Need security system asap

jacobhawkins

Someone tried to break into my building last night.  Katie heard some people talking last night but didn't see anything.  I woke up to tire tracks through my yard backing right up to my shop.  Can't have that.  Solutions?  Yes, I have mass amount of light back there.

@max power

Edited by jacobhawkins

14 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Do you prefer large or small caliber?

Always said a pump action 12 gauge would be the right choice.  But I gotta know they are there first...

Edited by jacobhawkins

40 minutes ago, jacobhawkins said:

Always said a pump action 12 gauge would be the right choice.  But I gotta know they are there first...

1 hour ago, jacobhawkins said:

Katie heard some people talking last night but didn't see anything.

^^^ Your wife said she heard people talking last night lol.

Frozen paint balls or those pepper spray paint balls would be entertaining. I'd have no hesitations about letting those fly if someone was snooping around my shit.

26 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Frozen paint balls or those pepper spray paint balls would be entertaining. I'd have no hesitations about letting those fly if someone was snooping around my shit.

I would not bring a paint ball gun to what could be a real gun fight.

• Upvote 3

I would recommend motion activated lights and some cheap camera system. You can also get one of those driveway motion detectors that sets off a chime in the house when someone crosses a certain threshold.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, max power said:

I would recommend motion activated lights and some cheap camera system. You can also get one of those driveway motion detectors that sets off a chime in the house when someone crosses a certain threshold.  

I've seen those nest things that link to my wifi and smartphone?  Thoughts on stuff like that?

I'm the culprit.  I was going to park over by your car on Easter to stay out of the way.  I about got stuck and forgot to tell you.

Regarding home defense, many experts will tell you a 20 gauge pump action shot loaded with 000 is the way to go.  Lethal, good spread, easy to aim, less recoil than a 12 gauge so repeated shots are easier.

Edited by ChrisHawkins
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, jacobhawkins said:

I've seen those nest things that link to my wifi and smartphone?  Thoughts on stuff like that?

A few years back I would've told you not to waste your money but that stuff has come along way in recent years.

A good security system isn't a terrible idea to cover your valuables when you're not around or with in cell phone range. The biggest argument for having a security system is that you can hook up your smoke alarms to it to call in a fire if you're not home. 

Be careful with the shotgun idea. Wouldn't want to fill your dad's ass full of buckshot!

Edited by max power
  • Haha 1

I was about to say... From the picture you put up of your barn weeks ago; looks like you have to go all the way down the drive, past the house to get to the barn.

For people to even know if anything was even in there; people either know you and your hobbies, or the barn doors are open all the time with your stuff right out in front to see from the street (which I doubt you do). 

So for someone to drive their vehicle up your driveway up to your barn in the hopes of finding something good in there I found a little strange (yes I realize there's nothing "strange" when it comes to crackhead behavior) but most thieves will do some kind of recon before bringing a vehicle to collect. Makes sense it was someone you knew.

All it takes is one or two of the local ghetto rats to know what he's got in there and it's all over but the Cryin.  

Lock your barn up like a fortress, cover the windows and if you do go with an alarm, make sure it has an extertal house speaker. They come in a stainless steel enclosure and are loud as hell. If someone trips your alarm you want to attract attention immediately. 

• Upvote 1

Lol...

Something similar happened when I was a kid. Grandparents showed up at 2am for their Christmas visit, a day early. My mom and stepdad heard someone "trying to pick the lock to get in," went downstairs and had the hunting rifle aimed right at their heads as they walked through the door. "Hi Granny and Grandad, Merry Christmas!" :eek:

Glad this was figured out and nobody got hurt or arrested! A security system of some sort that you can put on your house and in your shop isn't a bad plan regardless. 

Edited by what

For those interested in affordable security system (still a shotgun might be the best bet) I use and recommend Simplisafe. Not expensive but a great option compared to the normal options out there. They have come a long way as well updating and adding cameras and such recently. 

29 minutes ago, RidersDiscount said:

(still a shotgun might be the best bet)

How do you keep your shotgun in a ready to fire position while opening a door and turning on the lights as you enter a room?

:popcorn:

14 minutes ago, Tonik said:

How do you keep your shotgun in a ready to fire position while opening a door and turning on the lights as you enter a room?

You kick the door open like a man and then the muzzle will supply its own light source. Get with the program.

• Beer 1
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Tonik said:

I am man of many talents. 

Edited by RidersDiscount

2 hours ago, jacobhawkins said:

Best first post ever?  Thanks dad, glad it wasn't crackheads.  Just you and mom...  still getting a camera though. I'll be able to post your back yard mudding adventures for all to see next time!

I would appear your dad has been stalking you on OR.

42 minutes ago, Tonik said:

I made no claim to having spelling, grammar or any other talent.

Considering what week it is and how much testing is going on, I'm surprised you have time to troll OR. 

1 minute ago, what said:

Considering what week it is and how much testing is going on, I'm surprised you have time to troll OR. 

There is no testing during spring break. You need students to do testing. Dead as a door nail around here. That said, testing does not increase my workload. My shit is a well oiled machine. The education types will be going insane though.