What Jets do I order

Marine3313

I found a buddy that’s going to help me with the “Dave’s Carb Mod” after that what size jets should I order before we begin? I’m in Cols Ohio and 1140 above sea level. Should I just order the Dyno kit or FMF kit or should I just go to jets r us and order 2-3 from there? Thanks all so much help. Love it. Stay safe out there. 

Go to a forum that specializes in your bike and see what people are using. Note that a 140 mikuni jet isn't the same size as a 140 dynojet jet. There are charts online to help you with that.

Dynojet kits work fine but you pay $100 for $20 worth of parts. The other $80 is for the time they spent figuring out what range of jets will support what mods. I'm not familiar with the daves mod, but I suspect it's to correct the lean condition all factory carbs are set at to improve cold idle and warm up times. If you're just putting on a pipe, I'd personally start with one size up on main jets and maybe shim the needle, run it and see where it's at. Jets are cheap and since you only have 1 carb on an xr, it will be very cheap, but if you are going to just buy jets, hit a forum dedicated to your bike and soak up some more specialized advice.

• Upvote 1

The Dynojet kit is actually $60 at the Iron Pony and it is well worth the money spentif for nothing else than the needle alone. Change out the parts follow the directions bada bing youre running like a raped ape. 

Needle shape and length does make a big difference when you're trying to increase power and uncork the bike.

like I said before, read read read. Research the shit out of it and  the answers will become apparent as to which way to go. Asking a bunch of guys who have never wrenched on that particular bike is a start but it's definitely not an answer.  

Another route is to contact XRsonly.com.   Talk to Chris and he will tell you exactly what you need to do  to uncork that bike.  Also, Adventure rider has an entire section devoted to the XR 650. Go search your questions over there as they've all been answered on that forum

Edited by max power