Aftermarket springs on cartridge forks, spacer length issues

Gixxus Christ!

Got a set of sonic springs for my bandit. They are a few inches shorter than stock. Came with pvc pipe to cut for spacers. Instructions say to cut spacers so they give 1/2" preload when installed, and to calculate this by putting them in the fork,  measuring down to top of spring, then subtracting length of top plug and adding 1/2". Thing is, they're cartridge forks and the springs are pre-loaded by the cartridge itself. 

Anyone have experience with this?

Second thought....instructions do make some sense. When it goes back together bolt in the cartridges...measure from bottom spring keeper to the top of the extended leg.....subtract the cap length.....add your 1/2” preload...cut your spacer....set fluid level and drop in spring and spacer. Then you should have to compress the spring 1/2” to get the top spring seat under the jam nut. Guess it’s no different than I’ve done on others just never had to measure. Spacers have been pre cut or measurements given by manufacturer. 

10 hours ago, Killer_kaw said:

Second thought....instructions do make some sense. When it goes back together bolt in the cartridges...measure from bottom spring keeper to the top of the extended leg.....subtract the cap length.....add your 1/2” preload...cut your spacer....set fluid level and drop in spring and spacer. Then you should have to compress the spring 1/2” to get the top spring seat under the jam nut. Guess it’s no different than I’ve done on others just never had to measure. Spacers have been pre cut or measurements given by manufacturer. 

I'll try that. Part of the problem is I am very unfamiliar with cartridge forks, I'm used to old damper rod style. Gotta wait for my seal driver to be delivered before I do this anyway.