Superbike School, Vegas, April 7-8

Casper

Just now, OSUYZFR1 said:

Doesn’t CSS use s1000rr’s? Only ridden one before and it wasn’t very confidence inspiring with the power coming on like a 2 stroke. Hopefully they are neutered down for the school

They do. They make everyone use them in rain mode until they determine what you can handle. 

1 hour ago, kbrok said:

Should of spoke up if you felt that you were not comfortable with what was happening

And say what? That they need to stop allowing passing for everyone because I wasn’t comfortable? 

4 hours ago, Casper said:

And say what? That they need to stop allowing passing for everyone because I wasn’t comfortable? 

sucks you didn't have as good a time as possible.  hopefully you still had fun.

not sure what org it was with, but they're all a little different... that said, what's generally not different is that if you grab an instructor, they or one of their colleagues are typically happy to tag along with you or tow you around for a few laps per session.  this usually makes passing and being passed a little smoother.  generally.  Not sure if this was something you had tried on your last excursion, but i think it's worth a try on your next event, regardless.

48 minutes ago, jbot said:

sucks you didn't have as good a time as possible.  hopefully you still had fun.

not sure what org it was with, but they're all a little different... that said, what's generally not different is that if you grab an instructor, they or one of their colleagues are typically happy to tag along with you or tow you around for a few laps per session.  this usually makes passing and being passed a little smoother.  generally.  Not sure if this was something you had tried on your last excursion, but i think it's worth a try on your next event, regardless.

I definitely had fun. Just wasn’t comfortable at the end. I want more instruction and learning. 

6 hours ago, Casper said:

I definitely had fun. Just wasn’t comfortable at the end. I want more instruction and learning. 

I suggest finding a coach that understands what you are trying to do. That said, there are only so many CR's out in any given session and they have a lot of cats to corral. Usually they'll stick around for a few laps and then have to move on to keep people from hurting themselves. Keep in mind, the guy next to you paid the same amount as you did for the track day so the CR's gotta spread the love.

If you want pretty much all day almost 1 on 1 coaching, try giving N2's ATP class a try. There are classroom sessions in between on-track sessions and they all wear shirts designating that they are in the class. Low student to instructor ratio. I believe they go out in Novice or Intermediate. I think novice. But you will still get passed as N2's novice is pretty much completely open. Part of the experience is learning how to and deal with getting passed. Now if people made some bone-headed passes on you like coming up the inside, that's a different story as that never should've happened in N.

• Upvote 1

Ben, I just realized that you are doing the 2 day camp. Those are suppose to be a blast. Just an FYI for you, the regular school only has a 3:1 student to coach ratio. Granted the camp gets a little more in depth on some of the drill bikes and video.

4 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

I suggest finding a coach that understands what you are trying to do. That said, there are only so many CR's out in any given session and they have a lot of cats to corral. Usually they'll stick around for a few laps and then have to move on to keep people from hurting themselves. Keep in mind, the guy next to you paid the same amount as you did for the track day so the CR's gotta spread the love.

If you want pretty much all day almost 1 on 1 coaching, try giving N2's ATP class a try. There are classroom sessions in between on-track sessions and they all wear shirts designating that they are in the class. Low student to instructor ratio. I believe they go out in Novice or Intermediate. I think novice. But you will still get passed as N2's novice is pretty much completely open. Part of the experience is learning how to and deal with getting passed. Now if people made some bone-headed passes on you like coming up the inside, that's a different story as that never should've happened in N.

On the inside and pretty sure closer than the 5ft rule or whatever. Happened twice, and I decided to end my day early. I'm sure it would've been fine if I'd experienced it before, but it was my very first time. It was probably more surprise for me than anything else. Definitely don't hold a grudge against the track day organizer. Just not my cup of tea yet until I'm more acquainted with track days and such. I'm just doing this to learn to be a better rider. 

3 hours ago, blue03636 said:

Ben, I just realized that you are doing the 2 day camp. Those are suppose to be a blast. Just an FYI for you, the regular school only has a 3:1 student to coach ratio. Granted the camp gets a little more in depth on some of the drill bikes and video.

Yeah, I'm planning on doing the 2-day camp. It seems like the best bang for the buck for the low coach:student ratio (2:1), using their bike/tires/gas, etc. The lean bike I think will really help me get over some anxiety around leaning too far. 

https://superbikeschool.com/the-curriculum/two-day-camps/

11 minutes ago, Casper said:

The lean bike I think will really help me get over some anxiety around leaning too far. 

Don't start having lean anxiety until you are dragging a peg. ;p

Edited by what

44 minutes ago, blue03636 said:

The lean bike is crazy to ride. It's something I definitely won't forget.

Did you drift that sucker around like a pro?

@Casper Who the hell were you riding with that let someone come up the inside of you twice during a novice trackday? Edit: Were you already tipped in?

Edited by TimTheAzn

1 hour ago, what said:

Don't start having lean anxiety until you are dragging a peg. ;p

I have. On the Vee nonetheless. :lol: But on sport bikes I'm just not 100% comfortable. Hence wanting to do the classes. 

55 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Did you drift that sucker around like a pro?

@Casper Who the hell were you riding with that let someone come up the inside of you twice during a novice trackday? Edit: Were you already tipped in?

It was one rider in particular who kept talking about how he should be in intermediate. Both times were in the same corner, same rider. Tight left turn that went uphill. I was trying to find a line I was comfortable with. Both times I was in the process of leaning in. Not a big deal honestly. Just made me very uncomfortable so I removed myself from the situation. 

1 hour ago, blue03636 said:

No, it's in a parking lot and they yell if you go to fast or do dumb shit. :lol:

Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. I'd want to go in circles until I felt the warning signs of a slide.

50 minutes ago, Casper said:

I have. On the Vee nonetheless. :lol: But on sport bikes I'm just not 100% comfortable. Hence wanting to do the classes. 

It was one rider in particular who kept talking about how he should be in intermediate. Both times were in the same corner, same rider. Tight left turn that went uphill. I was trying to find a line I was comfortable with. Both times I was in the process of leaning in. Not a big deal honestly. Just made me very uncomfortable so I removed myself from the situation. 

He should've been pulled off track by a CR the first time and reminded of the rules, the second time she should've been pulled off track for the session, and reminded of the passing rules. If it happened a third time he should've been pulled for the day imo. Its not hard to follow the rules. Those rules are in place to prevent EXACTLY what you felt/ experienced. You should have kept riding while he got booted imo. If he was fast enough to get bumped to I from novice, then going around the outside or out-driving someone out of a corner to make a pass should be no problem, you shouldn't have to stuff someone into a corner. You obviously knew who it was, why didn't you approach a CR or the event organizer and told them about the situation?

FWIW, if you haven't actually tipped into the corner, its usually fair game. But if you had already set a line and tipped in and he came up underneath you, thats definitely a no-no.

Edited by TimTheAzn

34 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. I'd want to go in circles until I felt the warning signs of a slide.

He should've been pulled off track by a CR the first time and reminded of the rules, the second time she should've been pulled off track for the session, and reminded of the passing rules. If it happened a third time he should've been pulled for the day imo. Its not hard to follow the rules. Those rules are in place to prevent EXACTLY what you felt/ experienced. You should have kept riding while he got booted imo. If he was fast enough to get bumped to I from novice, then going around the outside or out-driving someone out of a corner to make a pass should be no problem, you shouldn't have to stuff someone into a corner. You obviously knew who it was, why didn't you approach a CR or the event organizer and told them about the situation?

FWIW, if you haven't actually tipped into the corner, its usually fair game. But if you had already set a line and tipped in and he came up underneath you, thats definitely a no-no.

It was my first track day and I wasn't concerned with getting someone in trouble because it made me nervous. 

I've always kind of wanted to try one of these schools just because it seems so much more instructional than a local track day.  Maybe one day...

How many people participate in a typical weekend class?  I'm guessing it's a smaller group than the average run of the mill track day?  

12 minutes ago, tall_tracy said:

I've always kind of wanted to try one of these schools just because it seems so much more instructional than a local track day.  Maybe one day...

How many people participate in a typical weekend class?  I'm guessing it's a smaller group than the average run of the mill track day?  

100% smaller than a normal track day. I think craig said 3 to 1 student to teacher ratio. Normal track day is like 10 to 1 on a good weekend. :lol:

1 minute ago, TimTheAzn said:

100% smaller than a normal track day. I think craig said 3 to 1 student to teacher ratio. Normal track day is like 10 to 1 on a good weekend. :lol:

I guess private track days are where it's at then.  I had my own instructor the entire day when I did mine last September.  

35 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

3:1 is for the day class. 2-day class is 2:1. 

• Upvote 1

if you can afford a private tutoring / coaching at a dedicated school such as CSS or YCRS then do it!  FYI... Sportbike Track time  in Novice  is dedicated to getting the  smallest coach to student ratio available in a commercial track day org... our goal is no more than 5:1 with many days being closer to 3:1 , in intermediate the  ratio is 8:1  though individual coaching is available in groups  as staffing allows!

• Upvote 2