Are you ready to give up your 2nd amendment rights

HeavyDuty

I hear a lot of stats about Canada, UK and Australia. But when I look it up, it's seldom true. Looked the UK up recently, and their murder rate was about the same as ours (per capita), at the time of their firearms ban. It then went up for a decade or so, as high as a 70% increase for a while. Now back where it was. Knife attacks and common crime is out of control in places like London. So no, UK is the same or worse regardless of restrictive laws. And no idea why murders jumped higher for a while. Australia confiscated, but admitted only a fraction of the known weapons were turned in (nor the unknown weapons). You could see in photos, a lot of it was pure junk. Have also heard new firearms sales tripled the amount that was taken away. And yes, their crime stats jumped for a while also. Odd, because some cities can have success, but an entire country is difficult. But not all of them, as in Chicago. Never even bothered looking up much about Canada, it's just not the same.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, ReconRat said:

I hear a lot of stats about Canada, UK and Australia. But when I look it up, it's seldom true. Looked the UK up recently, and their murder rate was about the same as ours (per capita), at the time of their firearms ban. It then went up for a decade or so, as high as a 70% increase for a while. Now back where it was. Knife attacks and common crime is out of control in places like London. So no, UK is the same or worse regardless of restrictive laws. And no idea why murders jumped higher for a while. Australia confiscated, but admitted only a fraction of the known weapons were turned in (nor the unknown weapons). You could see in photos, a lot of it was pure junk. Have also heard new firearms sales tripled the amount that was taken away. And yes, their crime stats jumped for a while also. Odd, because some cities can have success, but an entire country is difficult. But not all of them, as in Chicago. Never even bothered looking up much about Canada, it's just not the same.

Just a quick google search at breakfast gave me this...http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Crime/Violent-crime/Murder-rate-per-million-people.A little old but the U.S is close to three times the nearest of the others mentioned.

2 hours ago, drc32-0 said:

Just a quick google search at breakfast gave me this...http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Crime/Violent-crime/Murder-rate-per-million-people.A little old but the U.S is close to three times the nearest of the others mentioned.

This is the link I was looking for... I just saw the gun violence one when I opened this and got distracted lol ... How do these numbers compare before and after gun bans for AU for example? Overall murder is definitely much lower, but there could be plenty of cultural factors at play in that regard.. I'd be interested to see how banning guns impacted these numbers more than a straight compare... Not interested enough to go look for it though lol

Edited by Steve Butters

On 2/23/2018 at 5:33 AM, drc32-0 said:

On 2/23/2018 at 7:59 AM, Steve Butters said:

This is the link I was looking for... I just saw the gun violence one when I opened this and got distracted lol ... How do these numbers compare before and after gun bans for AU for example? Overall murder is definitely much lower, but there could be plenty of cultural factors at play in that regard.. I'd be interested to see how banning guns impacted these numbers more than a straight compare... Not interested enough to go look for it though lol

Yeah, like I said, I see all different statistics. The UK data I looked at was 5 years newer. Both countries had serious declines in totals during that time frame.  Noticed that UK appears to be 4 times lower than the US. Also noticed that difference is .03 of one percent per capita. Statistics will do whatever you want them to do. Some include suicides. Or firearms only. Or include shootings by law enforcement in the line of duty. Or do so for one and not the other. Those details are hidden. The noticeable trend, is to push an agenda with modified statistics, that is about 8 times worse than it really is. So back to where I started, not believing most statistics.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

I like the first line of your first link..."One punch assaults have claimed 90 Australian lives since 2000"

In 13 years the Aussies lost as many people as Chicago gun deaths average in two weeks!Just one American city.We should be as lucky as the Australians.

they lost 90 people to one highly specific method, The point is the pushes for new laws will never stop. They do have a 12th of our population spread over the same area.

The latest homicide in Australia report by the Australian Institute of Criminology (AIC) shows 13 per cent of people murdered in 2008/09 and 2009/10 were killed by firearms, down from 25 per cent in the late 1980s.  But knife murders have risen from 30 to 41 per cent over the last decade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, motocat12 said:

they lost 90 people to one highly specific method, The point is the pushes for new laws will never stop. They do have a 12th of our population spread over the same area.

The latest homicide in Australia report by the Australian Institute of Criminology (AIC) shows 13 per cent of people murdered in 2008/09 and 2009/10 were killed by firearms, down from 25 per cent in the late 1980s.  But knife murders have risen from 30 to 41 per cent over the last decade.

https://aic.gov.au/publications/mr/mr21

It looks like this is where you got your info.Something like 551 murders over two years?Again,We should be as lucky,or diligent,as Australia.

On 2/24/2018 at 3:58 PM, drc32-0 said:

https://aic.gov.au/publications/mr/mr21

It looks like this is where you got your info.Something like 551 murders over two years?Again,We should be as lucky,or diligent,as Australia.

But, a quick look at populations vs numbers per capita, it looks like the Australian murder rate is twice as high as the US... statistics can get really twisted, dunno...

3 hours ago, ReconRat said:

But, a quick look at populations vs numbers per capita, it looks like the Australian murder rate is twice as high as the US... statistics can get really twisted, dunno...

I am seeing the US being 4 times higher.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate#Australia

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/VC.IHR.PSRC.P5

20 hours ago, Tonik said:

Yup, and maybe a better count, listing only a single interpretation of homicide. Each country defines differently. Wondering if murders are mostly a major urban thing, but that's where the people are anyway. Maybe murder is a density of population thing.

6 hours ago, ReconRat said:

Yup, and maybe a better count, listing only a single interpretation of homicide. Each country defines differently. Wondering if murders are mostly a major urban thing, but that's where the people are anyway. Maybe murder is a density of population thing.

Well, you pretty much gotta have people to have murders!!!  :D

Support these liberal boycotted companies/and Avoid REI, MEC.

"As members of Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC), we call on MEC to immediately stop the sale of all Vista Outdoor brands. This Utah-based corporation is the owner of Savage Arms, one of the leading producers of semi-automatic weapons in the United States. 

Vista Outdoor brands for sale at MEC include: CamelBak, Giro, Bushnell, Bollé, Camp Chef, and Jimmy Styks." 

On 2/19/2018 at 7:16 AM, HeavyDuty said:

It may not happen in my life time but the truth is the 2nd amendment will fall the youth of today are being conditioned for it and are only to eager to throw  away their freedoms it's only a matter of time.

this subject is not new.  it is centuries old.  none of you complained after 911 when the patriot act stripped away many of your rights.  such as privacy.  just because you like guns and feel threatened now, you want to do something about it.  ironic.

btw, it has been argued for decades that the 2nd amendment was not guaranteeing the public can own and keep guns.  it's been misinterpreted.  you can argue with me all you want but scholars and historians disagree with the NRA's interpretation of the 2nd.  

you guys should be more concerned about governments like the one in georgia imposing tax increases on Delta for not honoring discounts to NRA members.  how is this even legal?  the NRA is not a gov entity and should have no sway of tax penalties. 

Edited by serpentracer
  • Upvote 1

On 2/20/2018 at 8:44 AM, Bubba said:

Folks love to bash H-D's, but they're no better or worse than any other motorcycle.

They're big, heavy, expensive cruisers that do a credible job of doing what they were designed to do.

I'd prolly have one in my bike stable if my wallet and my garage were up-sized.

• 2 years later...

Australia LOL. Good luck getting in, my sister went through that and had to have 6? months of living expenses in the bank, had to get a bunch of shots, and the wait was significant. Maybe they're full of Americans?

Their healthcare has its ups and downs. Some simple things have a 6 month wait where we can go to a clinic at Kroger here and be done in a few minutes. My Australian bro had to put off a long trip to Indochina because their healthcare system wouldn't do some weird surgery on a pinched artery or ? until it became super critical, which happened a few months later.

Banning of guns, LOL good luck with that. You'll still be able to get guns here long after motorcycles are gone.