Sold 2 bikes. What next?

Tpoppa

I sold the VFR 1200 and the VRSCR.  I have a decent amount of cash in the toy fund.  Not really sure what to do next.  I still have the CB500x, which is a surprisingly fun bike on and off road, it's even a pretty capable tourer.  I probably won't get another bike until the end of the season...and then no idea what direction I'd go with that.

I'm not really a car guy, but have been thinking about getting a second car as a toy...something German and sporty.  I've driven a few, fun but didn't totally get my blood pumping.  Plus, I just bought a new crossover.

Suggestions?

4 minutes ago, Bad324 said:

E46 M3

That's is the ballpark of what Ive been considering.

...A4/S4, C350, TT, G37, or a bmw 3 series.  I'm not that into cars, and the cost of ownership seems a lot higher than a motorcycle.

If I was gonna buy something non-motorcycle related, it would be a side by side. But, it's alot more of an investment (Truck, Trailer, etc). In my neck of the woods, there is trails everywhere and they are fun as hell to rip around on.

I will say I am a BMW guy, so there is bias here. But I've had lots of experience with German cars, both owned and friend-owned, and worked on them a lot. (Specifically the 2.7T, 1.8T motors from Audi and the S50/S52 motors from the e36 M3's and the S62 motor from the E39 M5.) The bang for buck and maintenance costs are in my experience lower than Audi or Merc. With that said, German is German, so don't expect Ford or Honda maintenance costs. I've personally never dabbled in Audi or Merc but my friends have, and lets just say they all went back to BMW's. As long as you take care of them, they will treat you right. The guy I sold my e39 M5 to in Mentor is/was selling his E46 M3 because he's DDing the M5.

E36 M3 (may not have enough straight line go for you coming from a bike, car is still fun to drive.)

E39 M5. (You can haul the kids and haul ass. German v8's are intoxicating.)

E46 M3 (Metallic exhaust note, less seating room.)

E46 ZHP (Basically the 4 door e46 m3 that bmw never made.) 

E60 M5 (More in maintenance costs, but German v10 sounds amazing.)

E90 M3 (Again, German v8 and comes in a coupe or a sedan.)

Stay away from the audi's the 2.7Ts (aka b5 s4) those can be money pits. The 1.8T's arent quick or fun at all unless you mod them, and then they become not so reliable.

Stay away from Mercedes. AMG's can be fun but on average you'll dump more money into a Merc than a bmw.

I wont even respond to the G37 (slow) or the TT comment (Unless it's a new TTRS).

Tony, you are a smart consumer so I know I don't need to tell you to do a PPI at a 3rd party dealer on whatever you plan on buying. If the current owner or dealer isn't willing to do a PPI, then I'd move on.

• Upvote 1

Good info Tim.

I'd be more interested in 'fun to drive' than all out HP.  I'd also take stock/reliable over something modded.  Also, nice interior and zero rust are a must...I've thought about buying something in TN or GA and bringing it home.  

As much as I like wrenching on motorcycles, I just don't like to work on cars.  But...I have a friend of a friend that is a skilled honest audi/merc/bmw/porsche mechanic.   He works at a lot that only deals in German cars.  He also does side work out of his garage for fair prices.

I like the Audi 3.2 motor either in the A4 or a TT.  I don't know as much about BMWs , not sure which models/power trains are most reliable.   In my budget I'd be looking for something with 80k+ on the odo and documented maintenance history...and do a PPI

24 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Good info Tim.

I'd be more interested in 'fun to drive' than all out HP.  I'd also take stock/reliable over something modded.  Also, nice interior and zero rust are a must...I've thought about buying something in TN or GA and bringing it home.  

As much as I like wrenching on motorcycles, I just don't like to work on cars.  But...I have a friend of a friend that is a skilled honest audi/merc/bmw/porsche mechanic.   He works at a lot that only deals in German cars.  He also does side work out of his garage for fair prices.

I like the Audi 3.2 motor either in the A4 or a TT.  I don't know as much about BMWs , not sure which models/power trains are most reliable.   In my budget I'd be looking for something with 80k+ on the odo and documented maintenance history...and do a PPI

I'll give you another quick run-down of the aforementioned models with some of the things you are looking for.

My general statement about zero rust and nice interior, you get what you pay for.

E36 M3: Fun to drive in stock form. Not a lot of power but handles very well and has enough to dump the clutch and get slidewayz whenever. Driver oriented, not many electronic aides. Fairly reliable as long as it has been maintained. Coolant systems aging are a common problem, lots of cracked and broken plastic reservoirs. It's a "common" maintenance thing is to replace some of the cooling system components that have aged. If you find an enthusiast that is selling, this probably was already done, but I would ask/ pay attention to that if you go see the car. Finding a nice e36 M3 interior can be challenging as the vader sport seats in good condition can hike up the value of the car. Worn bolsters are a common thing (like any car with semi aggressive side bolsters.) You'll find a lot of worn seats looking for an e36 M3, mint interiors usually bring a premium for these cars. I've seen them go from as low as 4k and as high as 15k+ depending on exterior/ interior color combo and condition.

E39 M5: Fun to drive in stock form, especially with a muffler delete (which will not drone, I owned one and within 24 hours had a shop chop off my mufflers and put straight pipes in, I still had resonators and if you ask anyone on the m5 boards or anyone that heard my car, it sounds fucking awesome. (Its one of the most common mods) And daily driving with no drone is fucking awesome. Drivers car, two buttons, sport mode on or off, and tcs on or off. It only comes in 6spd manual. This car for how large it is, behaves very well when sideways. I took mine up to 165 with 2 other people in the car and it still had some to go. I had the muffler delete and a tune that removed the limiter. Coolant system like the e36 should be overhauled. Mine was done shortly before I bought it. Rod bearings in the early 2000's were a larger issue than in 2001-2003. Stay away from 2000's M5. Mine was a 2001 and was great. Black-stone analysis is a great idea with these cars as it will warn you about the rod bearings before they become an issue. Vanos can sometimes be an issue as well. That's another one of those "fix it before it becomes an issue". Depending on miles, you may need a clutch, which are cheap. Labor is labor for that if you don't do it yourself. Again, you get what you pay for in terms of interior. These cars price depending on the interior/exterior color combo and condition. These seem to have higher price hikes depending on the color combo. For example, Alpine white was a rare exterior color, so any Alpine white on any interior color will be "worth" more than lets say jet black on black. There are also 2 packages, extended leather and standard. I'd go extended leather or you might as well buy a 540. Extended leather is nice, hand stitched leather dash and a bunch of other stuff. Really sets off the interior. Low mileage e39 M5's will bring a premium. Depending on condition these are going for $8-$45k. Check out Enthusiast Auto in Cincinnati for some of the best condition'd used bmw's ever. BUT YOU WILL PAY ENTHUSIAST AUTO PRICES. Which are retarded, but they have some of the best low milage e39's anywhere. But you are going to pay $30k+ for a 2001-2003 BMW lol.

E46 M3: Fun to drive in stock form. Comes in 6spd or smg. The SMG's need beat on every once in a while or the SMG pump will fail prematurely. SMG pump is a common maintenance item regardless. Same 2 buttons as the e39 M5. It's still a drivers car. Same thing about the coolant system. Rod bearings are a thing to keep an eye on. These only come in coupes. Have various trim levels and packages. You'll find these anywhere from $8-$25k. 

E46 ZHP: Fun to drive in stock form. Doesnt quite have all the umph of the e46 m3 but you can get this with 2 or 4 doors. They still look good. Come with various interior packages and exterior color combos. Coolant system. The gearing is good (like in most performance bmw's) so the lack of power when compared to the m3 isnt so noticeable. You'll find these from $7-$20k depending on miles and condition.

E60 M5: Probably the most expensive to own on the list. A lot of it has to do with the fact it a v10. More spark plugs to change, etc. Again, smg pump. Vanos. Cooling system. Has tcs off and on as well as sport mode. Comes in SMG or 6spd. Interior/exterior color combo's dont change the pricing as much as the e39's. You can find these anywhere from $10-$30k depending on miles and condition. The sound these make, make up for all the extra monies you spend/ spent, almost.

E90 M3: Fun to drive in stock form. Come in smg or 6spd. SMG pump. Cooling system. Sound it makes is fantastic. Gotta love German V8's. Color combo can sometimes come into play. Comes in various trim levels and packages. These have "held" value fairly well. You can find em for $12k-$30k depending on miles and condition.

Obviously I personally wouldn't buy any of these vehicles on the low end of the price range unless you are ok with putting some more money into the car to make it reliable for you. Pricing also depends on how much maintenance the vehicle has had recently and being able to track historical maintenance is always a bonus. 

2 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

I'll give you another quick run-down of the aforementioned models with some of the things you are looking for.

My general statement about zero rust and nice interior, you get what you pay for.

E36 M3: Fun to drive in stock form. Not a lot of power but handles very well and has enough to dump the clutch and get slidewayz whenever. Driver oriented, not many electronic aides. Fairly reliable as long as it has been maintained. Coolant systems aging are a common problem, lots of cracked and broken plastic reservoirs. It's a "common" maintenance thing is to replace some of the cooling system components that have aged. If you find an enthusiast that is selling, this probably was already done, but I would ask/ pay attention to that if you go see the car. Finding a nice e36 M3 interior can be challenging as the vader sport seats in good condition can hike up the value of the car. Worn bolsters are a common thing (like any car with semi aggressive side bolsters.) You'll find a lot of worn seats looking for an e36 M3, mint interiors usually bring a premium for these cars. I've seen them go from as low as 4k and as high as 15k+ depending on exterior/ interior color combo and condition.

E39 M5: Fun to drive in stock form, especially with a muffler delete (which will not drone, I owned one and within 24 hours had a shop chop off my mufflers and put straight pipes in, I still had resonators and if you ask anyone on the m5 boards or anyone that heard my car, it sounds fucking awesome. (Its one of the most common mods) And daily driving with no drone is fucking awesome. Drivers car, two buttons, sport mode on or off, and tcs on or off. It only comes in 6spd manual. This car for how large it is, behaves very well when sideways. I took mine up to 165 with 2 other people in the car and it still had some to go. I had the muffler delete and a tune that removed the limiter. Coolant system like the e36 should be overhauled. Mine was done shortly before I bought it. Rod bearings in the early 2000's were a larger issue than in 2001-2003. Stay away from 2000's M5. Mine was a 2001 and was great. Black-stone analysis is a great idea with these cars as it will warn you about the rod bearings before they become an issue. Vanos can sometimes be an issue as well. That's another one of those "fix it before it becomes an issue". Depending on miles, you may need a clutch, which are cheap. Labor is labor for that if you don't do it yourself. Again, you get what you pay for in terms of interior. These cars price depending on the interior/exterior color combo and condition. These seem to have higher price hikes depending on the color combo. For example, Alpine white was a rare exterior color, so any Alpine white on any interior color will be "worth" more than lets say jet black on black. There are also 2 packages, extended leather and standard. I'd go extended leather or you might as well buy a 540. Extended leather is nice, hand stitched leather dash and a bunch of other stuff. Really sets off the interior. Low mileage e39 M5's will bring a premium. Depending on condition these are going for $8-$45k. Check out Enthusiast Auto in Cincinnati for some of the best condition'd used bmw's ever. BUT YOU WILL PAY ENTHUSIAST AUTO PRICES. Which are retarded, but they have some of the best low milage e39's anywhere. But you are going to pay $30k+ for a 2001-2003 BMW lol.

E46 M3: Fun to drive in stock form. Comes in 6spd or smg. The SMG's need beat on every once in a while or the SMG pump will fail prematurely. SMG pump is a common maintenance item regardless. Same 2 buttons as the e39 M5. It's still a drivers car. Same thing about the coolant system. Rod bearings are a thing to keep an eye on. These only come in coupes. Have various trim levels and packages. You'll find these anywhere from $8-$25k. 

E46 ZHP: Fun to drive in stock form. Doesnt quite have all the umph of the e46 m3 but you can get this with 2 or 4 doors. They still look good. Come with various interior packages and exterior color combos. Coolant system. The gearing is good (like in most performance bmw's) so the lack of power when compared to the m3 isnt so noticeable. You'll find these from $7-$20k depending on miles and condition.

E60 M5: Probably the most expensive to own on the list. A lot of it has to do with the fact it a v10. More spark plugs to change, etc. Again, smg pump. Vanos. Cooling system. Has tcs off and on as well as sport mode. Comes in SMG or 6spd. Interior/exterior color combo's dont change the pricing as much as the e39's. You can find these anywhere from $10-$30k depending on miles and condition. The sound these make, make up for all the extra monies you spend/ spent, almost.

E90 M3: Fun to drive in stock form. Come in smg or 6spd. SMG pump. Cooling system. Sound it makes is fantastic. Gotta love German V8's. Color combo can sometimes come into play. Comes in various trim levels and packages. These have "held" value fairly well. You can find em for $12k-$30k depending on miles and condition.

Obviously I personally wouldn't buy any of these vehicles on the low end of the price range unless you are ok with putting some more money into the car to make it reliable for you. Pricing also depends on how much maintenance the vehicle has had recently and being able to track historical maintenance is always a bonus. 

Hate to see his not so quick run down :lol: 

• Haha 2

No one has mentioned a Porsche Boxter, or a Miata?

I know the Miata isn't german, but you can get a really really nice one for the money you'd spend on a marginal BMW.   With that said, I doubt the Miata interiors are much to brag about, unless you're talking about a very new model...

Buy a 2008 silver Corvette with a ls3 and 6 speed tranny. Located in Concord.  BMW is Nazis and Japanese cars are basically North Korean. Murrica!

• Beer 1

I have a line on a smoking deal on a higher mileage (150k) Audi A4 2.0T Quattro.

2 owners, clean carfax, full maintenance history, and I spoke the mechanic that serviced it for the last 70k.  The mileage is higher than I like, but it runs/shifts/drives like new :dunno:

58 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

I have a line on a smoking deal on a higher mileage (150k) Audi A4 2.0T Quattro.

2 owners, clean carfax, full maintenance history, and I spoke the mechanic that serviced it for the last 70k.  The mileage is higher than I like, but it runs/shifts/drives like new :dunno:

You'll sell that faster than anything you've owned. There's nothing fun about that car. Nothing. Unless you find a ditz girl that only cares about seeing 4 rings of chrome.

1 hour ago, redkow97 said:

No one has mentioned a Porsche Boxter, or a Miata?

I know the Miata isn't german, but you can get a really really nice one for the money you'd spend on a marginal BMW.   With that said, I doubt the Miata interiors are much to brag about, unless you're talking about a very new model...

I personally will never buy a Porsche without a turbo unless its the new Cayman-S. Or an old school air-cooled. (But the only ones of those I would be interested in are far out of my price range.)

Miata's are fun, if you have a man-gina. Really though, they are good bang for buck, but it never satisfied any of my itches. Severely under powered.

Edited by TimTheAzn