Need Help Working On XR650L Columbus Oh

Marine3313

Hello all well it’s almost time to get my Pig out. I just bought fmf powerbomb headers and the fmf q4 muffler. I need help with jetting and doing Dave’s carb mod. I live in Columbus oh and will pay for some help. Thanks all. 

I just bought the Dynojet kit and followed the instructions for the most part.  Watch lots of vids and read all the info you can google on the combo you want to install, which it sounds like you have and take the carb off and install the kit you settle on.  If you have some basic tools and can follow basic instructions it's really easy.  

I pulled mine off and broke it down, soaked it in pine-sol overnight rinsed and let dry and replaced all the rubber, gaskets and fuel screw.  Then installed the larger main jet called for in the instructions for my specific situation (fattening up lean condition with stock exhaust) and new adjustable needle set on the groove called for in the instructions.  I installed the carb and new plugs (DR takes 2 even though it's a thumper) and rode it around the block (about 3 miles) under warmed up conditions, pulled the plug and read it showing it to be a touch lean.  I adjusted the air screw and rode/checked plugs again until good enough.

Be happy to answer questions, but I'm always up to my ears in projects.  

Out of curiosity, why are you changing pipes?  Have you tried just desmogging yet?  Looking at getting one of those and haven't researched them much.  They have a pretty high power/weight ratio stock. 

Well I like the looks and the sound of the after market pipes and headers. I have desmogged it. But now with new pipes people telling me need to do Dave’s carb and new jets. I can do car brakes and a tune up I just don’t feel comfortable tearing down bike and messing with carb. Plus don’t have a lot of knowledge of how to. Just wanna ride and hope I can meet new people and they can rub their knowledge of stuff off on me. Just rode as a kid xr100 and kx80s. Now I’m in 40s and got the itch again. Got it used and it had Big tank on it and that’s it. Thanks for your reply guys. 

So what exactly is the Dave's carb mod?

if you can tune up a car you can do this. They are much easier to work on being a single cylinder and simple carb.

Would love to help you but I live clear down by Stoutsville I don't know when I would have time to get to it.  I'm sure you would like to ride it before the season is over.  lol 

Carburetor tuning is really pretty easy as long as you do your homework and learn how everything works.  

I know but hell I can’t even get the headers to seal right and I have a leak where the muffler and pipe meet. I just did half as but still. Just frustrating. I about to look up stoutsville and take a road trip. Lol. 

I wouldn't run the pipe without installing a fatter jet first.  They are very lean from the factory and just slapping a pipe and air cleaner on will lean it out even more possibly causing valve problems.  

There is tons of info out there for XRs and different jetting/pipe scenarios.  Learn up on it and decide your best course of action or take it to a reputable shop and say fix it.  I'm trying to get my hands on an XR and if I do I might be able to help you out after I get it sorted, but I don't think you want your bike to be my guinea pig and it's looking like it's gonna be a while before I get that bike.