OMRL Round 1 this weekend

jacobhawkins

4 hours ago, Tonik said:

Holly crap @DerekClouser that is very well done video. Some serious great work man.

Thanks man... I hope everyone likes it.  

3 hours ago, what said:

More peeps come on out next time! @jacobhawkins and I won't be at the race on 5/5, but I think we will both be at the race on 5/19-20 at CRP. 

You can watch me lose again. 

Aint about winning or losing... it's about battling and improving.  From start of weekend to end of Sunday, you definitely showed great improvement and confidence

• Upvote 1

It's definitely got me hooked.  I will be there for a few races at least! After I get back from the wedding, I'll be scouring for XR100s. 

Edit: Will probably also force me to lose some weight and get back into shape which will be a good thing

Edited by DerekClouser
adding content
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, DerekClouser said:

Thanks man... I hope everyone likes it.  

Aint about winning or losing... it's about battling and improving.  From start of weekend to end of Sunday, you definitely showed great improvement and confidence

The crash on Lap 1 Saturday shook me up a bit, took me all of Saturday and most of Sunday to start trusting the tires/track surface. Should be good to go next time I'm out. I want to aim for a 1:00 lap time. That's shaving 5 seconds. Pretty sure I can do that by just maintaining corner speeds a bit better, I've still got lean angle, looking at your photos.

Thanks for coming down man, hope you take the leap. Casts after the wedding ceremony are acceptable, you'll even have a built-in carer beholden to your health and wellbeing to nurse you back to health :p 

(not that any time spent healing won't be held over your head in the direst terms later down the road)

4 minutes ago, ludwb675 said:

Whats all the low sides from? Dragging foot pegs/hard parts? 

I need to get into this but just don't have the time. Circleville is too far for a day trip. 

Looks like they have a round at Adkins and PIRC which are much closer.

I have been on the PIRC kart track with my sumo. Lots of fun. Would be better with others, the place was deserted. But $30 to run as much as you want from 8-12 on the weekend seems like a good deal to me.

Just now, CBBaron said:

Looks like they have a round at Adkins and PIRC which are much closer.

I have been on the PIRC kart track with my sumo. Lots of fun. Would be better with others, the place was deserted. But $30 to run as much as you want from 8-12 on the weekend seems like a good deal to me.

This past weekend, Saturday was $20.00 to run as much as you want from 12-5.  Can't beat that.

Just now, DerekClouser said:

This past weekend, Saturday was $20.00 to run as much as you want from 12-5.  Can't beat that.

Agree, Circleville is a better deal ... if you are close. 

I can ride to PIRC in just over an hour so that works out to a better value than a 3 hour freeway slog for me :D

3 hours ago, ludwb675 said:

Whats all the low sides from? Dragging foot pegs/hard parts? 

I need to get into this but just don't have the time. Circleville is too far for a day trip. 

Lowsides from too much lean angle and improper weight distribution I think.  I tucked the front in that one, probably not pushing hard enough with my inside hand and too much lean.  

17 hours ago, DerekClouser said:

Exactly, I want to be racing someone, in front,  middle, back, doesn't matter. Push to get faster and try things.  It's all about sucking just a little less next time.

I'll be racing at most of the OMRL events this year.  It is hard to beat OMRL in terms of grins / $.   Folks are very willing to help you however they can.  We race hard and are still friends when it is over.

My season should start by May 19th weekend.  Between being so sick this month and weekend work schedule, I've not been able to get my bike ready.  Still a lot to do on it, but this weekend is going to be dedicated to getting it prepped.

Might try to make it May 6th to spectate and get some more Intel though

1 minute ago, Helmutt said:

My season should start by May 19th weekend.  Between being so sick this month and weekend work schedule, I've not been able to get my bike ready.  Still a lot to do on it, but this weekend is going to be dedicated to getting it prepped.

Might try to make it May 6th to spectate and get some more Intel though

What are you racing?

10 hours ago, what said:

The crash on Lap 1 Saturday shook me up a bit, took me all of Saturday and most of Sunday to start trusting the tires/track surface.

Some of the seams ( especially those with grass growing out of them ) scare me when I'm on the edge of the tire.  Wife and I rode CRP CCW a day in late July last summer, and while the inside race line was fairly clean...most corners had foliage or soil in the seams off that inside line.  Is it any better earlier in the season?

12 minutes ago, DerekClouser said:

What are you racing?

Supermoto.  Mainly because I already own one, so it's cheaper to just prep it rather than buy another.  Depends....I may end up racing a mini at some point

Edited by Helmutt

40 minutes ago, Helmutt said:

Some of the seams ( especially those with grass growing out of them ) scare me when I'm on the edge of the tire.  Wife and I rode CRP CCW a day in late July last summer, and while the inside race line was fairly clean...most corners had foliage or soil in the seams off that inside line.  Is it any better earlier in the season?

No grass on the track now, but we had a fair bit of dirt and dust in the last corner before the checkered flag.  When they put the dirt track in it really screwed things up for that corner.  No drainage and everything runs off the banking onto the road course.  Usually there are some folks from the club with brooms and shovels and leaf blowers out there before practice to clean it up.

@Helmutt I didn't buy it from an OMRL racer, but it is an OMRL bike. Apparently it won a championship at some point. It won't be winning a championship with me on it, lol... at least not until I lose 200lbs. 

Fortunately the crash that shook me up was less to do with track conditions and more to do with my own stupidity. The track is grippy, especially in the afternoon when it warms up. Turn 10 (CCW) is a little iffy off the race line though because of the dirt track runoff. I would avoid running wide, and walking the corner before going out just to see how it is on whatever day you're there.