What to expect on track day?

EazyE

Hello, new to the forum and in my 3rd year of riding and now itching to get on the track. After looking through the track section and the mid ohio site I got some good info but still have some questions that I couldn't find answers to or missed, so hoping someone could help me out. 

1) It appears that the rules for the novice group are a little more lenient as far as bike prep and gear. Why is that exactly? What separates it from intermediate and advanced? 

2) How long are you on the track at a time and how much down time is there?

3) Is there a spot for family to hang out or anything for kids? 

4) I have a truck and a motorcycle carrier. What other equipment is necessary or highly recommend? 

5) I know it says they will go on rain or shine but what about heavy storms or lightening? 

1) Novice is more controlled and speeds are lower than in I and A groups. Having less required prep is also a move to get more people out on the track who have never done a track day before. You follow a CR/coach in your assigned group - groups are determined by pace, slow to fast. There is no passing unless your coach initiates the pass on a straight.

2) Each group gets 20 minutes per session, in this rotation: Intermediate, Advanced, Novice. 20 minutes on-track, 40 minutes off track. 1 hour break for lunch for all groups (sometimes this is a bit shorter, but not often).

3) The pit area is open, the whole track is open to wander around. There are bleachers on corners, bridges to stand on and watch, etc. Bring your own chairs and a pop-up tent if you're not renting a garage ($50/day on top of track day fee). There's nothing specifically for kids to do that I have seen.

4) Chairs, cooler of snacks/drinks, something to provide shade, whatever tools you might need for your bike (other riders in the pit have tons of tools, I doubt anyone would mind lending something if you didn't have it). 

5) I don't think they offer any sort of compensation, regardless of weather conditions. Do not go to Mid-O if it is damp or wet. If it starts raining, think of all the fun times you had before the first drops of water hit the track, pack your stuff up and have a nice trip home. The track is great when it is warm and dry, but the sealant gets really slick when it is wet. That's the reason no pro organizations race bikes there anymore. I overheard this from one of the owners (Richard Varner) of MotoAmerica last year at Pittsburgh, "I'd love to do something at Mid Ohio, but with the track the way it is, until they fix the problem, we aren't going to consider it as an option."  Long story short, don't go if it's going to be raining or wet . If it isn't raining or wet, the track is wonderful. 

Edited by what

Welcome.

I recommend taking some extra tape if you tape your lights. NO K&N oil filters or other filters with a nut. Check your chain and tires before you go. Take gas with you. If you own leather wear them if you don't consider buying them...saved my skin.

Couple more questions.  How many spots are there usually per day? How does one advance past novice and how far out should one register? I know there is a late registration but I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to sign up before I saw the weather for that day and am worried that may be too late. 

depends on the track and the org putting it on as  there maybe more room on a bigger track for more riders per group... most tracks allow 30-45 per group . 

progression comes in 2 forms.. most of the time as you as a rider are doing well.. smooth, consistent good lines a coach in your group EG novice will notice this  and follow you.(you most of the time won't know this as you shouldn't ever be looking back)..  see what your doing then either pull in front and correct or adjust then see how you learn or just at the end of the session bring you in and talk about how things are going .. they may suggest a next group up bump at that point you move to the next group IF YOU ARE COMFORTABLE with it.. 

the second is , you feel you are progressing and feel you are ready , then you can ask a coach to evaluate you the same as the above will occur... the coach will tell you to ride your ride don't change anything and then watch you and see how you do...  at the end they'll pull you in then tell you what to fix and how first or move you up.  this happens will all advancements 

do not get discouraged if the coach says your not ready,  work on the points and  address again...  do not expect to advance a group on your first day! very very few do...  stay humble always open and learning and it will come . 

register as early or late as you feel comfortable...  most days  fill up quickly once you get to about 1-2 weeks away... With STT if you buy the membership ($55 a year) you can pay for any day you wish early then if 1-2 days out you don't like the weather you can  call in and get a FULL credit towards your next day! this only happens as a member its a perk, as well as breakdown day insurance and day discounts

Regarding the 3rd question, at MidOhio if you bring the family, there is lots of room to wander around.  The infield is open and grassy, trees, bridges, etc to keep people occupied.  The pits are fun, cool bikes to look at, friendly people, chill out and read a book in the stands over the garages.  It's mostly riders, but plenty of significant other and offspring hang around.

Tons of Daytonas at the track, bring yours.

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate all you guys help so far. Being new to all of this I am slowly making plans as to what steps I need to take when it comes to prep and gear like finally ordering a 1 piece and back protector (damn they are expensive).  I know not much is required for novice but I really want to go in as if im ready for intermediate at least so I can have the knowledge and experience so it wont be too overwhelming once I move up. As far as the bike goes, I plan on going with Engine Ice for coolant. I have seen bikes in intermediate (at least in videos) that just taped over their turn signals instead of removing them which I thought was required? Also, I see you can either use safety wire or silicone for the plugs and caps. I prefer not to drill anything, so is silicone as effective or more complicated?

Back to the actual day, is lunch only for riders or can guest participate?  I work 3rd shift and HATE getting up early.  If im correct twilight is only for intermediate and up? Is it any better or worse than the day session?       

30 minutes ago, EazyE said:

I appreciate all you guys help so far. Being new to all of this I am slowly making plans as to what steps I need to take when it comes to prep and gear like finally ordering a 1 piece and back protector (damn they are expensive).  I know not much is required for novice but I really want to go in as if im ready for intermediate at least so I can have the knowledge and experience so it wont be too overwhelming once I move up. As far as the bike goes, I plan on going with Engine Ice for coolant. I have seen bikes in intermediate (at least in videos) that just taped over their turn signals instead of removing them which I thought was required? Also, I see you can either use safety wire or silicone for the plugs and caps. I prefer not to drill anything, so is silicone as effective or more complicated?

Back to the actual day, is lunch only for riders or can guest participate?  I work 3rd shift and HATE getting up early.  If im correct twilight is only for intermediate and up? Is it any better or worse than the day session?       

Twilight is for I and A groups only. I have yet to go to one but I've heard that they get a little...heated. AFAIK engine ice is fine. If you see bikes in I group with lights still on, it's probably because it was the day they moved up from novice and didn't prep the bike for intermediate. 

The included lunch is for people with wristbands only, but you can buy lunch for anyone without a wristband.