stop for a good 30 minute lunch as well. It does my whole body a lot of good. I feel it when I skip lunch for sure and it’s not because of hunger or nutrition my body misses the rest. 

2 hours ago, drc32-0 said:

I stand a lot on my bikes,but a lot of people consider that dangerous and don't recommend it,but movement on long rides will help.

Interesting you say that. I stand and move up and down quite often on a longer ride. Also when I know I am going to attack a major group of twistys, I stand up and down a few times to shake off any stiffness and to get my brain and focus up to 10/10ths to remind myself any effe ups are not acceptable. 

My roots are from motocross so standing on any bike is no big deal... 

I stand periodically both to reset my knees and to swing my junk around into a more comfortable position if I find myself half sitting on my yam bag. My knees crack and pop a lot and shitty knees and hips run in my family so I know eventually there will be some metal in there someplace. My neck rarely bothers me, my hands cramp on my sometimes and carpal tunnel doesn't help much. Have impinged nerves and bone spurs in my shoulders  but lately that hasn't been an issue. I'll try and make it part of my pre-ride to pop some ibu and stretch more before rides and at stops. I'm free tomorrow for the epic ride but honestly I'm just not physically ready for 2 hours slab south, a few hours riding and another slab back north. Trying my damndest to ride at least an hour daily to get my body back into the groove. We shall see. 

1 hour ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

I stand periodically both to reset my knees and to swing my junk around into a more comfortable position if I find myself half sitting on my yam bag. My knees crack and pop a lot and shitty knees and hips run in my family so I know eventually there will be some metal in there someplace. My neck rarely bothers me, my hands cramp on my sometimes and carpal tunnel doesn't help much. Have impinged nerves and bone spurs in my shoulders  but lately that hasn't been an issue. I'll try and make it part of my pre-ride to pop some ibu and stretch more before rides and at stops. I'm free tomorrow for the epic ride but honestly I'm just not physically ready for 2 hours slab south, a few hours riding and another slab back north. Trying my damndest to ride at least an hour daily to get my body back into the groove. We shall see. 

I'm not old, but any sort of slab longer than 30 minutes, makes my ass completely numb and I wanna shoot myself.  

Just get into the twisties.  The constant back and forth prevents you from being sore from stagnant body parts.  Even at 32, I always take ibuprofen before long all day rides to help.   

As for the Epic Ride... Join my ride down to the meetup.  We won't be slabbing and it'll be tons of fun and you won't even realize how far south you are before you know it.  

57 minutes ago, DerekClouser said:

I'm not old, but any sort of slab longer than 30 minutes, makes my ass completely numb and I wanna shoot myself.  

Just get into the twisties.  The constant back and forth prevents you from being sore from stagnant body parts.  Even at 32, I always take ibuprofen before long all day rides to help.   

As for the Epic Ride... Join my ride down to the meetup.  We won't be slabbing and it'll be tons of fun and you won't even realize how far south you are before you know it.  

Sometimes slabs are a necessity derek, an unavoidable shit sammich. I'd love to do the epic tomorrow but even an hour of hilly, twisty country roads still taxes my knee pretty hard. I'll make lots of summer rides and the fall epic for sure but I know myself well enough to know I'd be in some significant pain halfway through tomorrow.

https://throttlemeister.com/

Relief on that right hand allows you a bit more mobility on the bike. Add in a better seat and it will be like a different bike. After my friend took at bike trip with me to the dragon last summer, he ordered a new seat for his GSXS1000 and loves it. 

Edit: also, long frame sliders made excellent highway pegs. ?

Edited by mango_sv
Stuff

Here's a tip from a 60 year old who's not planning to stop riding anytime soon.  My Bandit has pegs up and inch and back an inch and drag (flat) bars.  I avoid the slab whenever possible but when I can't, I find posture and core support makes all the difference.  When droning, make sure you are squeezing the tank between your knees and push down with your feet - try to push your heels below or even with the level of the pegs.  This lower body posture will tighten your core and take a surprising amount of weight off your arms, shoulders, and upper back.  The "heels down" will help stretch the calves and keep them from cramping up.

Once you get the load off your upper body, practice keeping arms and shoulders loose by flapping your elbows frequently - think chicken dance.

And after you get this down, you should notice you don't have to hold the grips very tight at all.  Make sure your gloves fit well, I find too thick or too loose gloves will cause arm pump from gripping too tight.

I don't think more than 400mg of Ibuprofen at a time helps to alleviate pain any better.  Higher doses are great for reducing inflammation but 400mg before you start riding and every 4hrs or so will be adequate.

And, as mango said, Throttlemeister FTW!  Pricey, but a very well made product.

I'm younger than you, I stand up on my pegs to stretch the legs fairly often during rides, I'll also rest my chest on the tank bag from time to time. Got a throttle lock, so sometimes I'll hit that and then sit straight up and just lean a little to adjust my line in my lane. 

Lots of ibuprofen the night before and morning of long rides. I actually felt good all day long on the Vulcan minus an odd pain in my neck I’ve never experienced before on a bike. 

When I had Gumps 599 I’d use the crash protectors as highway begs. On the Suzuki I didn’t have that option and the Suzuki was the most painful bike ever. 

This happened to me when I bought the VFR. I actually hated it at first and would ride my 636 more often. Needless to say I got used to the ergos and it was the most comfortable bike I had.

I think it may just take time getting used to the ergos even if the difference is only slight compared to what you're used to.

Also, change the seat

Older than you...I've done few 700 + mile days on a Buell 1125R, CBR600RR etc.

Compression wraps took away any knee pain I had.  I wore them on 1 leg for a few seasons.

Techspec or stop grips help on longer rides.

I am very aware of my riding position and technique.  My "style" pretty much evolved into putting the least possible amount of energy into cornering.  I'm very aware of how tightly I'm holding the bars, how much weight is on my wrists,  how much effort I am putting into counter steering and leaning off the bike, etc.  On shorter rides it makes little difference....but on a 500 mile ride where there could be many thousands of curves even saving a tiny bit of energy on a curve adds up.