Pocket knife obsession

Gixxus Christ!

So I've always liked knives, and over the past 8 years or so I have started collecting in earnest. Mostly practical pocket knives to be carried and abused, but lately I've been getting into higher end stuff, exotic steels, different handle materials..... ive built a few from kits, my latest is a damascus steel blade and bolster lockback with abalone handles (pic below). Very easy kit, the only real work was finishing the abalone scales. They came rough sawed, had to sand them down to 1500 grit, then polish to bring out the abalone through the acrylic. 

I'm also tending to look at more traditional patterns vs the modern pocket clip, liner or side lock quick open knives. Picked up a case stockman while I was in Pittsburgh in February,  and grabbed up a small buck lockback with rosewood handles and silver-nickel bolsters over the weekend. 

Currently looking at some bear and son damascus blade smooth bone handled folders. Damn expensive but oh so pretty, and their damascus is much higher quality than any other I've seen. 

20180328_190815.jpg

• Upvote 1

+1 for the Kershaw, I got a 1605CKTST speedsafe open for Christmas...by far the sharpest knife i have ever had out of the box and very durable. Perfect pocket size as well with clip.

I've been carrying my Spyderco Clipit Delica with half serrated blade for the last 20 years along with a small Victorinox Swiss Army Rambler (size of a Classic but with a bottle opener).  I've bought 3 different Kershaws in the last year because I'm fascinated with the spring assist opening but ended up giving them away because they were twice as thick and 3 times as heavy as my Spyderco.

I have 3 Kershaw knives.  Good quality for the price.  A pair of the mid sized Leek models with 2 different serration styles and then a larger Shallot with the Damascus blade.  I have unfortunately not done a great job of caring for the damascus blade and one of these days I am going to need to polish the thing to get the rust off and then redo the acid dip to get the layers to really stand out again.  It's the only drawback of everyday carry with a carbon bladed knife is making sure to keep it oiled.

IMG_20180408_031859910_HDR.jpg

7 hours ago, vf1000ride said:

I have 3 Kershaw knives.  Good quality for the price.  A pair of the mid sized Leek models with 2 different serration styles and then a larger Shallot with the Damascus blade.  I have unfortunately not done a great job of caring for the damascus blade and one of these days I am going to need to polish the thing to get the rust off and then redo the acid dip to get the layers to really stand out again.  It's the only drawback of everyday carry with a carbon bladed knife is making sure to keep it oiled.

Yeah, I've had to never dull my damascus blades in the past and my case knife already has a few spots on it. Drunk-ordered a few knives last night along with new fork tubes for my cb850....I need to start locking my wallet up when I hit the sauce. 

Guess I've got a few too. Nothing too expensive. More fixed than folding. Military bayonets and combat blades.  Some for fishing and hunting. Some stuff I'm working on making. Several hatchets and axes. (Walther axes are freakin' sharp.) My Father's WWII Ka-bar. Not going to abuse that one, it's about 75 years old. And a first run 1 of 200 official Walking Dead Michonne katana. White leather. Don't want to get it dirty.

My typical carry is a Swiss Army Recruit.

14 hours ago, vf1000ride said:

I have the on in the middle in blue, with a smooth blade.  Paid WAY too much for it, with the "Snap-on tax" and all.  I also have a practically new one like the top with smooth blade as a backup in the toolbox.  I would be lost without my knife clipped to my pocket!  (Top one and middle one are the same, except the Snap-on logo!)

I have a Kershaw leek with composite blade. Cutting edge is D2 tool steel (harder than a wedding prick) and the rest is sandvik stainless. Metals look to be brazed together  but could have been done differently. Great knife but absolute hell to sharpen due to the hardness of the blade. I also have a bunch of other kershaw blades and a few CRKT ones, some case, some buck, a few bear and sons, an opinel that belonged to my grandpa and various other knives. Right now they live in the top drawer of my bedside table with my carry pistols and spare mags, but there isn't much room left and I was considering buying a glass top display case to keep at least some of the nicer ones in.

2 hours ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

I have a Kershaw leek with composite blade. Cutting edge is D2 tool steel (harder than a wedding prick) and the rest is sandvik stainless. Metals look to be brazed together  but could have been done differently. Great knife but absolute hell to sharpen due to the hardness of the blade. I also have a bunch of other kershaw blades and a few CRKT ones, some case, some buck, a few bear and sons, an opinel that belonged to my grandpa and various other knives. Right now they live in the top drawer of my bedside table with my carry pistols and spare mags, but there isn't much room left and I was considering buying a glass top display case to keep at least some of the nicer ones in.

What are you using to sharpen?  I have a couple diamond files from Kershaw that are pretty badass on the regular Leek blades.  I've wondered about those composite blades, may look into getting one for my EDC.

8 hours ago, jporter12 said:

What are you using to sharpen?  I have a couple diamond files from Kershaw that are pretty badass on the regular Leek blades.  I've wondered about those composite blades, may look into getting one for my EDC.

Every week or so I'll run my edc over some crock sticks for upkeep, then maybe twice a year I'll get out the lansky and re-hone the edge. I should probably get some diamond hones for the lansky, that would make things much easier. 

On 4/9/2018 at 5:14 PM, jbot said:

just send it into benchmade, they sharpen their shit for free muthafuckaaaa

Turn around time mofooooohh...  LOL

I touch up the edge on my Kershaw quite often, as I need it to be sharp all the time, I use that bitch for work.  Mainly cutting open plastic bags that parts come in...  LOL