Has anyone here ridden the "Idaho Grand Loop"?

cOoTeR

Every couple of years I try to do a motorcycle vacation with a few friends. Most of the time it falls on me to plan the trip because most of my friends bought their bikes to look at and not ride. We normally do Durango Colorado area, Tail of the Dragon area, or Texas Hill Country area. For next year I'm thinking of doing the Idaho Grand Loop. I've never ridden in the area and was wondering if the roads are as nice as this page says they are, http://greatrideswest.com/?page_id=1252?

Also I was wondering what time of year is best for riding in the area.

It's about 2,550 miles of road starting in Salt Lake City. Pictures of the routes look pretty promising. We're thinking late June 2019 of anyone here is interested in joining us. 

I've been on some of those roads but I didn't ride that loop.From what I remember of that area I would say you'll have a great trip.I can't remember the route number I took out of Oregon but it followed a mountain stream that was so clear you could see the rocky river bed the whole way.Hells Canyon has some very good twisties as it drops down to the river.The Beartooth Pass-Chief Joseph area is some of the best mountain riding area in the U.S.!Teton has some beautiful mountain vistas from Signal Mountain and Jenny Lake.The Marina at Colter Bay is worth a stop.Great Campground there too if they still allow motorcycles on the Hiker-Biker loop.Since you'll be on the East side of Yellowstone be sure to see the Lower Lower Falls and Artist Point...Very Impressive!Old Faithfall...not so much.

I stayed in Stanley OR one night but I can't say I remember much about it.Missoula MT is fun little college town.I spent a couple months working in that area back in 2006...a little south on 93 in Hamilton.That whole Bitteroot area is pretty nice.If this loop takes you up to the Kalispel/Flathead Lake/Glacier NP area you might want to take sometime and explore that area.

Just a few things that I remember from that area.I wouldn't hesitate for a second to recommend that trip!I've heard a lot about LoLo Pass but I've never been there,I'm sure it will be an excellent ride.

I don't know how much time you have for this trip,but you might want to stop in over at the FJR Forum and ask around over there about little known favorite roads in that area.The guys that live out there might set you up with some great rides,restaurants and things to do and see.

Enjoy you're trip.

7 hours ago, drc32-0 said:

I've been on some of those roads but I didn't ride that loop.From what I remember of that area I would say you'll have a great trip.I can't remember the route number I took out of Oregon but it followed a mountain stream that was so clear you could see the rocky river bed the whole way.Hells Canyon has some very good twisties as it drops down to the river.The Beartooth Pass-Chief Joseph area is some of the best mountain riding area in the U.S.!Teton has some beautiful mountain vistas from Signal Mountain and Jenny Lake.The Marina at Colter Bay is worth a stop.Great Campground there too if they still allow motorcycles on the Hiker-Biker loop.Since you'll be on the East side of Yellowstone be sure to see the Lower Lower Falls and Artist Point...Very Impressive!Old Faithfall...not so much.

I stayed in Stanley OR one night but I can't say I remember much about it.Missoula MT is fun little college town.I spent a couple months working in that area back in 2006...a little south on 93 in Hamilton.That whole Bitteroot area is pretty nice.If this loop takes you up to the Kalispel/Flathead Lake/Glacier NP area you might want to take sometime and explore that area.

Just a few things that I remember from that area.I wouldn't hesitate for a second to recommend that trip!I've heard a lot about LoLo Pass but I've never been there,I'm sure it will be an excellent ride.

I don't know how much time you have for this trip,but you might want to stop in over at the FJR Forum and ask around over there about little known favorite roads in that area.The guys that live out there might set you up with some great rides,restaurants and things to do and see.

Enjoy you're trip.

Awesome thanks. When is it warm enough to ride around up there without cold weather gear? We're going to be living out of saddlebags for the trip so the less extra gear we bring the better. 

11 hours ago, 2talltim said:

Myself and @JustinNck1 will be taking some of these routes in August when we take our trip out west. 

Let me know what you think of the area.