New Rider

ridenour719

Hey guys, new rider here. The name is Steven. I just passed my motorcycle Ohio course and was sent here by my instructors. Just got a couple questions. Im looking to get my first motorcycle but im not sure how the buying process works, specifically in Ohio. Any advice on process and buying new vs used would be great. Really looking to get something like a ninja 300 or similar. Thanks guys!

Buying a bike is just like buying a car for the most part, EXCEPT that you most likely won't be able to test ride the bike before purchase.  Most dealers don't allow test rides.  Private party sellers won't allow it unless they have purchase cash in hand.

Make sure you have enough money set aside for decent gear - helmet, jacket, gloves, boots at minimum; riding jeans or pants too if possible.

Don't be afraid to ask questions - there's a lot to learn but there's a lot of good info here.  Many of the members are quite knowledgeable, heck some of them even know about riding motorcycles, but they can be savages at times (mostly when the weather sucks and can't ride).

Good luck in your search and welcome!

• Beer 1

Used, as you find bikes post them up here. We will give you advice. We may even be able to go look at them with you.

Watch the dealers for 'demo days' to get test rides. Check the manufacturer websites, they list upcoming demo days.

Whatever bike you buy, if you get hooked on riding you will replace it next year. Do not doubt that advice. So don't over spend, and understand you will flip it next spring.

Steven,

Congrats on taking the course as a great way to get started and welcome to the forum!

These posts have offered great advice (get some decent safety gear!) but you also asked about the buying process. By all means, start with a used bike. As a beginner you will probably drop it or let it tip over off the stand - your ego will suffer much less if the bike wasn't new. Also, most people will get their next bike pretty soon after starting, so you will lose less on reselling the already used bike. There are a lot of really clean, low mileage bikes offered for sale. Be wary of heavily customized bikes.

Next issue is whether to get the bike from a dealer or from a private party. The dealer will make it simple and will handle all the details except for the insurance. I suspect many could even help with that. If you buy from a dealer you can have a bit more confidence that the bike is in good shape. And the dealer (or at least the good ones) will have a bit more incentive to be helpful for anything that goes wrong. BUT, you will definitely pay a higher price at the dealer than you would for the same bike in a private sale. 

If you buy from a private party you will have to handle more of the details. I am in WV but the process is similar - I bought my bike in Ohio. There aren't too many steps. Early in the process you need to ask that the title is available. Ask to see it if possible. You can see if there was more than one previous owner. You also might learn that it is a salvage title, which means the bike was wrecked and the owner or a third party bought it from the insurance company and then repaired it. I would avoid that situation. It can be hard to see damage to the frame. Best to know that before you invest time in the negotiation. So, settle on a price. They will probably want cash but you might be able to use a bank check. 

Check this link for directions for the title transfer:

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/titles-used.aspx

It probably works best if you meet the seller at the local BMV. Remember to get new tags, though they will probably suggest that. You should make arrangements for insurance before you ride the bike. 

The Ninja 300 is a great starter bike. It's got some good features, decent ergos, and reasonable power. Best of all, there are a LOT of them around and usually are many on the market so the prices are reasonable, or can be GREAT if the seller really wants to unload it. Then if/when you sell it in a year or two you can get most or all of your purchase price back.

Good luck with the purchase.

Chris

Welcome to the fold! Congrats on passing the course as well. I'll echo what many have already said about buying a used bike versus a new one. Also, when it comes to gear, don't be too skimpy. It is YOUR body you're trying to protect. Remember that. Luckily we have an EXCELLENT forum sponsor in @RidersDiscount who can hook you up with some great prices and the BEST customer service around! Don't worry if you go on a group ride about your pace. Make it known that you're a newer rider and it may be your first ride with them. I'm sure that someone will take the time to keep you in their sight and offer helpful constructive criticism. DON'T TRY TO KEEP UP!! Ride your ride. They will always wait for you at the next turn. Good luck and enjoy!

• Beer 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/11/2018 at 9:28 PM, CrazySkullCrusher said:

Buddy of mine in Akron has a ninja 250 for sale. It's a very recent model and in damn good shape. Has an aftermarket pipe and sounds phenomenal. I can get details of you're interested. Just pm me.

Surprised you didn't try to push the bandit on him. :lol:

Congrats. 

I love my 300 and it can be more than just a starter bike. I have had mine for 5 years and I still love it. You might find leftovers at dealers for a great deal since the 400 is out now and they are no longer making the 300.