Helmet Purchase - Best Bang for Your Buck

DerekClouser

Buddy of mine is looking for a new lid.  He hasn't really stated a budget just that he wanted a new full face helmet (non modular) and was asking me if I recommended anything that was really good for the money.  

I figured I'd run this passed you guys and seeing if anyone had any good recommendations.  I saw @RidersDiscount had a nice deal on the red Shoei RF-1200 red/black for 379.99.  

Anyone know of a good helmet at a decent price that I should recommend to him?  II'm not sure of his head shape either, but he can test out a few.  Maybe a trip to Iron Pony to try on a bunch of helmets for him would be his best option and then pick the one he likes, but I'm also a bit curious of what everyone things.  understand that most helmets offer fairly similar crash protection and the pricier helmets offer weight reduction, sound reduction, airflow, durability etc.  

17 minutes ago, DerekClouser said:

Buddy of mine is looking for a new lid.  He hasn't really stated a budget just that he wanted a new full face helmet (non modular) and was asking me if I recommended anything that was really good for the money.  

I figured I'd run this passed you guys and seeing if anyone had any good recommendations.  I saw @RidersDiscount had a nice deal on the red Shoei RF-1200 red/black for 379.99.  

Anyone know of a good helmet at a decent price that I should recommend to him?  II'm not sure of his head shape either, but he can test out a few.  Maybe a trip to Iron Pony to try on a bunch of helmets for him would be his best option and then pick the one he likes, but I'm also a bit curious of what everyone things.  understand that most helmets offer fairly similar crash protection and the pricier helmets offer weight reduction, sound reduction, airflow, durability etc.  

The RF-1200 is hard to beat and at the $379.99 price point is a an easy pick for me. That said it's all about what fits well and feels good on his head to. We still have some of the Bell Race Star Carbon helmets at $349.97 as well. Plus we also have one of the very best options out there to most, the Arai Corsair X in certain graphics on closeout for $499. So many top tier helmets not normally in the category of a HJC RPHA for example. 

Edited by RidersDiscount
  • Upvote 1

If his head fits - that Shoei RF-1200 that's on sale.  Then tell him to save up for a transitions shield.  :D  I love mine.

He could go to a Cycle Gear if IP is too far depending on his location - I know they have a bunch of helmets in the N. Olmsted store.

34 minutes ago, RidersDiscount said:

So many top tier helmets not normally in the category of a HJC RPHA for example. 

When I bought my RF1200, I literally walked into the store door dead set on the RPHA10. While I don't regret the decision, the RPHA was a really comfortable helmet that fit me well. The inner liner was great too, very soft.

I’ve always been a fan of Scorpion helmets for bang for the buck. However Mike @RidersDiscount hooked me up with a screaming deal on the new HJC RPHA 70 ST and I’m loving it. Seems much quieter than it should since it moves a ton of air. Really nice liner and seems compact so no bobble head. Pinlock in the box, speaker cut outs and drop down sun shield. My first HJC and I’m very impressed with the quality so far. 

• Like 1

I can't recall what I paid for my RF1200 but I bought it at cycle specialties and it was cheaper than any online retailer offered it.  

the one great thing about shoei is, you can replace almost all the parts on/in the helmet.  you can buy a new liner every year if you sweat a lot.    they also have free helmet inspection if you are worried about it's integrity.

http://www.store.shoei-helmets.com/parts-by-helmet-model/road/rf-1200.html

Edited by serpentracer

The fabric in my Arai is way softer than my Shoei, but my Shoei is quieter. Both are great, was just getting my forehead rubbed raw from sweat in the Shoei.

I have purchased 3 HJC CL-17s though. Nothing fancy but they pass DOT, come in around 100-150 and have had 0 issues with them. Actually, I got one from RidersDiscount. 

I don't go without drop down tinted visors now. Speed and Strength and Torq last 2. I do mis the quick release (no strap flap) and thick rings are way easier to fidget Hwith than the thin gauge ones. I like scorpion features they don't fit me. Had an agv but there was so little breathing space I felt like i was suffocating.

Can you replace the styrofoam that's against the shell in any helmet? That's what absorbs hits. How does a 5 year old snell helmet measure against it's new self or a new $100 one?

HJC.  $100 for a Snell rated helmet?!  My first helmet was an HJC like this, not as comfortable as my Shoeis or Bells, but they are freakin cheap and do the job.   

https://www.ridersdiscount.com/hjc-fg-17-fg17-thrust-full-face-helmet-198819

https://www.ridersdiscount.com/hjc-cl-17-cl17-striker-full-face-motorcycle-helmet-231555

That being said, some idea on your buddy's budget would be helpful.  If he's going to spend $400 or so, look at those Star Carbons.  I've loved my last two and one took a nasty impact from a highside.  I bought it's replacement from Mike the following week.

Edited by jacobhawkins
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, motocat12 said:

I don't go without drop down tinted visors now. Speed and Strength and Torq last 2. I do mis the quick release (no strap flap) and thick rings are way easier to fidget Hwith than the thin gauge ones. I like scorpion features they don't fit me. Had an agv but there was so little breathing space I felt like i was suffocating.

Can you replace the styrofoam that's against the shell in any helmet? That's what absorbs hits. How does a 5 year old snell helmet measure against it's new self or a new $100 one?

no you can't replace the foam.  but shoei and arai warranty a helmet for 7 years of the build date.  5 from date of purchase.  a rep from arai told a magazine several years ago an arai can be used for 10 years without worry.  I would assume a shoei can too.  along with most high end helmets.   you know why the foam is painted black?  so you can tell if it's been used to absorb an impact.  

Edited by serpentracer
  • Like 1