Lets discuss oil filters...

Casper

Can't speak for all OEM filters but a few years ago Kawi switched the part number on the OEM filter for my bike. I just happen to have one of each on the shelf and i compared them. The weight of the new one was several ounces less and looking at the inside the bypass valve was plastic where the old one was metal. Once i used both of them I opened them up and noticed there was less filter media in the new ones and i appeared to be thinner. This is also when I noticed the old one said made in Japan on it and the new one said made in china. That is when I switched to the K&N then after the news of the leaks were out I switched to the WIX. Also good info to have is that the Napa Gold filters as well as the Orileys Microguards are just rebranded WIX filters and are the same. 

They used to be. I think the K&N now have a different country of origin than the hiflo and that's when the failures started happening.

A lot of the failures are related to the nut on the end of the filter of the k&n, the hiflo I have has no nut on the end. They do however make a race filter that has one on it. 

Edited by Jester_
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Jester_ said:

They used to be. I think the K&N now have a different country of origin than the hiflo and that's when the failures started happening.

A lot of the failures are related to the nut on the end of the filter of the k&n, the hiflo I have has no nut on the end. They do however make a race filter that has one on it. 

gotcha 

2 hours ago, 2talltim said:

Can't speak for all OEM filters but a few years ago Kawi switched the part number on the OEM filter for my bike. I just happen to have one of each on the shelf and i compared them. The weight of the new one was several ounces less and looking at the inside the bypass valve was plastic where the old one was metal. Once i used both of them I opened them up and noticed there was less filter media in the new ones and i appeared to be thinner. This is also when I noticed the old one said made in Japan on it and the new one said made in china. That is when I switched to the K&N then after the news of the leaks were out I switched to the WIX. Also good info to have is that the Napa Gold filters as well as the Orileys Microguards are just rebranded WIX filters and are the same. 

So you switched from OEM to K&N and now you think we should listen to your opinion of Wix?

I would try a Wix, if I ever see one. I have used Purolator One, but am inclined to stop that, since some of them run an extra finer filter element, which I believe causes the filter to go into bypass earlier. Not a problem if you change filters a lot. And I now see the info about Purolator auto filters not handling motorcycle flow and pressure rates correctly, oops. (plus the change to the sealing surface, that might not work anymore.) I use a lot of AC Delco, and did find a factory source of unmarked AC Delco motorcycle filters in either gloss black or chrome, purchased in six packs. And in general, I use the longer 3-1/2 filters. I've wondered about heavy NAPA filters, NAPA.filters are little armored tanks. Oh, and everything FRAM sucks, wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. And I don't use K&N, I don't need a filter with a nut welded on it.