Newbie Rider looking for Riding Partners

NewbieBaby71

19 minutes ago, Qman said:

Could be good, might be too much too soon!  Certainly not the easiest bike to ride slowly!

I was being just a tiny bit sarcastic.  This feels like a troll post to tell you the truth.  

• Beer 1

50 minutes ago, Wojo72 said:

I was being just a tiny bit sarcastic.  This feels like a troll post to tell you the truth.  

Yeah, the gsxr and similar race rep bikes are absolutely the last bike I'd suggest for a beginner street rider. Well, perhaps I'd also not recommend the chopper/cruiser scrap heaps like the HD 883 Sportster and similar knockoffs 

Edited by Qman

8 hours ago, NewbieBaby71 said:

I am very careful, fully aware of the dangers and my newbie non skills lol

Hi 

The classic saying on being a new rider--- You get a full bucket of luck and an empty bucket for skill. When you start out, you are mostly using up the luck bucket. Your job is to fill up the skill bucket before the luck bucket runs out. 

Best wishes and welcome to riding. - Practice as much as you can, and as been mentioned, find a more experienced buddy to ride with and ask lots of questions.. 

Edited by mello dude
  • Upvote 1

I have never understood the fear of the freeway for new riders, and to be clear I went through the same thing. Pretty much everyone does. On the street it's the safest and easiest place to ride. No lights, no one turning left in front of you..no one darting in from side streets. Traffic just moves along and is much more predictable.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

I have never understood the fear of the freeway for new riders, and to be clear I went through the same thing. Pretty much everyone does. On the street it's the safest and easiest place to ride. No lights, no one turning left in front of you..no one darting in from side streets. Traffic just moves along and is much more predictable.

I think it's an innate dislike more than a fear. The future you's hate for slabbing becomes so strong it affects all you's throughout all time. I'm assuming this happens to everyone, except people riding Harleys. They have never made it as far as the freeway so they don't know how bad it is. Ignorance is bliss. 

58 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Logically the freeway is safer than most other types of riding, but emotionally you are moving at very high speeds with no protection where it seems a small mistake could send you tumbling. I'm still not as comfortable on the highways, but that is mostly because of my bike. The GSXR is still going slow at 75. 

Speaking of GSXR, that is not an easy bike to learn on safely. A 650 or less twin will have a riding position that makes it much easier to ride, especially in slow speed maneuvers. Take it easy and be extra cautious.

2 hours ago, CBBaron said:

Speaking of GSXR, that is not an easy bike to learn on safely. A 650 or less twin will have a riding position that makes it much easier to ride, especially in slow speed maneuvers. 

Probably the main reasons the GSXR is not so easy at slow speed maneuvers is the low rake angle and short wheel base.  That and the power curve tuned for hi rpms.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...