Newbie Rider looking for Riding Partners

NewbieBaby71

Welcome to the site and to riding. There are some nice roads just over the river in N.Ky..

Saturday mornings starting around 8AM there is a nice gathering of folks, both of the 2 and 4 wheeled variety, at Fuel Coffee in Cincinnati.

Edited by modular

Thank you, that sounds great Modular, but first i need to get to the point of riding on Freeways?  I haven't gotten that far yet.  I am that new :D  As soon as this weather is good I will be back at practicing...  But that sounds like fun, I feel more comfortable riding with someone or someones....

2 hours ago, NewbieBaby71 said:

Thank you, that sounds great Modular, but first i need to get to the point of riding on Freeways?  I haven't gotten that far yet.  I am that new :D  As soon as this weather is good I will be back at practicing...  But that sounds like fun, I feel more comfortable riding with someone or someones....

Don't be afraid to ask questions! There are literally hundreds of years of riding experience throughout the members on this board.

Highway is/was always less stressful for me than city streets. Yes the speeds are higher, but the chances of some soccer mom pulling out in front of you are lower for example since there are no side streets.

Welcome!!  

I know how you feel, it took me a while (maybe a season and a half) before I got on the highway, but I live next to a 4 lane (in each direction) highway that can be confused with Talladega on occasion.  My advise is when you feel ready, find a friend to go with you and try it out when it's not rush hour or congested with traffic. 

City riding?  Freeway riding? I don't even know you people anymore.  :nono:

:lol:

Welcome @NewbieBaby71 lots of great folks here don't be shy and get to know them. Lots of great info to be found.  And hit up or sponser @RidersDiscount for the best deals on riding gear.

• Beer 1
  • Haha 1

Welcome to the forum.  

Being such a new rider, I'd recommend avoiding the larger group rides that was recommended earlier. until you've become much more familiar with riding.  There's so much more that goes on in those rides that a newer rider doesn't need to be dealing with.  Focus on riding solo or with one or two other experienced riders who won't force you to ride over your head.  

Too many times I see newer riders try and ride in larger groups and something bad happens because of the entirety of what is happening at once and the also added risk of more experienced riders pulling a newer rider to riding over their head.  

Look forward to riding with you some day. 

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Don't be afraid to ask questions! There are literally hundreds of years of riding experience throughout the members on this board.

Highway is/was always less stressful for me than city streets. Yes the speeds are higher, but the chances of some soccer mom pulling out in front of you are lower for example since there are no side streets.

I would have to agree, I have been on a long country road where I broke 60 miles and it was less stressful.  I am excited to have found this website and look forward to this season!  Thank you.

2 hours ago, jacobhawkins said:

Welcome, have you taken the state class yet?

Yes, I took the initial to earn my endorsement but now that you mention I remember they stated there are also state classes for after you earn your license and you can take your own bike to.  Thank you!

26 minutes ago, Qman said:

Welcome!  

I would advise the 'state class' as mentioned above.  I assume he means this:

http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/basic_rider.stm

A great place to start, although you won't get above 30 MPH during the class!  :-)

Thank you Qman, I will do that.  I know they have classes once you have your license to ride to take classes with your bike.

1 hour ago, DerekClouser said:

Welcome to the forum.  

Being such a new rider, I'd recommend avoiding the larger group rides that was recommended earlier. until you've become much more familiar with riding.  There's so much more that goes on in those rides that a newer rider doesn't need to be dealing with.  Focus on riding solo or with one or two other experienced riders who won't force you to ride over your head.  

Too many times I see newer riders try and ride in larger groups and something bad happens because of the entirety of what is happening at once and the also added risk of more experienced riders pulling a newer rider to riding over their head.  

Look forward to riding with you some day. 

Thank you Derek, I will keep that in mind, makes sense!

3 hours ago, tall_tracy said:

Welcome!!  

I know how you feel, it took me a while (maybe a season and a half) before I got on the highway, but I live next to a 4 lane (in each direction) highway that can be confused with Talladega on occasion.  My advise is when you feel ready, find a friend to go with you and try it out when it's not rush hour or congested with traffic. 

Thank you Tracy, I definitely would want a friend with me!  I find it better to ride with someone.

Just now, NewbieBaby71 said:

Thank you Qman, I will do that.  I know they have classes once you have your license to ride to take classes with your bike.

They have the "advanced course"  where you can take your own bike... http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/advanced_rider.stm

But they are few and far between. 

Once you get a few more miles under your belt, the best place to learn is to take a beginner instructional track day!    Seriously.

1 minute ago, Qman said:

They have the "advanced course"  where you can take your own bike... http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/advanced_rider.stm

But they are few and far between. 

Once you get a few more miles under your belt, the best place to learn is to take a beginner instructional track day!    Seriously.

I agree, I was wanting to do the track day as well.  Am I replying correctly to these post?  I am new to this website.

2 hours ago, 2talltim said:

City riding?  Freeway riding? I don't even know you people anymore.  :nono:

:lol:

Welcome @NewbieBaby71 lots of great folks here don't be shy and get to know them. Lots of great info to be found.  And hit up or sponser @RidersDiscount for the best deals on riding gear.

Thank you!

10 hours ago, modular said:

Welcome to the site and to riding. There are some nice roads just over the river in N.Ky..

Saturday mornings starting around 8AM there is a nice gathering of folks, both of the 2 and 4 wheeled variety, at Fuel Coffee in Cincinnati.

Thank you Modular I hope to join some day!