Ford Flex Vista Roof - Cracked

Tpoppa

I have a Ford Flex with the panoramic Vista roof.  I wasn't sure I wanted that roof when I bought it, but Ford advertised that they were basically unbreakable.  Guess what...it cracked. 

I'm not sure if a rock hit it or maybe it's a stress crack, but the replacement estimate is about $2,000 :mad:  I'm going handle it through as insurance claim, but still. 

PSA:  think twice before buying a vehicle with a glass roof.  At least do a google search for them breaking on that specific vehicle.  They look nice, but... 

OEM windshield for my grand cherokee was $750+ for just the windshield plus install. I would have to pay for all of it if i wanted OEM. Needless to say i want aftermarket and insurance paid for all of it. $0 deductible. 

On 3/1/2018 at 3:50 PM, ludwb675 said:

OEM windshield for my grand cherokee was $750+ for just the windshield plus install. I would have to pay for all of it if i wanted OEM. Needless to say i want aftermarket and insurance paid for all of it. $0 deductible. 

harmon auto glass replaced my truck windshield for $225.  ryans glass replaced my brothers pass door  window in his car for $150.   seems like these places you guys call are way over priced.  

On 3/1/2018 at 5:45 PM, JustinNck1 said:

Lane departure camera behind the windshield means the windshield had to be laser calibrated when installed.

that's code for we are raping you and making excuses.  because that is 100% bullshit. you really think these guys have laser alignment systems in their vans? lol.  not a fucking chance.  they make min wage doing windows. 

Edited by serpentracer

58 minutes ago, serpentracer said:

that's code for we are raping you and making excuses.  because that is 100% bullshit. you really think these guys have laser alignment systems in their vans? lol.  not a fucking chance.  they make min wage doing windows. 

Hmmm. As someone who literally watched them setup the machine, I know what the hell I am talking about. They don't do on site installation on vehicles that require this. Also, as someone who knows window installers, they clearly make more then minimum wage. But keep thinking whatever you want... :rolleyes:

Edited by JustinNck1

11 hours ago, JustinNck1 said:

Hmmm. As someone who literally watched them setup the machine, I know what the hell I am talking about. They don't do on site installation on vehicles that require this. Also, as someone who knows window installers, they clearly make more then minimum wage. But keep thinking whatever you want... :rolleyes:

Trust me, you DO NOT know more about windows tha i do. Wink...

Most glass shops pay between 12 and 18/hr.  Which is min wage in most places.  I make over 20 but i have a good boss that pays good installers a better wage.  Those guys you see working for places like safe lite make 12 on average

20180304_210058.jpg

Edited by serpentracer

14 hours ago, serpentracer said:

Trust me, you DO NOT know more about windows tha i do. Wink...

Most glass shops pay between 12 and 18/hr.  Which is min wage in most places.  I make over 20 but i have a good boss that pays good installers a better wage.  Those guys you see working for places like safe lite make 12 on average

20180304_210058.jpg

Are you retarded???

• Haha 1

On 3/4/2018 at 8:22 AM, serpentracer said:

You really are an idiot. When I worked for BMW safelite would replace the glass then it was up to us to recalibrate any windshield sensors and heads up display. Just hooking up to diagnostic software was 1 hour labor. $120 per hour 7 years ago. Plus whatever book time stated for hooking up the alignment mechanism for the HUD which was usually another hour and then wiper calibration was usually included with the 1 hour diagnostic time. So basically you had 2 hours in tech labor to revalibry anything. Plus the cost of the glass and safelites labor. Not to mention the “special” adhesives and if any trim broke being the mid west with extensive heating and cooling cycles. It was almost always quotes whenever the vehicle was outside of 5 years / 60,000 mike warranty. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/5/2018 at 11:50 AM, zx3vfr said:

Who was right about the pay?

https://www.google.com/search?q=safelite+installer+salary&oq=safelite+installer&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l2.16481j0j4&client=ms-android-att-aio-us&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Yep thats over 20 lol.  You guys got screwwwwwd.  That glass is about $100 from the manufacture.  And they paid the installer about $20 to install it.

Edited by serpentracer

5 hours ago, serpentracer said:

Who was right about the pay?

https://www.google.com/search?q=safelite+installer+salary&oq=safelite+installer&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l2.16481j0j4&client=ms-android-att-aio-us&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Yep thats over 20 lol.  You guys got screwwwwwd.  That glass is about $100 from the manufacture.  And they paid the installer about $20 to install it.

Do you have any idea how businesses work?

while the installer may have been paid $20 to install it. You still have all the business overhead. 

Edited by zx3vfr