Roadapple Roubaix 2018 (3/3/18)

redkow97

this was the first organized ride I did in 2017, and will be the first I do in 2018.  I just registered for the 40 mile route, which I'm told is pretty much identical to last year, except that the 15 miles that differentiate the 25 miler from the 40 miler will be run in the opposing direction.

This was also one of the first rides i tracked with Strava, so I'm curious to see how this year's times compare.  My moving time last year was just over 3.5 hours for a 12 mph average speed. That's MOVING time, so my bathroom and food break didn't count.  I'd like to keep my moving time to under 3 hours, if possible, which will mean 14 mph average.

We'll see what happens. 

I'll still be riding the fat tire bike, and I'm sure it will be a field of mostly gravel and CX bikes, with some XC mountain bikes intermixed.   The only meaningful changes to the bike since last year are a rear fender, and SPD pedals.

The high is 37, but it's supposed to be sunny.  I'm optimistic.

Ride starts at 10:00 in Garrettsville.  I would advise arriving early to ensure ease of parking.  See anyone there?

On 2/27/2018 at 6:15 AM, redkow97 said:

this was the first organized ride I did in 2017, and will be the first I do in 2018.  I just registered for the 40 mile route, which I'm told is pretty much identical to last year, except that the 15 miles that differentiate the 25 miler from the 40 miler will be run in the opposing direction.

This was also one of the first rides i tracked with Strava, so I'm curious to see how this year's times compare.  My moving time last year was just over 3.5 hours for a 12 mph average speed. That's MOVING time, so my bathroom and food break didn't count.  I'd like to keep my moving time to under 3 hours, if possible, which will mean 14 mph average.

We'll see what happens. 

I'll still be riding the fat tire bike, and I'm sure it will be a field of mostly gravel and CX bikes, with some XC mountain bikes intermixed.   The only meaningful changes to the bike since last year are a rear fender, and SPD pedals.

The high is 37, but it's supposed to be sunny.  I'm optimistic.

Ride starts at 10:00 in Garrettsville.  I would advise arriving early to ensure ease of parking.  See anyone there?

I'm out of town this year and wont make it. The conditions should make for a faster ride. My small chain ring became a block of ice before Middlefield last winter. :D

Good luck and have fun.

Cold, but not too bad. Pretty dry until the double track the last 4 miles. 

My oacing wasn’t good. I went too fast for the first 25 miles and paid for it the final 15. I may also be getting a cold (sore throat), so that couldn’t have helped. 

My left crank came loose around mile 30. Really surprised i had the Allen wrench to tighten it. Must be the same size as the front axle. 

3:17 and 41.5+ miles.  Other people on strava who rode the same route were getting as high as 43.8

12.8(ish) mph is slower than i was hoping, but i didn’t bother with any of the rest stations, and i went faster in every segment on strava. 

Tired and sore now. 

Side note: rear fender was clutch. 

I need neoprene shoe covers. My toes were numb. I guess throwing a hand warmer btwn the cover and the shoe is very effective. 

Tye rest of me was warm. My hands were sweaty when i stopped to investigate my loose crank (i assumed my cleat was loose, not the crank)

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just registered. Not sure how i will handle the distance. I can’t track mileage on the spin bike, but i don’t stay on it for much more than an hour, so MAYBE 20 miles at a time. My longest 2019 outdoor ride has been 13.6(?), and that felt good, but not as easy as it should have. 

Target time for the 40 miler is 2.5 hours, but “under 3” is probably more realistic. 

Hoping to ride this Sunday. 37, but sunny. I need a good 30 mile reminder of how 40 is going to feel.

• 4 weeks later...

Well i guess i know myself better than i thought. I’m pretty beat, and finished in 2:58. Hard to be disappointed knowing that it’s 18 minutes faster than last year, and my first real ride on my CX/gravel bike. 

Fun time. 

• Upvote 1