Need security system asap

jacobhawkins

Just now, TimTheAzn said:

Do they proctor standardized tests online/on a computer now? Or still scan-tron?

All on line, except for a few exceptions. Like an accommodation for a special needs child, or a really poor district that has no computers. But those exceptions are rare. That refers to the state tests, there are a boatload of other mandatory tests. Reading tests for incoming kids for example. English second language students. The ACT's are now mandatory for all children.  Except for the last month and a half of the school year there is mandatory testing going on every month somewhere in the district...often every day of the month. At the high school we have a week where only part of the kids come in each day....massive testing for them...then the next day another wave of kids come in. It's the only way we can get it done with minimal disruption.  We have a whole department now that is just in charge of figuring it all out and making it happen. It's nuts. I/we get that we need to measure the kids, and measure our own performance, but at some point you need to actually teach the children too.

• Upvote 3

As far as security I have always went with Tim’s idea of out of site out of mind. Kind of obvious I have something around the house though with the motocross track in the field though, so my backup plan is to have theft coverage on everything. I do live in the sticks as well, but we have our fair share of meth addicts. 

• Upvote 1

Mike said it somewhere.  I'll give a 2nd vote to simplisafe.  Just make sure that the base station that they give you has coverage.  My first one used T-mobile which is crap where I live.  They sent me a Verizon (I think) card as a replacement and it's been fine.

Piper nv. One time price and no monthly  fees of any kind, door sensors and stuff. Needs wifi, links to phone, and Can work thru a window. Detects loud sounds and linkable with multiple units.. 

41 minutes ago, Gump said:

Piper nv. One time price and no monthly  fees of any kind, door sensors and stuff. Needs wifi, links to phone, and Can work thru a window. Detects loud sounds and linkable with multiple units.. 

I've been considering Piper or Canary after my contract is up with Front Point... Can the noise sensors be disabled or omitted? I understand they're there in case someone breaks a window, but we like to party in this house and my stereo sets off those stupid glass break sensors, even when the system is disarmed... I had to raise hell with front point to get them to send me free motion detectors to replace the glass break ones.... I'd prefer to never fuck with them again, but I know these all in 1 units are different than my regular system. 

Just now, Steve Butters said:

I've been considering Piper or Canary after my contract is up with Front Point... Can the noise sensors be disabled or omitted? I understand they're there in case someone breaks a window, but we like to party in this house and my stereo sets off those stupid glass break sensors, even when the system is disarmed... I had to raise hell with front point to get them to send me free motion detectors to replace the glass break ones.... I'd prefer to never fuck with them again, but I know these all in 1 units are different than my regular system. 

Yes. The unit itself detects the loud noise. I don’t know if they have wireless noise detector. I have the door/window sensors. You can control 3 different modes. Call them what you want but you can set each one to record video with motion detect, detect loud sounds or not, if temp changes, and whatever wireless other sensors you have. then for each of those  you can set what to do when something happens. Record video, sound alarm, do nothing, text message, push notification, phone call, email, notify friend circle, and call, email, or text the friend. Supports smart arming word life 360. 

8 minutes ago, Steve Butters said:

Also... If your wifi goes down, does the system no longer work? What happens if your wifi dies while it's armed? 

It has Battery backup.sends you a lost power or connection notice.  it still functions with no WiFi, saves the trigger points but u can’t see what’s going on until u get WiFi back obviously. Battery lasts 4-6 hours. The only thing I don’t like is the motion pet detect sensitivity. It’s BS. Seems to just lessen the sensitivity(range) of the motion detector. 

48 minutes ago, Steve Butters said:

Also... If your wifi goes down, does the system no longer work? What happens if your wifi dies while it's armed? 

It has Battery backup.sends you a lost power or connection notice.  it still functions with no WiFi, saves the trigger points but u can’t see what’s going on until u get WiFi back obviously. Battery lasts 4-6 hours. The only thing I don’t like is the motion pet detect sensitivity. It’s BS. Seems to just lessen the sensitivity(range) of the motion detector. 

And when it notifies you, like by a text, it tells you what went off and where. Noise, motion, temp, xyz door opened, then if you care to look and it’s set to record video, you can look real quick at the recording. Or look at live video anytime. 

I put 4 of these up a year ago around my house https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zmodo-4-Pack-HD-Wireless-IP-Outdoor-IR-Video-Surveillance-Security-Camera-System/302691174055?hash=item4679ccc6a7:g:InQAAOSwE9haxI6K easy to set up and work great. It so nice being away from home and checking to make sure the garage door is shut or the wood stove is not over heating. Nice seeing who is in the driveway and I sure sleep a lot better knowing if someone is outside I will get a alert. If I was going to do it again I would get the recorder option. My phone keeps the motion alerts for 36 hours but once in a while it will miss something. 

1 hour ago, alansz400 said:

I put 4 of these up a year ago around my house https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zmodo-4-Pack-HD-Wireless-IP-Outdoor-IR-Video-Surveillance-Security-Camera-System/302691174055?hash=item4679ccc6a7:g:InQAAOSwE9haxI6K easy to set up and work great. It so nice being away from home and checking to make sure the garage door is shut or the wood stove is not over heating. Nice seeing who is in the driveway and I sure sleep a lot better knowing if someone is outside I will get a alert. If I was going to do it again I would get the recorder option. My phone keeps the motion alerts for 36 hours but once in a while it will miss something. 

This is interesting... $20/4? I'm tempted to buy two sets of them and stick them all over lol

3 hours ago, alansz400 said:

Yea I paid 25$+ EACH a year ago. Tempted to buy 4 more. Problem is the app only works with 4. Cheap enough just for dummy cameras at that price. 

So no other things to purchase to make these work on the app?

My experience is that some apps work well, and some don't. Some apps work with only a limited set of cameras. Most cameras come with apps, that generally work, unless the app was poorly written. (Cheap Chinese webcams.) I had to run two apps to get indoor and outdoor cameras running. And in both cases if wasn't the apps that came with the camera. No big deal. Although only one of the two apps would send alerts to my phone with pics or vids. The other would send only an alert. The best apps allow the user to bracket out part of the view for alerts and alarms. This is good both inside and outside if there is a lot of animals running around or road traffic in the view. It's also nice if you can remotely reach your computer or app to reset or change settings or even reboot. I set up mine to access from other computers as well as my phone. Set your security computer up to restart on it's own (some computers won't), and to also restart the security app at startup. Get a backup power supply to keep things running if the power goes out. All cameras should work well in the dark using infra-red. Some indoor webcams are useless pointing out a window, the dark and the bright light both can ruin the images.

Edited by ReconRat

14 hours ago, alansz400 said:

that very likely looks like a scammer

5 hours ago, motocat12 said:

that very likely looks like a scammer

Thought the same thing myself, little risk when using paypal though. I was going to watch to see if the feedback of the account changes any over a couple weeks or so.